Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #19,576 of 22,942
That iEMatch is a very strange beast. (I have one.) It puts a resistor in parallel with your headphones, which lowers the effective z-out of anything that gets connected, but then one in series to reduce hiss/increase usable dynamic range. So it definitely DOES change the sound of low-impedance headphones. How they should probably advertise it is - once you're accustomed to the sound from the iEMatch+your_favorite_headphones, that sound won't change much as a function of z-out from various DAPs. It's clever, but not an ideal solution, IMHO.

Agreed. I haven't had much experience with it, I have
Weirdly enough, I also have the Mojo... how convenient, eh! I've not made detailed comparisons between the Mojo and V30, but since getting the V30 I can't remember the last time I used the Chord. Objectively I don't think the Mojo's technical superiority is in question, but in reality the difference is so small that the extra faffing around with yet another device in the chain simply isn't worth it.

...Ya looking to sell the Mojo? :wink:

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #19,577 of 22,942
Doing that would mean listening at line-level which would be terrible for a couple of reasons. You would have either zero control over the volume (which would be extremely loud) or you would need to use your computer to adjust volume, in which case you are shedding information and compressing the audio to do so. Another way to say that is that you would have no control whatsoever over the voltage that is going into the earphones. Likewise, you would have no control over the current that goes into them. Current that is too low will distort the sound, often very badly. Current that is too high will break them. A DAC like the Rega is not designed to output directly to 'phones. Doing so will likely sound terrible and can possibly wreck your gear.

Regarding the Magni 3... it has an output impedance of 0.3 ohm (good) and low enough noise. However, its low gain setting is at +6, which may not be low enough to make the volume pot usable with the Shures, and since the Magni is designed for headphones you may hear the hiss of the noise floor. Unfortunately, that is hard to predict without actually hearing the two together.
http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...g-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/

Lastly, it's been my experience that amps do make a big difference, especially with a good DAC and good 'phones. In most cases, the frequency response won't change, but you will hear improvements in more subtle aspects of sound like soundstage, details, macrodynamics, etc. The Shures don't need any extra power, they will benefit greatly from the better control that comes with a good amp.

Awesome thanks for all of that. I clearly understand now. That was my hunch about the DAC. I thought there’d be a chance that a headphone/iem setup might be different than a speaker setup. But that wouldn’t make sense lol.

I found the Woo wa6. It has a gain option that you can change for 8-32 ohm and 32-600. Thoughts on that amp?

Side note, through my two channel set up, I’ve learned what my sound I go after is. Having the Rega DAC and the primaluna dialogue (tube amp with triode and linear options) they work amazingly with Ushers. The usher has a berylium tweeter. Overall the speakers had a great balance of smoothness in the mids but with attack. Not harbeth smooth but I liked the give and take.

The 846s, they seem balanced or “neutral” to me. Is that the consensus? Do you think this approach of mimicking my 2 channel setup is wise? Hence why I looked at the tube headphone amps.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #19,578 of 22,942
Awesome thanks for all of that. I clearly understand now. That was my hunch about the DAC. I thought there’d be a chance that a headphone/iem setup might be different than a speaker setup. But that wouldn’t make sense lol.

I found the Woo wa6. It has a gain option that you can change for 8-32 ohm and 32-600. Thoughts on that amp?

Side note, through my two channel set up, I’ve learned what my sound I go after is. Having the Rega DAC and the primaluna dialogue (tube amp with triode and linear options) they work amazingly with Ushers. The usher has a berylium tweeter. Overall the speakers had a great balance of smoothness in the mids but with attack. Not harbeth smooth but I liked the give and take.

The 846s, they seem balanced or “neutral” to me. Is that the consensus? Do you think this approach of mimicking my 2 channel setup is wise? Hence why I looked at the tube headphone amps.

No problemo! I've haven't heard of anyone pairing a tube amp with a high-sensitivity IEM like the 846. I honestly don't know if it can be done. I know that, for example, planars work poorly with OTL tube amps because they cannot provide sufficient current to low-impedance loads. The 846 would be an extremely low impedance load, between 4 and 16 ohm, and so presents a unique challenge to most amps. Personally, I would stick to something solid state, if only because there are fewer design quirks to worry about. Someone with a tube amp may have to chime in on that one.

The 846 strives for neutral as defined by Harman-Kardon target response curve IIRC, but it has more more and less treble than the target, resulting in a warmer than neutral sound. Of course, that is only one definition of neutral. (Personally, I have stopped using the term altogether, as it is essentially meaningless without qualifying what neutral actually is. Then, of course, you are back to talking about personal preference anyway.)

