1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread

1. joshnor713
    It's not just hissing that's the problem with impedance mismatch, but sound quality can be affected too. Not saying this will be the case with the REI, but I think it's better to be on the safe side.

2. Varekai
    I don't know if I would notice a difference, I guess worse case scenario if they still sound like crap I'll either sell the rei and get a q5 or sell the shures and get ie800s

3. joshnor713
    It definitely won't sound like crap. You'll most likely hear most of what the headphones can do.

Not everyone cares to get every ounce out of a pair of headphones - I'm not one of those people, lol. I paid $1K for these headphones, I refuse to miss a note :)

Varekai likes this.
  4. Varekai
    Lol yeah I got ya, I didn't get any discount on the headphones myself and wanted to order from somewhere trustworthy like Amazon. Like I said in my heavy review reading somewhere I saw they tested the rei with the 846s and said they paired very well so that kind of sealed the deal for me on the rei.

5. moedawg140 Contributor
    I spoke with Charles from COZOY tonight, and he says the REI features very low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs such as the SE846 shouldn’t have issues with regards to playability and hiss. Also, he says that output impedance plays a small role. I’ll agree with Charles — it’s all about how the final chain sounds, how the synergy is with the pairing. If it sounds good to you, then it’s pretty much all good and impedance issues should largely be disregarded, in my opinion.

tbritton and Varekai like this.
  6. Varekai
    Awesome, thanks for the info! As long as it sounds better than just playing straight from my S8 I'll be happy. Having never had a setup like this before I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

7. moedawg140 Contributor
    It should sound better to a lot better! :thumbsup::slight_smile:

8. kino lau
    I'm jumping back into this thread (never unsubbed) after hearing my Knowles modded (brown) 846's with the new DAC/AMP. Yesterday I heard SQ out of these that I would never have thought possible. I'm glad I didn't sell em...

:slight_smile:

tbritton, csglinux and moedawg140 like this.
  9. moedawg140 Contributor
    3BD6553B-BE3A-432B-A747-EBCA1A9BFE58.gif

csglinux likes this.
  10. Varekai
    What do you yall think of this player? Cheap, may pick it up,, specs seem decent and the impedance range matches, just for if the rei doesn't work out or I don't feel like using my phone. Good battery life and has wireless

$349

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cayin-i5-android-digital-audio-player

Specs
    • Cayin
    • Material: Aluminum alloy
    • Conversion chip: AKM AK4490
    • Low-noise electronic volume potentiometer: PGA2311
    • Operational amplifiers: 2 x LME49720
    • Headphone amplifiers: 2 x BUF634
    • USB mode: Asynchronized USB 2.0 class
    • Supports: Up to 32 bit/384 kHz PCM and DSD 64/128
    • File types: DSF, DFF, ISO, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, APE, WMA, WMA lossless, MP2/MP3, AAC, OGG
    • Filters and EQ: 5 digital filters, 10-band EQ with multiple presets and support for custom EQ
    • Power rating: 190 mW + 190 mW (at 32 ohm)
    • Frequency response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 0.2 dB, Fs = 192 kHz); 5 Hz – 50 kHz (+/- 1 dB, Fs = 192 kHz)
    • THD+N: 0.006% (1 kHz, Fs = 44.1 kHz; 20 Hz – 20 kHz, A-weighted)
    • Dynamic range: 108 dB (20 Hz – 20 kHz, A-weighted)
    • Signal-to-noise ratio: 108 dB (20 Hz – 20 kHz, A-weighted)
    • Noise floor: 0.005 mV for line output, 0.01 mV for headphone output
    • Output level: 1.2 V (at 10 kohm)
    • Recommended headphone impedance: 8 – 300 ohm
    • Internal memory: 32G
    • External memory: Max 200G with TF card extension
    • Capacity: 4800 mAh, 3.8 V lithium-ion polymer
    • Battery life: Approx. 11 hours offline, 10 hrs online
    • Charging current: ≦1500 mA with 2A charger (not included) or computer USB port
    • Supports 2-channel DST-encoded SACD-ISO and DSD
    • Supports Windows (drivers required) and Mac OS X
    • Dimensions: 5 x 2.5 x 0.6 in (12.6 x 6.4 x 1.4 cm)
    • Weight: 6.9 oz (195 g)

11. moedawg140 Contributor
    If I had to choose a player as a backup to the REI, I’d go for the Supermini, or an Android device of your choice.

The i5 unfortunately isn’t my choice, mostly because of the slower operational speed, and because it doesn’t sound very resolute and detailed to my ears based on first-hand experience.

Varekai likes this.
  12. joshnor713
    I agree with this. Had the i5 for a few days, not the best choice with the SE846. Apart from the software pains (which may have been addressed by now - I auditioned it when it launched), I wasn't a fan of the sound either. It had good energy but the detail wasn't there, not for a HiFi device. And it's pretty loud with the SE846 - definitely not tuned for sensitive headphones.

moedawg140 and Varekai like this.
  13. Varekai
    Okay thanks, only looked at it because it popped up on my massdrop alerts for okay price.

14. FactoryStock
    Hmm...guys, it appears that I've got a two-for-one situation here. Looks like there are two gray foams instead of one in the blues, aaand there's also those white one at the other end. How many of them grey foams did you guys remove?? :disappointed_relieved::fearful:
    20180311_165439.jpg
    20180311_171932.jpg
    20180311_172828.jpg

Varekai likes this.
  15. Varekai
    Actually I had the same thing I thought it was normal, reason being on one review I read something about removing the first foam filter on the blue filters to make it just a tad brighter so it's a little closer to the white filters, so I had went ahead and done it.