Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #22,501 of 22,960
Can anyone recommend other earphones that take the same size tips as the Sure SE846? I use the Comply Professional ear tips on my Sure Se846 after testing a number of different types those were the best for my ear size. Just want to know if there are any other IEM models that take these size ear tips?

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #22,502 of 22,960
They probably sound the same as what they did 5 years ago…
I would advice a good amp/dac.
Given that you use them directly through a lightning converter with no external DAC/Amp, I probably wouldn’t worry.

What player do you use?
not using a decent dac/amp is quite a shame, I tried it once out of curiousity, and

I was shocked how bad it sounded. If you wouldn’t have known better, you would say the se846 is mediocre at best. Even the bluetooth shure TW2 set sounds better than the lightning connector!

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #22,503 of 22,960
I would advice a good amp/dac.

not using a decent dac/amp is quite a shame, I tried it once out of curiousity, and

I was shocked how bad it sounded. If you wouldn’t have known better, you would say the se846 is mediocre at best. Even the bluetooth shure TW2 set sounds better than the lightning connector!
What are you talking about? The lightning dongle sounds twice as good as the TW2. Not knocking the TW2 by any means but wired is just so much better than Bluetooth.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #22,505 of 22,960
Completely agree - i couldnt leave my 846’s on the tw2. Just doesnt do them justice
I have no problems keeping one of mine on the TW2. It's what you want to get out of them and how you intend to use them. I would rather not carry around an extra DAC/amp or deal with wires when commuting, grilling a steak or doing some yard work. I do have a second set for when I want wired but I rarely have time these days to be tethered to anything.

@sa_ill Many of us still like the SE846. Others may have found something they personally like better. I recently picked up a Gen 2 (my second SE846) and have been very happy with both Gen 1 and Gen 2 (red filter is growing on me). To be honest, I think only you can answer your question for yourself. Is there something you want that is different in terms of sound signature/tuning? Do you feel like you are missing something? Everyone is different in terms of preferences and heariny so don't feel like you have to like a certain sound or IEM. Nothing wrong with trying something new. If you are getting a case of "upgradeitis," I totally get it...sometimes you just have to scratch that itch (or itches). In my opinion, the more exciting advances are in wireless tech but it doesnt diminish the value of the SE846 for me. Over the last year and half or so, I have bought, kept and still use the Shure Aonic 50, Sony Linkbuds, Senn MTW3, B&W Px7 S2, Shure SE846 Gen2, B&W Px8, and Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro. I still use my SE846 Gen 1 with the TW2 and they are a great combo in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #22,506 of 22,960
What are you talking about? The lightning dongle sounds twice as good as the TW2. Not knocking the TW2 by any means but wired is just so much better than Bluetooth.
I agree, just really don’t like the lightning dongle. Tried it, almost let me sent the shures se846 back, until I used a decent dac/amp, now I really like the shure se846

Dec 29, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #22,507 of 22,960
Can anyone recommend other earphones that take the same size tips as the Sure SE846? I use the Comply Professional ear tips on my Sure Se846 after testing a number of different types those were the best for my ear size. Just want to know if there are any other IEM models that take these size ear tips?

Etymotics uses the same small bore tips.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #22,508 of 22,960
I have no problems keeping one of mine on the TW2. It's what you want to get out of them and how you intend to use them. I would rather not carry around an extra DAC/amp or deal with wires when commuting, grilling a steak or doing some yard work. I do have a second set for when I want wired but I rarely have time these days to be tethered to anything.

@sa_ill Many of us still like the SE846. Others may have found something they personally like better. I recently picked up a Gen 2 (my second SE846) and have been very happy with both Gen 1 and Gen 2 (red filter is growing on me). To be honest, I think only you can answer your question for yourself. Is there something you want that is different in terms of sound signature/tuning? Do you feel like you are missing something? Everyone is different in terms of preferences and heariny so don't feel like you have to like a certain sound or IEM. Nothing wrong with trying something new. If you are getting a case of "upgradeitis," I totally get it...sometimes you just have to scratch that itch (or itches). In my opinion, the more exciting advances are in wireless tech but it doesnt diminish the value of the SE846 for me. Over the last year and half or so, I have bought, kept and still use the Shure Aonic 50, Sony Linkbuds, Senn MTW3, B&W Px7 S2, Shure SE846 Gen2, B&W Px8, and Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro. I still use my SE846 Gen 1 with the TW2 and they are a great combo in my opinion.
Yeah they do not sound bad on the tw2 to be sure. If I had a 2nd set like you, I would do the same and have one 846 on the tw2 and the other wired. I guarantee the wireless set would get way more use. I actually put the 7hz timeless on my tw2 and use it all the time, sounds great

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #22,510 of 22,960
Yeah they do not sound bad on the tw2 to be sure. If I had a 2nd set like you, I would do the same and have one 846 on the tw2 and the other wired. I guarantee the wireless set would get way more use. I actually put the 7hz timeless on my tw2 and use it all the time, sounds great
How do your timeless sound on TW2 - vs 846s? Can you get the volume high enough?
I have to pull all the tricks - set as aonic 215, turn off volume normalization - and even then it’s max volume for me.