Mimicking your 2 channel set-up seems like a great idea. If you know what you like, shoot for that. Speakers and earphones have different characteristics, obviously, but you should be able to find something to match the livingroom set. Just remember the biggest and most objective advantage earphones have over loudspeakers: the ease of switching one set out for another. :wink:

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #19,579 of 22,942
All those mods aside has anyone tired the easiest mod which is not using any filter at all? Don’t tell me that it’s same as the white filter because it’s not. Though there is no foam in the white filter, the filter narrows the nozzle diameter and it affects the sound. To test it put a white filter in one earpiece and left the other earpiece without any filter. You will immediately notice that sound coming from the earpiece without filter is more clear and airy. Low sounded instruments are more noticeable. It also improves the imaging a lot. I was quite surprised hearing this type of imaging from an IEM. To me, the sound is not brighter than the white filter. Removing the filter increases the nozzle diameter which allows more room to sound to travel from armature drivers to ear effortlessly and provide certain improvements. Bass is subjective in this mod. Personally I find the bass is neutral (I’m listening from a Pioneer xdp 300R which’s amp is not bass heavy).

To protect the inside of the earpiece from foreign matters I placed a tiny piece of foam (not the default filters foam) at the end of the nozzle (ear tips side).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #19,580 of 22,942
I have tried the «no filter» mod and soon rejected it: too much treble and a kind of reverberative sound. What I went with, though, is an empty filter tube (the black one can easily be sacrificed for that), combined with equalizing:

10181973.jpg

Settings on a FiiO X5 II, specifically for the Chord Mojo: ....0.....–1.4.....–1.....–1.....–1.....–2.....–3.8.....–4.8.....–1.....–0.8

I almost forgot a mandatory modication: replacing the original cable with an ALO Litz cable.

All things together lead to a sound that can virtually compete with my favorite IEMs, Atlas and Andromeda (both equalized as well, though). Of course «to my ears» applies.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #19,581 of 22,942
After a few months of owning the 846 now I can say that I've explored the idea of other high-end iems (as we never stop searching, let's be honest) and come up blank with anything in the sub £1,000 range that might be a worthy successor. There's a few that appeal, particularly RHA's latest planar iem, the CL2, and perhaps the Oriolus MK2/Reborn, but outside those there's nothing.

I wouldn't mind going above the £1k ceiling but don't feel like I should have to with what I'm looking for; when the 846 came into collection they were all I wanted, but after a couple of months of ownership there is an area that I sometimes feel like I want more, and it's by no means the 846's fault, and that is the physical bass impact you (can) get from a dynamic driver. Detail retrieval, soundstage, resolution, signature etc. are all perfect for my preferences. The bass on these is definitely not lacking, and the sub bass is especially is fantastic, but every so often I get out my RHA T20 with the bass filters installed when going for an electro/edm session because the impact from those dynamic drivers is beyond the physics of an all BA driver configuration. Bass quality can't be compared, the 846 is the obvious victor in that regard.

There's not really any point to my ramblings, but I'm away at a hotel with my fiancee for her friend's wedding (tomorrow) and she's gone to help out with preparations so I decided to entertain myself by stockpiling drinks from the bar to bring to the room while I listen to the Shures and share my boredom with you
a_tongue.gif

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #19,582 of 22,942
After a few months of owning the 846 now I can say that I've explored the idea of other high-end iems (as we never stop searching, let's be honest) and come up blank with anything in the sub £1,000 range that might be a worthy successor. There's a few that appeal, particularly RHA's latest planar iem, the CL2, and perhaps the Oriolus MK2/Reborn, but outside those there's nothing.

I wouldn't mind going above the £1k ceiling but don't feel like I should have to with what I'm looking for; when the 846 came into collection they were all I wanted, but after a couple of months of ownership there is an area that I sometimes feel like I want more, and it's by no means the 846's fault, and that is the physical bass impact you (can) get from a dynamic driver. Detail retrieval, soundstage, resolution, signature etc. are all perfect for my preferences. The bass on these is definitely not lacking, and the sub bass is especially is fantastic, but every so often I get out my RHA T20 with the bass filters installed when going for an electro/edm session because the impact from those dynamic drivers is beyond the physics of an all BA driver configuration. Bass quality can't be compared, the 846 is the obvious victor in that regard.

There's not really any point to my ramblings, but I'm away at a hotel with my fiancee for her friend's wedding (tomorrow) and she's gone to help out with preparations so I decided to entertain myself by stockpiling drinks from the bar to bring to the room while I listen to the Shures and share my boredom with you
a_tongue.gif

Why not photograph yourself slowly getting naked and post them?

