Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #18,872 of 22,945
I'm getting incredibly impatient on the rei. Damn overseas shipping. Now I'm looking at the fiio q5 for now. Same price as the cayin and I can get it prime. Thoughts?
I would continue to be patient. You’ll be fine.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #18,874 of 22,945
you don't know me very well. I guess I'm continue to lay on the floor in a fetal position
You do not know me very well. Trust me, you will be fine.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #18,876 of 22,945
Okay, last question before I make you guys completely hate me. What about a used ak120ii for 550 or Sony zx2 uncapped (whatever that means) for 475. I couldn't find many reviews on the ak120ii for whatever reason.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #18,877 of 22,945
Okay, last question before I make you guys completely hate me. What about a used ak120ii for 550 or Sony zx2 uncapped (whatever that means) for 475. I couldn't find many reviews on the ak120ii for whatever reason.
3088E039-0B1D-416E-A14F-27D9DCD9A997.gif

5DC8AF50-6996-41A8-A895-3D121BF3D4B6.gif

BAFA2870-8E82-4E3B-9F85-7FD80E45AD06.gif

677BEA5A-A058-42A4-A724-6F230C444C5E.gif

9859B1C3-E94E-4CD7-9017-A33A10FCBC3E.gif

AEA26767-3538-40FD-BFEA-C61FB6CDC2C7.gif

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #18,879 of 22,945
Now who was it who mentioned they’re a fan of the Fabric series? (You’ll notice the inspiration in my avatar). I’m sure it was in this thread. Trying to find it and not having any luck as this thread has been quite active lately.

On the topic of driving my 846s I was quite happy with the results ex-iPhone and iPad. A boost was needed but I couldn’t find an amp that had the right X factor. Amps unfortunately do change overall sound sigs and it has to be said I found the 846s to be very source pernickety.

The right boost I got from a Ted Allen HeadphoneLounge copper litz cable.

Indeed for recordings like Dave Clarke @ ADE (as recorded by the BBC’s Essential Mix) the SE846 is what you want. The bass slam and impact will have you banging your head with glee from go to whoah. And if I may offer a comparison between them and the K10s there is less bass slam / impact on the latter up front but bass does go deep and super textured. And more can be heard of what Clarke is doing “in the mix” as well. But that feeling of being there is lost...

(By the way it’s good to mention these things not only for the present conversation but a techno fan in future may Google search for discussions such as this one. To them I’d say if you listen to techno almost exclusively the SE846 is what you want).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #18,880 of 22,945
Now who was it who mentioned they’re a fan of the Fabric series? (You’ll notice the inspiration in my avatar). I’m sure it was in this thread. Trying to find it and not having any luck as this thread has been quite active lately.

On the topic of driving my 846s I was quite happy with the results ex-iPhone and iPad. A boost was needed but I couldn’t find an app that had the right X factor. Amps unfortunately do change overall sound sigs and it has to be said I found the 846s to be very source pernickety.

The right boost I got from a Ted Allen HeadphoneLounge copper litz cable.

Indeed for recordings like Dave Clarke @ ADE (as recorded by the BBC’s Essential Mix) the SE846 is what you want. The bass slam and impact will have you banging your head with glee from go to whoah. And if I may offer a comparison between them and the K10s there is less bass slam / impact on the latter up front but bass does go deep and super textured. And more can be heard of what Clarke is doing “in the mix” as well. But that feeling of being there is lost...

(By the way it’s good to mention these things not only for the present conversation but a techno fan in future may Google search for discussions such as this one. To them I’d say if you listen to techno almost exclusively the SE846 is what you want).
What tips are you using ?

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #18,882 of 22,945
So, anyone got recomendations for "dirty" and "clean" songs or albums for me to check out? I'd like to check on these 8's versatility.

Is RHCP's BSSM considered raw? I love the way they sound on these. RATM self-titled as well. Unadulterated, pure. Like they're in my tiny room.

I'm considering testing cables as well to embiggen my room. :L3000:

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #18,883 of 22,945
So, anyone got recomendations for "dirty" and "clean" songs or albums for me to check out? I'd like to check on these 8's versatility.

Is RHCP's BSSM considered raw? I love the way they sound on these. RATM self-titled as well. Unadulterated, pure. Like they're in my tiny room.

I'm considering testing cables as well to embiggen my room. :L3000:
Dirty: Friday by Rebecca Black

Clean: How Far I’ll Go by Auli’i Cravalho and/or Alessia Cara

Red Hot Chili PeppersBlood Sugar Sex Magik album and Rage Against The Machine may possibly be interpreted as “polarizing”, but it comes down to your inherent individual preferences with regards to both.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #18,885 of 22,945
UMs are much better.

It depends what you're looking for. How many IEMs do you know of that have:

1) Amazing quantity and quality of sub-bass that doesn't bleed into the mids.
2) No vents => therefore great isolation.
3) Relatively small, ergonomically-shaped buds that will comfortably fit in most people's ears.
4) Long, thin nozzles, giving better comfort, isolation and a wide choice of third party eartips.
5) Availability of custom shells to turn your UIEMs into a CIEM.
6) Huge range of filter options to tune the FR.
7) Easily replaceable cables with standard MMCX connectors.

I still only know of one of IEM that ticks all these boxes.

IEMs were originally designed to be sound-isolating for use as stage monitors. Item 4) is a particular issue for me in that regard. It's easy to improve the treble extension by widening the nozzle, but that comes at a price of all sorts of fit and isolation issues, which (for me) defeats the whole purpose of an in-ear monitor. To each his own. Better = better for you. Not for me. Subjective != objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back