Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #4,936 of 22,960
  I also think the filters are properly named and I think the white ones are too "shiny" (as in spike at a particular frequency). I prefer black because it yields a thicker note (IMO).

I would argue tips (and tip placement) are slightly more important than even filters and source.

I also discovered that I prefer the attenuator after going a week without using one. It seems to reduce (what I believe to be) ringing.

When you say attenuator, do you mean the inline volume control?

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4,937 of 22,960
To continue the 846 love fest, the best part of the design is that no matter what filter (or no filter) you like, you are right. Shure did not dictate how the 846 should sound they left to us, helpless Meat Puppets, to decide. Finally, no matter the filter choice, the BASS remains.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,938 of 22,960
To continue the 846 love fest, the best part of the design is that no matter what filter (or no filter) you like, you are right. Shure did not dictate how the 846 should sound they left to us, helpless Meat Puppets, to decide. Finally, no matter the filter choice, the BASS remains.

Exactly. And hell if you think the bass is too much, swap some tips out and boom! Tamed bass. You can turn these things into subwoofer goliaths by putting the blacks in and using the silicone tips, then pop the filters out and use the yellow foams and now it's a flat, even slightly bright response. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #4,939 of 22,960
Filters are also be dependent on music files and source.  I use FLAC and ALAC through a RSA balanced amp and Silver Litz cables.  With my source it is not analytical AT ALL....I am very sensitive to hot treble.  

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4,940 of 22,960

When you say attenuator, do you mean the inline volume control?

Yes, I was referring to the inline volume control that came with the 846. Well,  I don't know which Shure earphone my volume control came with because I have 6 of them (some I purchased separately).

Some of the volume controllers have gold connectors inside the housing and others have a sliver colored connector. I have to open them periodically to adjust the connector because it gets loose after so many plug/unplug occurrences.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,941 of 22,960
Everyday I love my 846 and Spotify more and more, but then I hate my g3 sound even more and more. Its been nothing but buggy sound wise. Everything else about it is flawless. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,942 of 22,960
  Everyday I love my 846 and Spotify more and more, but then I hate my g3 sound even more and more. Its been nothing but buggy sound wise. Everything else about it is flawless. 

Buggy how? Are you getting the hiss and static? If so, maybe return it. I've had nothing but pleasant surprises out of mine. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #4,944 of 22,960
Personally I tried all 3 filters and settled on the black (warm) filter. I guess besides personal tastes, it also depends on what type of music you prefer. I listen to a lot of vocals, and the black filter gives the voices a nice warmth, and even the blue filters although more neutral, still were a bit "shouty". With the black filters I can listen for hours without stopping; with the blue filters, sometimes female vocals would make listening fatigue set in after a while. But in general terms, the blue filters are probably more accurate, whatever that means. I tried the white ones for a few minutes and decided they are not for me. For vocals they are just too shouty and it was like the singers are singing right beside your ears.

For tips I am now using the triple flange, with the top part cut off (now a double flange). If not for the bigger housing and the cabling problems, I would have preferred the black foams, but I can't get a deep insertion with them so I have to use the triple/double flange because it has a longer stem.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,945 of 22,960
  Personally I tried all 3 filters and settled on the black (warm) filter. I guess besides personal tastes, it also depends on what type of music you prefer. I listen to a lot of vocals, and the black filter gives the voices a nice warmth, and even the blue filters although more neutral, still were a bit "shouty". With the black filters I can listen for hours without stopping; with the blue filters, sometimes female vocals would make listening fatigue set in after a while. But in general terms, the blue filters are probably more accurate, whatever that means. I tried the white ones for a few minutes and decided they are not for me. For vocals they are just too shouty and it was like the singers are singing right beside your ears.

For tips I am now using the triple flange, with the top part cut off (now a double flange). If not for the bigger housing and the cabling problems, I would have preferred the black foams, but I can't get a deep insertion with them so I have to use the triple/double flange because it has a longer stem.

I really liked the vocals on the black filters too, GoSUV. I'm actually thinking about trying them again now - I like the extra "air" of the whites, but really liked the mid-range focus from the blacks - it reminded me a bit of the TG334s (just the mid-range focus)

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4,946 of 22,960
Since I stopped eating any (and all) dairy products 3 years (or so) ago, I've had no sinus or earwax issues at all. During a recent medical exam, my doctor said my ears were quite clean. So why am I bringing this up here? Well, I ate something in a restaurant last week that may have contained dairy. The result was minor active sinuses and some very rare earwax activity. I found myself (almost unconsciously) turning down the bass and turning up the treble during this little episode. I'm back to normal now. I picked up the 846 today for the first time since Saturday. Man was that thing bright and peaky with last week's source settings. And,  of course, there's less sub-bass as well.

Earwax must be nature's Dynamat or the equivalent of moving furniture around in a room with speakers. I've always known about the earwax effect but that was more than I thought for such a minor episode.So, if I put a little butter on my dinner roll tonight, I can have increased sub-bass at work tomorrow. I think I'll just turn it back up in my source settings instead.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4,947 of 22,960
I always thought that eating cheesecake would have an effect on my bottom end, but this proves it!

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4,948 of 22,960
  I always thought that eating cheesecake would have an effect on my bottom end, but this proves it!

Nice double-entendre.

I do realize my reaction to diary is perhaps unusual. For years, I blamed my sinus/earwax problems on temperature, seasons, pollen, dust, and whatnot (and all the while it was some of my favorite foods).

I lost my "bottom end" when I gave up pizza and ice cream. I could have been on a show called The Biggest Sonic Loser.

P.S. I got my "bottom end" back when I bought the 846, but not the 40 pounds.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4,949 of 22,960

Another vote for black - maybe we should start a poll. 
smily_headphones1.gif
.  I tried the blues for a couple of days when I first got mine but to use someone else's term  - "too shouty" . Once again, maybe more accurate but not the sound I want to listen to for a long time. I never even bothered with the whites - figured if the blues were too bright, the whites would be even worse of course. I know the filters aren't supposed to effect the bass but I seem to recall the blues having more edge to the bass with the blacks being ever so slightly softer. Would be neat if you could really A B the filters but they take too long to change (for my short memory)

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4,950 of 22,960
Man... I'm just trying to spend some time with the blues.... at some point in the future I will try one of the others... delayed gratification... 

I'm also afraid to destroy my 846's... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back