Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,831 of 22,954
  The old 120 or the 120ii,
So many choices and opinions. IF I sit on my hands I can wait for the SONY to come to these shores then I can hear the AK and even the Fiio and THEN find the best price I can on the one I like best.

SONY does not even post the impedance so in the end I will have to trust my ears. Hiss would be a killer.

My best option is still for SHURE to build me the perfect DAP. How hard could it be and that would be a nice round out to the Consumer department and perhaps even a tool for musicians (Recording capability).....

Or maybe....., Of course! What would young Eric Cartman do?   ...

Dear Make a wish foundation,

I am very sick (of my iPod) I am being treated with heavy doses of Cowbell and Pink Floyd. I have months of treatment ahead with an uncertain prognosis....They say there is no cure.

Each day I need more and more cowbell and still grow sicker (of my iPod). I do not know if a cure will find me in time so I am turning to you for my final wish before...... My perfect DAP only that can lift me from the gloom of my sickness and give my ears a new lease on Life.....Oh and not to seem ungrateful or anything but could you make sure it is 500GB and full loaded with FLAC 24bit Files of all my music and the attached wish list of recent remasters.

Oi And don't skimp on the Balanced Out ya smug self righteous do gooding bastards... Oh Sorry its the sickness (of my iPod )it makes me write the most horrible things. No inside pen is one of the symptoms of this incurable but preventable sickness

Thanking you in advance,

Monty Burns

either will work well. Old would be good due to price, but it might be hard to find. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,834 of 22,954
  I would aim at the AK120.

Yes I just finished. Very disappointing. Sort of reminds me of the Delorean when it came out when I was  - younger. A sizzle on the outside - nothing under the hood.

SONY ZX1

The AK 100ii is worth a listen. No Dual DAC like on the 120ii but also considerably less. And to be honest I am not so clear as to the advantages of a Dual DAC.

$900-$1000 Balanced and regular output 64gb built in (120ii has 128 built in). And it can play FLAC etc.

He says the iPod is a great player BUT it still will not play hi resolution (Which saves me a huge amount of time reburning my collection or downloading FLAC).
So I can stay with my iPod classic,
I am very fuzzy as to why the AK impedance is too high for the 8s. But then I am a bit thick that way.

Each has advantages each a drawback

SHURE make us a player or Brand one with someone so that it does what it does optimized to your 8s.

Not too much to ask.

From what I can see in the specs, it has 32 GB built in and max 64 GB sd capacity (2 cards)

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #4,835 of 22,954

The 120ii is a big price jump up from the 100ii for what appears to be more storage and the Dual DAC (do I need 2?)

The X5 is certainly cost efficient I popped in to look at it and saw the AK instead. ...Shiny object.

This part is harder than picking an IEM.

I hope I put half has much thought into the Hardwood and new windows I have to put into my house. Renos are a good time to pick up small shiny toys as they seem not so pricy next to things you need but do not want. Window do not make the heart race. Hardwood floors do not allow one to transcend the self.

Oh do the X3 and X5 sound the same with the 8s

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4,836 of 22,954
wow this thread moves fast!

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,838 of 22,954

The 120ii is a big price jump up from the 100ii for what appears to be more storage and the Dual DAC (do I need 2?)

The X5 is certainly cost efficient I popped in to look at it and saw the AK instead. ...Shiny object.

I hope I put half has much thought into the Hardwood and new windows I have to put into my house. Renos are a good time to pick up small shiny toys as they seem not so pricy next to things you need but do not want. Window do not make the heart race. Hardwood floors do not allow one to transcend the self.

If you polish them up real nice - they can give you a thin layer of sweat....

On the subject of SE846..

I just got back from a business trip to Montana - driving up from Southern California - and flying back from Billings, MT....

I didn't see any of our preferred devices "out in the wild" - I got a few glances from some of the racers (drag races at the airstrip in Red Lodge, MT) ... The isolation with both Westone Tru Fit and Shure Olives sufficient to drown out 396's and 440's....

I wanted to share by bounty, but circumstances prevailed and a suitable time never arrived...

Any Head Fiers in Montana????

The plane ride home was sublime - a mix of Steely Dan & Rage Against The Machine - with some 24 bit Rush to fill in the spaces in-between.

Glad to be back

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #4,839 of 22,954

All three sounds a bit different but the AK120II sound stage is close to the 240. Also the AK120II is a bit more analog sounding compared to the 240.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,844 of 22,954
My 846 sounds better on my DX90 than my iPhone 5 - although the 5 sounds pretty good.... Now through my iMac via RSA Predator - the 846 bass response is different - don't know output impedance on the Predator (which makes all my other phones sound GREAT) - maybe it is the 9 ohm dealiewhacker...

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4,845 of 22,954
  My 846 sounds better on my DX90 than my iPhone 5 - although the 5 sounds pretty good.... Now through my iMac via RSA Predator - the 846 bass response is different - don't know output impedance on the Predator (which makes all my other phones sound GREAT) - maybe it is the 9 ohm dealiewhacker...

Great that a small Dap makes it sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back