Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4,862 of 22,954
  Hi All, 

A quick story from my travels.  I purchased my latest w60's from earphone solutions and they were great.  However, I have purchased all my Shures from my local airport In Motion Store.  They had my 846s for me on day since I am a regular.  They also give me a respectable discount.  Additionally, when my first set of 846s died, they did an immediate in-store swap for me.  Hard to beat that kind of service.

In any event, I fly quite a bit and have gotten to know a few of the managers and employees. Last week, I had a flight delay and stopped in to talk to the store manager.  They had the 846s out and I chatted with them for a bit.  They saw my Ted Allen Litz cables and began to ask questions.  One thing led to another and I had a full fledged demo going with their sources through my RSA intruder, through silver litz and into the 846s the store owned.  (obviously the store was completely vacant).  The number of times I heard "wow", "let me listen to one more song", "the treble improved" and so on made me laugh. I stand by my own assessment that balanced amp to balanced silver litz from Ted gave my 25-30% more sound but to hear that same reaction from 4 other folks was really something.

My point is that if you have the means and desire to squeeze out more sound out of the 846, the silver litz from Ted and a balanced amp is money well spent.  

Happy Friday all!

Nice story, M Coupe!

I occasionally find the 846's treble to be a little harsh (not that there's too much, just that it's got a bit of edge to it). Would you say that the silver litz cable smooths the treble out at all?

I really love the bass of the 8s, but I'm still restless and considering whether I save up for a Noble K10 or continue to try and tweak the 8s with a nice cable seeing that they're 95% perfect to my ears.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,864 of 22,954

Nice story, M Coupe!

I occasionally find the 846's treble to be a little harsh (not that there's too much, just that it's got a bit of edge to it). Would you say that the silver litz cable smooths the treble out at all?

I really love the bass of the 8s, but I'm still restless and considering whether I save up for a Noble K10 or continue to try and tweak the 8s with a nice cable seeing that they're 95% perfect to my ears.

Silver usually makes the music become brighter. In my experience you can try High grade copper with silver but what really made the Treble and Mids improve dramatically was a cable that was made of Copper/Silver/Gold.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4,865 of 22,954
My silver cables from Ted are in the mail! Will hope to use blue filter on 8s (the default) and have the cables improve the treble. Then I need to stop spending money and listen to music!

By the way, where in Hk is a good place or website to buy HD audio?

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4,866 of 22,954
My silver cables from Ted are in the mail! Will hope to use blue filter on 8s (the default) and have the cables improve the treble. Then I need to stop spending money and listen to music!

By the way, where in Hk is a good place or website to buy HD audio?

That's exactly what I ended up doing with my silver cables from Ted - stayed with the blue filters.  Treble improved tremendously.  I think white filters would be too bright after that.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4,867 of 22,954
I have a Plussound X8 silver & gold/copper Hybrid coming that will fit my 846 - and maybe my 850 - The more I listen to the 846, the more I appreciate it.....

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4,869 of 22,954

How would you compare the 846 to the 8.A?

8A is lusher - warmer - both have great mids - highs in the 846 more prominent (I have only used blue nozzles) - bass emphasis on lower frequencies with 846 - I am only recently spending more time with the 846 - and enjoying them a great deal... At first I didn't understand the hullabaloo, but after some hours - and source matching, I am extremely impressed with the 846 - wow

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #4,870 of 22,954
Its less so power, more so quality. The fiio e18 is a DAC.
The g3 sound is okay... But could be better.

I'm running Z1 compact -> E18 -> SE846 and love the E18 for its DAC. Amp is a bit too powerful for IEMs, have to stay between 3 and 4 on the knob.
E18's DAC has much better instrument separation and great sound stage. Sound stage is better than DX90, to my ears.

E18 is a great performer and value for the price. Considering, it can act as a external battery pack and a desktop USB DAC for PC/Mac.
One more issue with E18 is that it picks EMI too easily, and is audible via HO, when stacked with phones. It was bad with iPhone 5, better with z1 compact.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #4,873 of 22,954
  but it does something to the sound also people have platinium now

HP cable upgrade is like a religion.  Some believe.  Others don't.  I am atheist.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,874 of 22,954
I upgrade my cable when I have a physical problem with the old. I have the Fiio replacement because I hated the feel of the stock. That was enough for me.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,875 of 22,954
  but it does something to the sound also people have platinium now

I heard of platinum but honestly I really don't heard of gold cable~~ Wao, I really like to listen to it if I can found one, but the price...damn I think I better buy a gold bar instead of a gold cable LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back