I’ve switched to putting 535s on mine so I don’t break my 846s switching cables back and forth. It’s ok with heavy eq in the Shure play app, but they don’t sound much better than my AirPod pro 2s.
I could get a set of timeless if you recommend them.
Also I run in mine - I wonder how the fit is vs 535/846 for running?

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #22,511 of 22,960
I'm wondering how well does the SE846 hold up in 2023. I have mine since 5 years, considering upgrading them. But...is it worth it? I use them directly out of my iPhone, with a Lightning to 3.5 convertor.
Even though they're no longer my main IEM, they have held up sound-wise very well. I agree with others - a decent DAC and amp will make them shine. My only complaint is that they are easy to damage even when just changing out the MMCX cable or when using items like the TW2 adapters. The shells on the Gen 1 don't hold up to heavy use and can crack/separate quite easily. Not sure if that will be improved with the Gen 2 having half of the shell in a metal alloy, but time will tell.

I'm now using the Sony IER-M9 as my main IEM, but still love the signature of the SE846 so they still get used. And sometimes I prefer them over the M9. I'm working on 3D printing replacement shells and once I have a model that works well, I'll be milling some complete shells from a magnesium or aluminum alloy. Alas I'm new to modelling for 3D printing/CNC, and just picked up my 1st 3D printer during the recent Black Friday sales. I'm exercising patience and know that I'll have numerous failed prints, but it's a good practical project that will help build my modelling skills.

Once I have them done and I'm happy with the results, I'll be happy to share the models with the community so you can 3D print or CNC mill your own.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #22,512 of 22,960

Probably already knows this, but If he's not getting enough power with the TW2s, then change the setting in the app from the 846 to the 215/315. Give a nice jolt of power. I actually prefer this setting on mine.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #22,513 of 22,960
Probably already knows this, but If he's not getting enough power with the TW2s, then change the setting in the app from the 846 to the 215/315. Give a nice jolt of power. I actually prefer this setting on mine.
Quite shocking to me how loud people listen to music. I never had any issue with loudness with the setting on se846, even that I use 70% at max. yes on 215/315 it gets louder but never need to??
Is nobody worried for hearing damage in the future!??

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #22,514 of 22,960
Quite shocking to me how loud people listen to music. I never had any issue with loudness with the setting on se846, even that I use 70% at max. yes on 215/315 it gets louder but never need to??
Is nobody worried for hearing damage in the future!??
Dude, I like my metal loud :L3000:. Everything in moderation! That said, no, you don't need the 846 setting, but maybe he needs the power. I usually do the 215 setting then go at 50% vol. Usually, louder if I pop my Clairvoyance on there.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #22,515 of 22,960
Decided to share this, because I love how it makes these buds sound.

Made an EQ profile that lifts the veil on my Gen 1 846s! The texture, spaciousness, and speed of the buds are preserved, while bringing out the high mids, treble, and even a little bit of air! Voices no longer sound thick and veiled, and finally have space to breathe and voice themselves. The end result sounds similar to my Audeze LCD-XC, an overall rounded musical presentation, with all elements enjoyably audible, present, and able to be felt.

While the end result curve is pretty much the Harman Target, I can't help but emphasize how much the thick veil is lifted. I actually feel like I can hear more detail in voices & instruments now, since the mids are attenuated. The fast movement of the BA drivers can actually add texture to sounds, doing what they do best!

The grey curve is the stock frequency response of my SE846, and the blue curve is the resulting frequency response with the EQ applied.

The measurements were made using REW, recorded through a MiniDSP H.E.A.R.S, listening to audio outputted through the Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP Combo, Product #24459. The Monolith is a very clinical-sounding amp, boasting no coloration or rounding of the sound. If I could describe how it sounds, it sounds and feels...flat.

Let me know what y'all think! :D

SE846 Overlay Left.jpg
SE846 EQ.png
SE846 EQ Result.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back