Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #4,921 of 22,960
  Is there a place in Hong Kong with room and not too many people? Haha I got the balance cable made of Copper/Silver/Gold. Huge improvement in the Mids and Treble so much I am playing the music louder why cause it sounds so good. The main office opens at 2 PM and They will let you demo all they have.

LOL, really Hong Kong is always full of man power. So how much you pay for your Labkable Copper/Silver/Gold cable?

Back to hot topic now, never try the K10 before but anybody compare it to the 1964 Ears V6 or V8?

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #4,925 of 22,960
  Both are nice but I would pick the 846.

Honestly before I bought the 846 I was considering the s-em6, never have a chance to listen to the s-em6 but once I tested the 846 near my local distributor I bought it without second though
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,927 of 22,960
The thing about the 846 is that you can make some serious alterations to the sound shape via filters and tips. Go back a few pages to where I was arguing with someone about how bassy the 846's are compared to the HiFiMan HE500. Turns out he was using the yellow foams which REALLY tame the sub-bass of them, which some people absolutely love. You can turn these things into bass goliaths (silicones and black filter) all the way down to bright (no filter and yellows). I'd argue that they're "designed" to be somewhere in the middle, I feel like blues and normal foams is how Shure meant for them to be, but that doesn't mean it's "correct".

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,929 of 22,960
Hey the great thing is that we have choices with the 846.  I like white, others like the other filters.  We can all change the sound without touching the EQ and I happen to think that is a good thing.  Also, as you explore tips you can fine tune a hair more. 

The SE846 succeeds in its flexibility and ability to scale up to higher sources.  

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #4,931 of 22,960
Agree that Shure may have tuned with blue filter in mind and naming scheme supports that but I agree with prev poster the white tips should be labelled as "neutral" rather than "bright"

I would agree, I think the white is neutral. I like a brighter sound so I removed the filters entirely and run the 8s on full afterburner.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4,933 of 22,960
  Hey the great thing is that we have choices with the 846.  I like white, others like the other filters.  We can all change the sound without touching the EQ and I happen to think that is a good thing.  Also, as you explore tips you can fine tune a hair more. 

The SE846 succeeds in its flexibility and ability to scale up to higher sources.  

Absolutely. I hate software EQ'ing because you're only able to tune it as much as a given musical source allows you to, or you have to carry around an extra device. Let me swap tips and filters around and bang. No matter what I plug into, I have the sound I want.

My only issue with the whites is that it adds a hump at a VERY specific spot (around 8000Hz) rather than just raising the response all along the curve. Not sure if that's really an improvement, but I might try it out, see how it feels with the Westone tips and the Fiio cable.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4,934 of 22,960
I also think the filters are properly named and I think the white ones are too "shiny" (as in spike at a particular frequency). I prefer black because it yields a thicker note (IMO).

I would argue tips (and tip placement) are slightly more important than even filters and source.

I also discovered that I prefer the attenuator after going a week without using one. It seems to reduce (what I believe to be) ringing.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4,935 of 22,960
Yeah the  more I use the whites, the less I'm sure about 'em. I like the idea of "unfiltered" sound, but according to the charts it's not an overall brightening so much as at that one spot. But I'm gonna give a few days and see how it tickles my fancy. Black was just TOO warm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back