Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #18,917 of 22,945
Thanks for your advice, folks! I just contacted Shure's German customer service, and the representative was very helpful and friendly. I'll send my beloved SE846 in and have the nozzle interface seal replaced.
Awesome, glad it all worked out for you! :ok_hand:

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #18,918 of 22,945
Another vote for Westone Star Tips. Using the foam type (the standard pack comes with both silicon and foam type) which is more comfortable than Shure Olives and stay longer in ears without itch or discomfort. It is also more durable than Comply tips, but if you would like to try out Comply, look for the P-series.

If the star tips are anything like the yellows then I'll definitely give them a shot. I was going to do the spinfits as well but their online store is down and Amazon only has individual single sizes so I'll wait.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #18,919 of 22,945
Yeah, I actually tried the yellows tonight, and wow what a difference. I finally got some of that bass that people praise. Especially this one track by t.a.t.u. (yeah I still listen to them) that he bass was hitting so hard my vision was vibrating, I loved it. Only thing about once an hour I had to pop them out because my ears were hurting. Still going to give the spinfits a shot, they're cheap enough.
I have the yellows another try tonight after reading this and I’m getting more bass then the spin fits- which is good for aphex twin enjoyment !

Though they didn’t stay in place long and the bass went - so back to spin fits !

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #18,920 of 22,945
I’m considering custom sleeves to get a better sq.

Is it worth paying more for sensaphonics sleeves? Or are a set that are made local and cheaper just as good?

I talk to someone who sold these sleeves and he said they’re incredibly straightforward, from ear impression to mold. So paying more than the minimum for this kind of product would be a mistake.

I’m just looking for some advice... one uses 3D printing, the other makes by hand too...

Are the sensaphonics sleeves worth paying a premium for - my only criteria is sq - not how cool they look or anything.

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #18,921 of 22,945

Is it worth paying more for sensaphonics sleeves? Or are a set that are made local and cheaper just as good?

I talk to someone who sold these sleeves and he said they’re incredibly straightforward, from ear impression to mold. So paying more than the minimum for this kind of product would be a mistake.

I’m just looking for some advice... one uses 3D printing, the other makes by hand too...

Are the sensaphonics sleeves worth paying a premium for - my only criteria is sq - not how cool they look or anything.

My advice would be to buy Sensaphonics' custom sleeves for the reason of comfort. (You can basically wear them indefinitely, because they put no pressure on your ear canals.)
SQ is a bit of a gamble, because they change the sound a lot - and you may or may not like the change. Here's a rough idea, based on the changes from my own Sensaphonics sleeves:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #18,922 of 22,945
My advice would be to buy Sensaphonics' custom sleeves for the reason of comfort. (You can basically wear them indefinitely, because they put no pressure on your ear canals.)
SQ is a bit of a gamble, because they change the sound a lot - and you may or may not like the change. Here's a rough idea, based on the changes from my own Sensaphonics sleeves:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865
Thank you - I’ll take a look.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #18,923 of 22,945

Also, (I know you’ve read it, @csglinux ), take a look at the SCS review here:

Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/rev...m-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #18,924 of 22,945
Thanks for your advice, folks! I just contacted Shure's German customer service, and the representative was very helpful and friendly. I'll send my beloved SE846 in and have the nozzle interface seal replaced.

Will Shure still fix them if they're bought from a supplier who's not official? My SE846 has the same problem.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #18,925 of 22,945
D74F335B-2B43-4F71-B619-FBE1ABC1632F.jpeg I find the xdp 300r to be a good match to 846s. Sabre chip brings energy to the upper frequency.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #18,926 of 22,945
Will Shure still fix them if they're bought from a supplier who's not official? My SE846 has the same problem.

I think they will as long as you provide the original proof of purchase. The customer rep didn‘t even ask where I bought my pair, but he made sure I‘d send the receipt.

If I were you I‘d just contact them. Granted I talked to their German CS, but I assume their service is stellar no matter where you are!

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #18,927 of 22,945
I think they will as long as you provide the original proof of purchase. The customer rep didn‘t even ask where I bought my pair, but he made sure I‘d send the receipt.

If I were you I‘d just contact them. Granted I talked to their German CS, but I assume their service is stellar no matter where you are!

I'm in Australia, couldn't find any CS here so I'll probably have to ship them to the US. Wondering how much they'll charge me for the seal replacement too. I'm guessing not cheap.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #18,928 of 22,945
This may be the placebo talking, but I'm suspecting that the store's demo unit sounds better than my own hardcopy. I'm not being so much 'moved' with mine. Wonder how tight the tolerance is between each individual unit.

Oh well, gotta get back to the store when I'm free. Stupid nagging voice at the back of my head's starting to annoy me.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #18,930 of 22,945
Did you compare it with the same filter (and whether the store's demo had modded the filter)?

My old bronze set of the SE846 (sold) had filters with 1 foam while my new clear SE846 latest production batch has 2 foams in each filter - not sure if that has impact to the sound as well.

This may be the placebo talking, but I'm suspecting that the store's demo unit sounds better than my own hardcopy. I'm not being so much 'moved' with mine. Wonder how tight the tolerance is between each individual unit.

Oh well, gotta get back to the store when I'm free. Stupid nagging voice at the back of my head's starting to annoy me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back