Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #271 of 22,945
So we have bad build quality (hopefully good customer service...), incredible 10khz limit (who hears past 10khz anyway right..), very good bass capabilities but forgotten mids and highs. I am having difficulties to understand how come there are so many people who likes this iems so much.

You claim poor build quality on what one person's unfortunate experience?

The bass is incredible and the midrange is the sweetest I have ever heard. The treble is polite but present especially with the white (bright) filters or a touch of EQ. Like the 535 before it, the 846 is very ear tip dependent. Find the right fit and materials and it sounds amazing. As one previous poster noticed when he switched tips. Here is a thought, why don't you buy or demo one instead of sitting in the sidelines and criticizing something you haven't heard.

The 846 also like the 535 is a very scalable IEM, add an amp and/or different cables and they can open up an already great IEM.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #272 of 22,945
You claim poor build quality on what one person's unfortunate experience?

The bass is incredible and the midrange is the sweetest I have ever heard. The treble is polite but present especially with the white (bright) filters or a touch of EQ. Like the 535 before it, the 846 is very ear tip dependent. Find the right fit and materials and it sounds amazing. As one previous poster noticed when he switched tips. Here is a thought, why don't you buy or demo one instead of sitting in the sidelines and criticizing something you haven't heard.

The 846 also like the 535 is a very scalable IEM, add an amp and/or different cables and they can open up an already great IEM.

It's not 1 person. I saw at least several just in head-fi, so if I have been looking over the internet to find more, probably I would.

I am gonna demo them as soon as I have a chance but so far nothing I read interests me. It seems like something ordinary for that price, not like mind blowing, new era starter iem.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #273 of 22,945
  It's not 1 person. I saw at least several just in head-fi, so if I have been looking over the internet to find more, probably I would.

I am gonna demo them as soon as I have a chance but so far nothing I read interests me. It seems like something ordinary for that price, not like mind blowing, new era starter iem.

I don't think they are ever hyped to be such in the first place.... highly anticipated - yes, but I guess most people are anticipating an evolution of the se535.

To Shure's credit I think they did achieve that and give us an improved iem that has better clarity, bass response, and better micro-contrast than the se535.  Having said that, there are plenty of people who don't rate se535 that highly in the first place....

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #274 of 22,945

The low pass filter does represent like the freq phase from JH Audio a leap forward in IEMs. Instead of simply adding more armitures. However, since you have never heard the 846, it is impossible to argue with your preconceived misconceptions.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #275 of 22,945
For what my opinion worth, I really enjoy the sound of the SE846.  I've even started second guessing my HD700's (which I generally like, even though there is quite a few people that don't like them), thinking I like the sound sig in the 846 better and should try to find cans with a  similar sound sig.  I've listened to it side by side with my UE900, SE425, and ER-4P, and the SE846 bests all of them in all areas.  Micro detail is great, mids are wonderful (as is expected from Shure), soundstage is best I've heard from my limited experience with IEM's(also have experience with Monster turbine coppers, westone 4r, um3x), and low end extension is wonderful without being too bass heavy.  I don't see myself getting a new set of IEM's in the near future.  If I did, I would likely start looking at dynamic/BA hybrids.  You really have to listen to these yourself with a good seal in order to make your decisions about them.  I was honestly very on the fence at first for paying that much for them, and after 2-3hrs of listening, I knew there was no way I was going to send them back.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #276 of 22,945
On the last page I just read that 3 different headfiers had either the left or right side of the iem stop working all together. I'm wondering if it is a cable issue with these type of connectors. Shure and UE with the UE900 have been having these issues. Anyone experiencing sound cutting out on either side?

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #278 of 22,945
The low pass filter does represent like the freq phase from JH Audio a leap forward in IEMs. Instead of simply adding more armitures. However, since you have never heard the 846, it is impossible to argue with your preconceived misconceptions.

It's the same technology that JVC uses in it's HA-FXZ100 and FXZ200. Not a unique leap forward but perhaps a VG way to do bass. They added more armitures to do their bass design as well. A JH13 doesn't need the extra mid an tweeter for it's bass response or even linearity and does them for other reasons. It has the same bass driver compliment as the Shure. I haven't heard the Shure so no comment on comparison but there's nothing earth shattering here. It may still be te best thing since sliced bread but it would be because of attention to detail as much as any new technology. Doing crossovers like jh is also not new though it may be to the IEM world. It's always about execution.

Unless you can design these yourself, you should leave the tech to others and trust your ears. Glad you like your purchase.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #279 of 22,945
On the last page I just read that 3 different headfiers had either the left or right side of the iem stop working all together. I'm wondering if it is a cable issue with these type of connectors. Shure and UE with the UE900 have been having these issues. Anyone experiencing sound cutting out on either side?

Thank you Rip. I owned the 535 before my 846 and the sound occasionally cuts out on both. For me it always is because the connectors got dirty. My advice is to buy some DeToxIT red and clean the connection about once a month. After cleaning them the problem always went away.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #280 of 22,945
The shop near my place hasn't got them in stock yet. When they do, I will be able to audition them. The Shure iem line up has been having issues with the new connectors and it appears the SE846 is not immune to this issue. I had the SE215 and SE535 but experienced no issues however, others have. Take a look at the Shure and UE900 threads. I can also audition the K3003i which the owner claims is the best iem he has heard so far. I will compare the two and probably end up buying one or the other.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #281 of 22,945

It's the same technology that JVC uses in it's HA-FXZ100 and FXZ200. Not a unique leap forward but perhaps a VG way to do bass. They added more armitures to do their bass design as well. A JH13 doesn't need the extra mid an tweeter for it's bass response or even linearity and does them for other reasons. It has the same bass driver compliment as the Shure. I haven't heard the Shure so no comment on comparison but there's nothing earth shattering here. It may still be te best thing since sliced bread but it would be because of attention to detail as much as any new technology. Doing crossovers like jh is also not new though it may be to the IEM world. It's always about execution.

Unless you can design these yourself, you should leave the tech to others and trust your ears. Glad you like your purchase.

With the FXZ series, there's basically a filter, only taking out low region information from the back 10mm driver. With these, the filter is more proactive as it basically increases the mass of the dedicated woofer, which in turn increases bass depth from the small BA. Very different, I'll say. Shure needs to work on their treble though....

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #282 of 22,945
Thank you Rip. I owned the 535 before my 846 and the sound occasionally cuts out on both. For me it always is because the connectors got dirty. My advice is to buy some DeToxIT red and clean the connection about once a month. After cleaning them the problem always went away.

I think I'm going to get some DeToxIT. It's helped quite a few people out with their issue. Did the problem ever come back over time?

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #283 of 22,945
I've never experienced cutting out with my UE900's, SE425s, or SE846's.  I am admittedly not very hard on them, however.  I feel I should also probably get some DeToxIT to prevent future issues.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #285 of 22,945
  With the FXZ series, there's basically a filter, only taking out low region information from the back 10mm driver. With these, the filter is more proactive as it basically increases the mass of the dedicated woofer, which in turn increases bass depth from the small BA. Very different, I'll say. Shure needs to work on their treble though....

Same principal for both. I also mistermed it. I meant bandpass enclosure. Air pressure is air pressure reardless the source. 2 BA or one dynamic. The rest is tuning. I'm done with this line of thought so refute away.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back