Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #18,661 of 22,945
It really depends on what type of files you use.

If it is MP3, even the 530 is a huge improvement over the stock iem. I would not waste my money on anything more expensive.

If you use lossless files or WAVE files, the 535 will do very nicely. The 846 may sound a little better better, but in my opinion, you will not hear the full potential of this iem unless you get a better DP with better DAC.

With many older versions of the Astell & Kern on clearance sale soon, you can grab one around $500. The combination A&K and Shure 535 will sound better than the iPod Touch and Shure 846, you also get the advantage of playing HiRes files, which will,sound even better.

In short, if you want to keep the IPod Touch, the 846 is probably an overkill. I’d save the money and get the 535 at half the cost instead.

What about if you were using an iPhone 6 instead of the iPod touch. would the 846 with iPhone 6 sound better with lossless files vs. the 353 with an A&K (and same lossless files)?

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #18,662 of 22,945
It really depends on what type of files you use.

If it is MP3, even the 530 is a huge improvement over the stock iem. I would not waste my money on anything more expensive.

If you use lossless files or WAVE files, the 535 will do very nicely. The 846 may sound a little better better, but in my opinion, you will not hear the full potential of this iem unless you get a better DP with better DAC.

With many older versions of the Astell & Kern on clearance sale soon, you can grab one around $500. The combination A&K and Shure 535 will sound better than the iPod Touch and Shure 846, you also get the advantage of playing HiRes files, which will,sound even better.

In short, if you want to keep the IPod Touch, the 846 is probably an overkill. I’d save the money and get the 535 at half the cost instead.

I'm afraid I disagree with pretty much all of this. You're saying that with mp3s, one should choose the 535, but for lossless files, one should (also?) choose the 535?? (Edit. Sorry - my mistake. I saw you said 530 -> 535.) So the 846 are only worth buying with a better DAP and/or for hi-res audio files, which will then sound appreciably better(?) That's a pretty controversial statement. Here's a summary on the benefits of hi-res audio from the folks that invented FLAC:

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And this is a well-written post from one of our own headfi members:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/

Despite the improvement we may convince ourselves we're hearing, the best scientific meta-analysis shows even well-trained ears with the best equipment are able to discern the difference between regular CD (44/16) and hi-res about 52% of the time. In other words, about the same success rate you'd get flipping a coin.

It's not for us to determine whether somebody else's purchase is a waste of money. The 846 is a superior headphone. Its strengths are in the low end - a decent sub-bass response which is missing with the 535 or 530. That would be true with mp3s or lossless files. (Also, there's mp3 and there's mp3... Higher bit-rate mp3 with a good modern codec can be very difficult to discern from lossless.) I agree a good DAP will sound better than an iPod, but the bulk of any sound quality improvement will come from a headphone upgrade.

What about if you were using an iPhone 6 instead of the iPod touch. would the 846 with iPhone 6 sound better with lossless files vs. the 353 with an A&K (and same lossless files)?

Which model iPod touch? The iPhone 6 has ~ 5 Ohm output impedance. Some of the older iPod models had a lower z-out, which might be preferable for use with the SE846. Most modern DAPs are going to sound better than an iPhone or iPod touch, but the differences aren't anywhere near as significant as the jump from Apple earpods to the SE846, or even from the 535 to the 846.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #18,663 of 22,945

I can only rely on my own experience.

I had the old iPod Touch. Using the stock Apple ear plugs with MP3 files worked pretty well. When I switched to the Shure 530, there was a noticeable difference, especially when I used lossless and WAVE files. The superior sound of the 530:xf_eek:ver the stock ear plugs was clearly evident. Later, I bought the 535 and there was again a noticeable improvement to the sound, though not a huge one.

When I bought my first A&K, the AK100 (modified by Red Wine Audio):and used it with the 535 (WAVE and HiRes files) I finally heard the really high quality of 535 sound. Switchiching to the 846 was, however, an ear-opening experience. The difference became even bigger between the 535 and the 846 when I upgraded my DAP to the AK380, and recently the SP1000–though this last A&K model is way too big and too heavy to be portable. I now exclusively use the A&K 380:with the 846 as my portable music system.

In short, you should hear the difference between the 530, 535 and 846 with you iPod Touch, but the significantly greater sound of the 846 will become much more apparent with better DAP/DAC and higher quality music files. I think the 530 or 535 are a good match for the iPod Touch.

Currently, I cannot do the A/B comparison: I gave away my IPod Touch, my A&K 100 and 120 and the Shure 530 last year. But from memory, the combination A&K 100 or A&K120 and 535 sounds better than the combination iPod Touch and 846. So if i had about a grand to spend, I would get a good DAP and match it with a pair of Shure 535 rather than getting the 846 for the iPod Touch.

I never kept any music files on my iPhone so I can’t tell you how the 846 would sound with it.

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #18,664 of 22,945
Ive never used a DAC or DP outside my mobile phone or the ipod. What is a good recommended one I can use? Can I get loseless files on the web for music to convert for this media player? Can I use any mp3 file that can improve the quality even? I was googling some DAC and stumbled upon this
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/digital/products/fiio-q5-portable-dac-headphone-amplifier

Ive demoed the 535 and I did like it but at the time thought I wouldnt spend that much but I regret it now and I settled for the 215s for less I shoudlve stuck with the 535s and paid the bit extra. Now Im scared to make that mistake and just go maximum and go for the 846 and maybe pay that bit extra for a player also and use it for decades and decades i take good care of my equipment have hard carry cases to protect it etc. Im very very new to this but enjoying the better sound quality on products Im slowly moving up and up on my budget each year but enver stumbled upon the DP or DACs or how they work and none of my friends have any outside the ipods and mobiles like me

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #18,665 of 22,945
Tried it when I bought my SE846 (came free as sales promotion).

