Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #256 of 22,945
Oh that was funny!

Back on topic - My amp should show up on Thursday evening! My LCD 2.2/Woo Audio WA6-SE come in tomorrow. It is going to be tough to decide what to listen too on Thursday lol!

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #257 of 22,945
This is my initial reaction to changes to my IEMs. I fully expect to have more developed opinons about what I hear later but thought I would share initial reactions.

Quick update. I will share more after I spend more time with the new items. I took advice from a friend here, Spook76, and ordered the RSA Intruder and Ted's (Headphone Lounge) silver cables. The RSA came yesterday so I had some seat time with the stock cable and the amp. Late this afternoon the Silver cables came.

I am being honest here...the silver cables made the bigger difference. Let me qualify that I changed 2 variables. I went to balanced and new cables. My point is that I acknowled that this could be the advantage of balanced vs. single ended, the cables themselves or both. That being said, the RSA gave me a little more snap to the bass and improved imaging. The silver cables/balanced output just made the phones more engaging. I know there are cable haters out there so I am saying this at my own risk. These silver cables were:
1. beatifully constructed
2. Much more comfortable than stock
3. Sound. They brought a little more shimmer to the top end without being analytical. During the same time, I recieved the WA6-SE and Audeze LCD 2.2. I can honestly say that my configuration with RSA/Ted's cables/846s are just as enjoyable as my WA6-SE LCD 2.2 setup. They are different, don't mistake me, but they are just as enjoyable. I could easily see anyone with LCD 2.2.'s that are looking for a portable solution enjoying the 846's.
4. A good value. There are plenty of overpriced cables out there. Ted's cables are fairly priced.

More later.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #258 of 22,945
This is my initial reaction to changes to my IEMs. I fully expect to have more developed opinons about what I hear later but thought I would share initial reactions.

Quick update. I will share more after I spend more time with the new items. I took advice from a friend here, Spook76, and ordered the RSA Intruder and Ted's (Headphone Lounge) silver cables. The RSA came yesterday so I had some seat time with the stock cable and the amp. Late this afternoon the Silver cables came.

I am being honest here...the silver cables made the bigger difference. The RSA gave me a little more snap to the bass and improved imaging. The silver cables just made the phones more engaging. I know there are cable haters out there so I am saying this at my own risk. These silver cables were:
1. beatifully constructed
2. Much more comfortable than stock
3. Sound. They brought a little more shimmer to the top end without being analytical. During the same time, I recieved the WA6-SE and Audeze LCD 2.2. I can honestly say that my configuration with RSA/Ted's cables/846s are just as enjoyable as my WA6-SE LCD 2.2 setup. They are different, don't mistake me, but they are just as enjoyable. I could easily see anyone with LCD 2.2.'s that are looking for a portable solution enjoying the 846's.

More later.
Congrats on the killer setup. However, you can't really say the 'silver' cable made the biggest difference if you also went from stock cable to a balanced cable w/ balanced amp. My guess would be the 'balanced' part makes a bigger difference than the 'silver' part.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #259 of 22,945
So funny...I reread my post and edited that point to acknowledge that(while you were typing your great comment). I agree with you. What would be more fair is to say balanced silver cables from Ted easily trump the sound of my RSA singled ended to stock cables. Also, the RSA in single ended trumps the output coming out of my iphone with stock cable.

Thanks for the good catch.

Cheers :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #260 of 22,945
Coupe,

I am so glad you like your setup (it is a killer rig). Now you know what I was telling you, once you go to a balanced amp like the RSA with OCC silver cables you cannot imagine listning any other way. I hate to tell you but the sound is only going to get better as you burn in the Intruder. Ray Samuels suggests 100-200 hours before you burn in the amp.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #261 of 22,945
How much difference do you notice from other good amps?  I am running a RSA Shadow with Forza hybrid cables, would it even be worthwhile to sell that off and go to a balanced setup?

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #262 of 22,945
How much difference do you notice from other good amps?  I am running a RSA Shadow with Forza hybrid cables, would it even be worthwhile to sell that off and go to a balanced setup?

If you can get a good resale price, I think the level of detail and clarity garnered from a balanced amp/balanced OCC silver cables is well worth the additional cost. The RSA Shadow is a great amp it really depends on what particular sound you are seeking.

I learned an important thing from fellow Head-Fier Jelt (he started this thread) that at your level it is not really good/bad but differences in the sonic signature. Jelt has both the RSA Protector with silver balanced cables and the Portaphile 627 single output amp and prefers the Portaphile 627.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #263 of 22,945
For those (rare) moments when I find I want a brighter, clearer sound, I also find myself reaching for my Apex Glacier. These IEMs change quite a lot depending on amp/source. It's nice to have options :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #264 of 22,945
Did anyone of you guys ever compare a balanced setup to active balanced ground by Jan Meier's Stepdance/Quickstep amps?

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #265 of 22,945
I ho
Did anyone of you guys ever compare a balanced setup to active balanced ground by Jan Meier's Stepdance/Quickstep amps?
I own the meier quickstep. Its active balanced ground mean no re cabling needed . It sounds great!!
I think some other member has compared it and put it on same table as ray samuels and lisa triad amp as being awesome.
That's not my review though.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #266 of 22,945
I went to listen to a friend's brand new SE846's this morning and the left driver died before I could put them on. Are there any reports of these types of things happening?

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #267 of 22,945
You sure it wasn't a cable problem?

Having said that though, I'm sure with every IEM, problems happen....

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #270 of 22,945
So we have bad build quality (hopefully good customer service...), incredible 10khz limit (who hears past 10khz anyway right..), very good bass capabilities but forgotten mids and highs. I am having difficulties to understand how come there are so many people who likes this iems so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back