Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4,891 of 22,960
"The balanced method has a few advantages over the unbalanced method. The first advantage is that the hot signal and the cold signal will remove the external noises received. The second advantage is increased output due to the 2 transmitted signals."

source: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak100/ak100_2_feature01.asp

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #4,892 of 22,960
I got my balanced silver cable today. I use it for my AK100II. I didn't really notice direct improvements so far. I listened to the songs that have specific features that stand out. The balanced output on the AK100II seems to have a much lower volume output. When I go balanced, I need to turn up the volume. When I did, I didn't hear improved sound. At the same volume level, the stock cable has a very impressive sound while the balanced setup sounds veiled and weak (bass, mids, dynamics). I don't like to increase the volume, because it's already at 48 out of 70.

Using the stock cable, level 48 is so loud that I often lower it. I don't blame the cable as it's pure silver which is as good as it gets. I think the balanced out of the AK100II leaves a bit to be desired. I expected it to have more or less the same sound with a completely black background.

I will test some more. It's hard to switch cables for comparison, because I don't want to wear down the connections.

Thanks s0ny, I will stay at the current unbalance jack, not very promising..Again thanks a bunch.

I might be getting. Ak120ii and do a shoot out and get to the bottom of dual dac vs single dac.. Oui, where is wallet? Gone!

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,893 of 22,960
I got my balanced silver cable today. I use it for my AK100II. I didn't really notice direct improvements so far. I listened to the songs that have specific features that stand out. The balanced output on the AK100II seems to have a much lower volume output. When I go balanced, I need to turn up the volume. When I did, I didn't hear improved sound. At the same volume level, the stock cable has a very impressive sound while the balanced setup sounds veiled and weak (bass, mids, dynamics). I don't like to increase the volume, because it's already at 48 out of 70.

Using the stock cable, level 48 is so loud that I often lower it. I don't blame the cable as it's pure silver which is as good as it gets. I think the balanced out of the AK100II leaves a bit to be desired. I expected it to have more or less the same sound with a completely black background.

I will test some more. It's hard to switch cables for comparison, because I don't want to wear down the connections.

It may be that the amplifier on the AK100II is underpowered. On the AK240 thread, I read a post by someone comparing the balanced output on the AK240 to his RSA Intruder. The reviewer stated he could hear very little difference on the AK240 balanced vs. single ended but when using a dedicated balanced amp like the Intruder the balanced output what noticeably better.

Also, remember Red Wine audio already sells the RWAK240 and the reason is they feel the stock AK240 amplifier is underpowered "especially with lower impedance headphones". (quoting Red Wine's web page). http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak240

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4,894 of 22,960
After 5 hours of listening, I switched back to the stock cable. I experimented with the volume level. If I lower the volume of the stock output from 48 to 45 (which is a lot lower), it sounds like the balanced setup. Same sound signature. I will test the balanced setup with 3 steps higher volume.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #4,895 of 22,960
It may be that the amplifier on the AK100II is underpowered. On the AK240 thread, I read a post by someone comparing the balanced output on the AK240 to his RSA Intruder. The reviewer stated he could hear very little difference on the AK240 balanced vs. single ended but when using a dedicated balanced amp like the Intruder the balanced output what noticeably better.

Also, remember Red Wine audio already sells the RWAK240 and the reason is they feel the stock AK240 amplifier is underpowered "especially with lower impedance headphones". (quoting Red Wine's web page). http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak240

Though I haven't heard any of the AK players I can wholeheartedly agree with spook. I'm running a balanced setup through my RSA Protector and the difference from SE is night and day. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,896 of 22,960
just got back from my AK adventure.  There was an apparent misunderstanding.  All they had was the older AK100 mark II.  I guess it could be confusion over version 2 and Mark 2.  

In any event, it did not sound bad but was underpowered and I thought my iPOD touch to RSA through the balanced output sounded a great deal better.  They are going to get in an AK240 and Calyx M shortly so I will head back and listen again in a couple of weeks.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,898 of 22,960
hello every one. I am totally new in this field. but since i got a pair of se846 as gift from my gf. i am now looking forward to a "finelooking" player that can pair with it. of course i hope the combination will give me good music. i am now thinking about AK100II. any suggestions?

btw i usuallly listen pops.

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #4,900 of 22,960
Friends with 8s and K10s. I need your help!

Can you tell me if the K10s are a worthy addition to my collection if I have the 8s?

I currently have SE846 as my universal, shove and go option and UM Miracles as my CIEM option. The 846s are leaving me finding the Miracles unnecessary in almost all areas (except perhaps a touch of agility and refinement compared to the 8s). I am contemplating selling a few bits and pieces to fund a pair of K10s to replace the Miracles, but for such an outlay I want to make sure that the K10s aren't going to also be over-shadowed by the 8s and their voodoo bass tricks.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4,902 of 22,960
  hello every one. I am totally new in this field. but since i got a pair of se846 as gift from my gf. i am now looking forward to a "finelooking" player that can pair with it. of course i hope the combination will give me good music. i am now thinking about AK100II. any suggestions?

btw i usuallly listen pops.

You have a great GF!

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #4,903 of 22,960
  Friends with 8s and K10s. I need your help!

Can you tell me if the K10s are a worthy addition to my collection if I have the 8s?

I currently have SE846 as my universal, shove and go option and UM Miracles as my CIEM option. The 846s are leaving me finding the Miracles unnecessary in almost all areas (except perhaps a touch of agility and refinement compared to the 8s). I am contemplating selling a few bits and pieces to fund a pair of K10s to replace the Miracles, but for such an outlay I want to make sure that the K10s aren't going to also be over-shadowed by the 8s and their voodoo bass tricks.

Well K10 will focus on the Mids and Treble and its bass will be lacking compared to the 846, 8c or even the 5c.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #4,904 of 22,960
  Well K10 will focus on the Mids and Treble and its bass will be lacking compared to the 846, 8c or even the 5c.

Total respect, but you know the K10 and the 8C have the same bass drivers and same bass tuning? The Wizard's said that on HF a time or two, I believe (and in pm with me). The K10 have a lot of great bass, but you have to have a good fit to hear it. Great mids and treble, too, of course, but fit will definitely affect the bass, so maybe it was a fit issue when you demo'd the k10, possibly.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #4,905 of 22,960
Total respect, but you know the K10 and the 8C have the same bass drivers and same bass tuning? The Wizard's said that on HF a time or two, I believe (and in pm with me). The K10 have a lot of great bass, but you have to have a good fit to hear it. Great mids and treble, too, of course, but fit will definitely affect the bass, so maybe it was a fit issue when you demo'd the k10, possibly.

The K10s have plenty of bass. The overall sound is not bassy, but the bass is there when demanded by your music. It can be a little bit tricky when trying out the show demo units. The first time I tried the 8, I didn't have a good seal and didn't really think it was bass heavy at all. I think the K10s are very nicely balanced and quite detailed. I don't ever find them lacking anything compared with my other iems and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back