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #19,583 of 22,942
The Shure KSE 1200's are now available from Music Direct for $1500. Complete your training young Skywalker and be what you were destined to be!
(I love my 846's a great deal but the KSE 1200/1500 just completely takes the prize)

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #19,584 of 22,942
What I love in SE846 is the slight subwoofer like rumble I get in my chest. I don't get that with Andromeda or CL2. I want an IEM that can give me that feeling but stronger. I am still looking.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #19,585 of 22,942

a_tongue.gif
I have been listening to my 846s for almost two years, and still love them. Overall, they have the most pleasing sound to me, for most types of music, of all the models I have tried. However, I understand exactly what you are saying about the bass impact. When I am in the mood for a more powerful bass, especially in different styles of music, I use my Aurisonics 2.2/2.5 or Rose Cappuccino MKII. Their dynamic drivers simply deliver something the 846 can't. My ideal IEM would be the 846 with the bass of the Aurisonics 2.5. Not sure what that IEM is, though.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #19,586 of 22,942
Why not photograph yourself slowly getting naked and post them?

LOL! I wasn't that drunk...

The Shure KSE 1200's are now available from Music Direct for $1500. Complete your training young Skywalker and be what you were destined to be!
(I love my 846's a great deal but the KSE 1200/1500 just completely takes the prize)

No doubt the electrostat takes the prize in detail, speed, realism, soundstage, and everything on a technical level, but they're not known for having the physicality of bass impact which is the only thing I'd want to 'upgrade' on.

What I love in SE846 is the slight subwoofer like rumble I get in my chest. I don't get that with Andromeda or CL2. I want an IEM that can give me that feeling but stronger. I am still looking.

Interesting that the CL2 don't give you that. Heard remarkable things about their quality in the impressions thread. If that's the case, maybe the Oriolus V2 is the only contender left in this price bracket to bring the hard hitting bass. Other than Japan, I don't think it's possible to audition one. Well, I've not found a UK retailer anyway.

I have been listening to my 846s for almost two years, and still love them. Overall, they have the most pleasing sound to me, for most types of music, of all the models I have tried. However, I understand exactly what you are saying about the bass impact. When I am in the mood for a more powerful bass, especially in different styles of music, I use my Aurisonics 2.2/2.5 or Rose Cappuccino MKII. Their dynamic drivers simply deliver something the 846 can't. My ideal IEM would be the 846 with the bass of the Aurisonics 2.5. Not sure what that IEM is, though.

Used to own the 2.5 for a while a couple of years ago. Definitely miss it on occasion now. If only Shure would do a hybrid TOTL...!

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #19,587 of 22,942
Now, that there's no more 3.5 mm audio jack on iPhones, as well as for my Apple Watch, I am looking for a good audio quality Bluetooth portable receiver for my reliable SE846.

I tried this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078VSM8M4/ and, while it sounds relatively good, it has a strong hissing noise during musical breaks or when the music is on pause (low s/n ratio), which bothers me.

Would there be a similar device that you'd recommend, which would be more on par with the quality of the SE846? I know that Bluetooth has limitations; however, I am trying to find an acceptable compromise: quality vs. convenience.

Thanks!

P.S. How would this be: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/rmce-bt1 ?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #19,588 of 22,942
Now, that there's no more 3.5 mm audio jack on iPhones, as well as for my Apple Watch, I am looking for a good audio quality Bluetooth portable receiver for my reliable SE846.

I tried this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078VSM8M4/ and, while it sounds relatively good, it has a strong hissing noise during musical breaks or when the music is on pause (low s/n ratio), which bothers me.

Would there be a similar device that you'd recommend, which would be more on par with the quality of the SE846? I know that Bluetooth has limitations; however, I am trying to find an acceptable compromise: quality vs. convenience.

Thanks!

P.S. How would this be: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/rmce-bt1 ?
Check out the Shanling M0. Its LDAC BT codec is the closest I've yet heard to a wired connection.

Unfortunately, if you're going to use an Apple watch or an iPhone, you've been double-screwed by Apple, because not only don't you have a wired connection, but those devices also don't support the higher--bandwidth BT codecs like aptX(HD) or LDAC (and likely never will, as Apple likes royalty fees flowing only to Apple - never the other way), so whichever receiver you buy you'll have to make do with AAC.

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #19,589 of 22,942

Thanks!

Personally I use the original Shure BT cable you linked to in your P.S. and like it. It works reliably with an iPhone, sounds fine, has decent battery life and can be purchased either with a new SE846 or as a package with the SE215, which costs only slightly more than the cable itself.

Another option would be an Earstudio ES100, which offers a very potent amp (given its size), good DAC, good codec support (AAC, aptX, LDAC), EQ, balanced out etc. but doesn't disappear while in use as does the Shure BT cable. I did not test the ES100 with the SE846 though.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #19,590 of 22,942

Thanks!

I’ve been switching between the Radsone ES100 and the FiiO BTR3 and they both work very well with the SE846. The ES100 has more bells and whistles but the BTR3 is better built. I mostly reach for the BTR3 nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back