Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #19,546 of 22,945
Everything before speaker is part of output impedance. Cables add on top of amplifier.

There are 2 problems with high OI - underdamped speaker (basically weak driving of speaker - on demand spikes amplifier can't fulfill it fast enough) and frequency response skew. Last one due to the fact that resistance of speaker is not the same at different frequencies - aka impedance curve. SE846 resistance is 5-14Ohm at different frequencies. So if your OI is 2 Ohm you will have few times difference of power at different frequencies. That skews frequency response which is primary reason for sound coloring.
Ah, okay i didn’t know that the Data cable also add to the OI, thank you for the learning I earned :) So it becomes clear to me that what Iam hearing is a coloration but one that suits me^^

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #19,548 of 22,945
In my experience I can not find any bad sound influences from the Isilencer infact its better sounding with than without in every use. It makes a better clarity that all Music benefits from. Like better Placement of Instruments and Singers. Hearable with this sensitive Iem´s

The Volume controle resistor is assembled in the microphone cable isn´t it? So it gives also Impedance to the Cable. The silencer is used in the Data cable Chain between Transport and Source so it can´t inflict the Impedance of the Cable used after the Output. So both Methods deal at other Sides of the Problem. Please correct me if Im wrong. Becaus OI is good as it gets with 0.35 ohm I guess. So my Conclusion is that the Sound improvements made with the silencer isńt a coloration of the Sound in any way. But just to say it- I don´t have the golden Ear and Im not a Engineer so please correct me if my conclusion is wrong. And yes the Stock cable is uncomfortable. The one I use also don´t give a coloration to my Ear it´s a more open and cleaner Sound I get from it. Like without that little haze within it

Ah, okay i didn’t know that the Data cable also add to the OI, thank you for the learning I earned :) So it becomes clear to me that what Iam hearing is a coloration but one that suits me^^

Is there any better connection kit for Apple devices than the ****y Cam Connection Kit from Apple? Is there anybody with a better Solution?

hqdefault.jpg

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #19,550 of 22,945
I own and use a Mojo, and I have a second gen Dragonfly. I would not wish to be tested double blind trying to accurately identify which is which. I prefer the Mojo, no doubt there. But how big a sonic difference is there REALLY? Probably not as much as we wish. Still, I'm keeping the Mojo. (and still using the Dragonfly from time to time)

Thank you for your input. This is the stuff I like to hear, sure some people may hear a night and day difference, some may not, some may even lie and say they do....Haha! see it all the time in this hobby. Cheers!

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #19,551 of 22,945
I have the DragonFly red, and the Mojo. Of the two the Mojo is the best with SE846

With the DragonFly the hiss is too much for me, maybe I am sensitive, I also hear a little hiss with the Mojo.

I also have a Cozoy REI, for the SE846 it is the best in my opinion, dad silent and the sound is just so clean and “right” (My Mojo is for sale)

I guess the Mojo can drive bigger cans than the Cozoy Rei, but for sensitive IEMs I think the REI wins—I don’t understand why it is not more popular.

Good luck

Morten

Thanks for your input. How does the Cozoy REI sound with the 846's? I mean comparing it to the mojo and dragon red. I think the RED is ok, I use it with my iPhone and Hiby app, Lossless Hi-rez, just wondering if I'm missing out. I'm also looking at picking up a DX150 or R6 pro. It is nice to just use bring along my phone in some cases too and not have to worry about other devices (when hiking or biking)

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #19,552 of 22,945
I took a look online at the Cozoy. $550 and it gets it's power from your phone. Hmmmmmm. I suppose it could work, but my phone sounds good enough to me without help. I'll stick with the Mojo.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #19,553 of 22,945
Thanks for your input. How does the Cozoy REI sound with the 846's? I mean comparing it to the mojo and dragon red. I think the RED is ok, I use it with my iPhone and Hiby app, Lossless Hi-rez, just wondering if I'm missing out. I'm also looking at picking up a DX150 or R6 pro. It is nice to just use bring along my phone in some cases too and not have to worry about other devices (when hiking or biking)

The Mojo is for sale, to my ears the REI is better, it is cleaner, than the Mojo, the Mojo seams muffled in compression. I only use the Dragonfly at work, I have tested it with the SE846, I think it hisses to much.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #19,556 of 22,945
What are y'all's thoughts about DAP vs phone and quality DAC/Amp? I love my iPhone with my Shure 846's on the go unfortunately it doesn't do so well with my Focal Elears, not a big deal though I typically use those for home use. I also have a set of Audeze iSine 20's that i use the cipher cable they sound ok, personally I like the flatter/natural sound of the non eq'ed 3.5mm cable....

Anyways. I can't decide If I want to get a DAP or a MOJO to go with my device. I store FLAC and Hi-Rez files on my phone and use the Hiby or Onkyo App, I also subscribe to Google Play Music, I don't always stream but it's a great way to discover new artist.

I guess I'm more curious about sound, what would be better? Both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm looking at the AK SE100, DX150, maybe the R6 Pro

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #19,557 of 22,945
What are y'all's thoughts about DAP vs phone and quality DAC/Amp? I love my iPhone with my Shure 846's on the go unfortunately it doesn't do so well with my Focal Elears, not a big deal though I typically use those for home use. I also have a set of Audeze iSine 20's that i use the cipher cable they sound ok, personally I like the flatter/natural sound of the non eq'ed 3.5mm cable....

Anyways. I can't decide If I want to get a DAP or a MOJO to go with my device. I store FLAC and Hi-Rez files on my phone and use the Hiby or Onkyo App, I also subscribe to Google Play Music, I don't always stream but it's a great way to discover new artist.

I guess I'm more curious about sound, what would be better? Both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm looking at the AK SE100, DX150, maybe the R6 Pro
You should seriously consider the LG V30 - phone and a DAP all in one. Its UI is head and shoulders above that on any current dedicated DAP. Totally silent noise floor and tons of power for more hungry cans :)

I would stay far away from the R6. That has a pretty high z-out that will play havoc with your SE846.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #19,558 of 22,945
You should seriously consider the LG V30 - phone and a DAP all in one. Its UI is head and shoulders above that on any current dedicated DAP. Totally silent noise floor and tons of power for more hungry cans :)

I would stay far away from the R6. That has a pretty high z-out that will play havoc with your SE846.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm aware of the R6 10ohm impedance output. I do have iEmatch though, although that's why I mentioned the r6 pro, from what i read on the innerwebs it is supposed to have a low output impedance. My only issue with the V30 is that I've never used an Android device as my daily phone, although it would be nice to have the extra storage I do fine with 256gb. Thanks again.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #19,559 of 22,945
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm aware of the R6 10ohm impedance output. I do have iEmatch though, although that's why I mentioned the r6 pro, from what i read on the innerwebs it is supposed to have a low output impedance. My only issue with the V30 is that I've never used an Android device as my daily phone, although it would be nice to have the extra storage I do fine with 256gb. Thanks again.

+1 to LG V30/G7 especially with UAPP.I've been listening to Se846 with the v20/UAPP for the past 5 hours today and have neglected my recently purchased CA Atlas,which is incredible btw.The quad dac has a wonderful detailed,well separated sound which is on the analytical and trebly side and makes se846 very energetic.Once you install UAPP tonality feels more studio like,treble glare/harshness disappears, and highs become smoother but still very detailed.

You should seriously consider the quad Dac LGs for se846,very potent combo and all in one solution.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #19,560 of 22,945

I have both the 846 and the Elear and use the V30 as my only DAP. It has no problem driving the Elear or the 846. When my fiancee's iPhone died I gave her my Samsung S7 even though she's never used Android before and now would not go back to Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back