Didn't like it as it gets loose after just a few times of plugging/unplugging, and connector area does not feel that it will last long.

Can't comment on Mojo though, as didn't really use the Mojo for long before selling off.

I won't expect the small DAC inside the RMCE-LTG to have huge improvements over the apple lightning to stereo adapter, so probably will not get close the Mojo.

Hmm, that’s a shame, I was keen on getting the Mojo out of the chain, I find it inconvenient to charge it, does anybody have experience with the Cozoy Rei and the SE846?

Br Morten

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #18,666 of 22,945
but at the time thought I wouldnt spend that much but I regret it now and I settled for the 215s for less I shoudlve stuck with the 535s and paid the bit extra. Now Im scared to make that mistake and just go maximum and go for the 846

There's a pattern here. :wink: One good thing about the Shure is that they have been around and reviewed extensively, so getting an idea of what it will be like is not difficult. Eveyone says how much of an improvement the SE535 is over the 215, and you discovered this yourself. Then everyone says how much of improvement the SE846 is. I suppose you can sell them. People like to buy these used.

Shures are easy. Mainly because there are so many reviews not confined to just places like Head-fi, which although are the most useful, are not difinitive.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #18,667 of 22,945
Hmm, that’s a shame, I was keen on getting the Mojo out of the chain, I find it inconvenient to charge it, does anybody have experience with the Cozoy Rei and the SE846?

Br Morten
The REI and SE846 connected to the iPhone 6 is a glorious combination, but I’m currently not able to get it to function with my iPhone X. Searching for a possible firmware update was not successful as of this post. I spoke with Mr. Wong from COZOY regarding this issue, and he said the solution is to use a new cable. We shall see.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #18,668 of 22,945
The REI and SE846 connected to the iPhone 6 is a glorious combination, but I’m currently not able to get it to function with my iPhone X. Searching for a possible firmware update was not successful as of this post. I spoke with Mr. Wong from COZOY regarding this issue, and he said the solution is to use a new cable. We shall see.

I will use it with my Iphone 6 and Ipad mini 4, so should be ok, but not future prof I guess. Have you by any chance compared it to the Mojo?

Br Morten

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #18,669 of 22,945
I will use it with my Iphone 6 and Ipad mini 4, so should be ok, but not future prof I guess. Have you by any chance compared it to the Mojo?

Br Morten
Not directly back to back, but I’ve listened to the Mojo enough to have a lasting impression of it. I believe the REI to my ears sounds more musical and is more resolving to my ears than the Mojo.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #18,670 of 22,945
Ive never used a DAC or DP outside my mobile phone or the ipod. What is a good recommended one I can use? Can I get loseless files on the web for music to convert for this media player? Can I use any mp3 file that can improve the quality even? I was googling some DAC and stumbled upon this
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/digital/products/fiio-q5-portable-dac-headphone-amplifier

Ive demoed the 535 and I did like it but at the time thought I wouldnt spend that much but I regret it now and I settled for the 215s for less I shoudlve stuck with the 535s and paid the bit extra. Now Im scared to make that mistake and just go maximum and go for the 846

I understand where you're coming from.

The 530 was the flagship IEM from Shure a while back--some do not even remember it ever existed. Shure replaced it with the 535 and then the 846 as flagship models.

The 535 was an improvement over the 530. The 846 is a big improvement over the 535 but of course at nearly twice the price.

When the 535 came out, I was able to buy two new 530s at about $250 each and gave them to family/friend for Christmas. They are very happy using them with their iPod/iPhone. Good matches. Now that the 846 is the new flagship, you can buy the 535 at a very reasonable price, far less than the $599 original price. It is not the 846 but with the money you save, you can get a very good DP that can really make the 535 shine.

As for getting less than the best, I think there will always be something better to come around that will supplant the current flagship, more than likely at a higher price. It will never stop. We all familiar with the amazingly improvement in quality of the HiFiMan flagship HPs going from the HE-6 to the HE-1000 and then the Susvara (SP?). Unfortunately the price also increases from $1,500 to $3,000 and then $6,000 for the current flagship.

Similarly, you can get a new IE-800 last year for about 60% of the cost of the IE-800S. Likewise, the former flag ship for Sennheiser, the HD-800 can now be bought new at a far lower price than the HD-800S. A little DIY Anax modification can make the HD-800 sound very close to the HD-800S. Still have your heart set on the HD-800S? Not to worry, the HD-820 is coming out soon. Sometime this year you can get the HD-800S new for a lot less money.

Today's best is always destined to become tomorrow's second best. Fortunately, the new and better model does not make the old model sound any worse.

One can also

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #18,672 of 22,945

Ive demoed the 535 and I did like it but at the time thought I wouldnt spend that much but I regret it now and I settled for the 215s for less I shoudlve stuck with the 535s and paid the bit extra. Now Im scared to make that mistake and just go maximum and go for the 846 and maybe pay that bit extra for a player also and use it for decades and decades i take good care of my equipment have hard carry cases to protect it etc. Im very very new to this but enjoying the better sound quality on products Im slowly moving up and up on my budget each year but enver stumbled upon the DP or DACs or how they work and none of my friends have any outside the ipods and mobiles like me
If you're on a budget, you might also consider the FLC8S. It has at least 36 separate tuning configurations, which can be set to give similar bass and sub-bass to that of the SE846, but with better treble extension. (It just lacks a bit of isolation w.r.t. the 846.) It's a bargain for ~300 USD.

@moedawg140 were you able to get your REI to connect to your iPhone X with the Apple camera connection kit?

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #18,673 of 22,945
If you're on a budget, you might also consider the FLC8S. It has at least 36 separate tuning configurations, which can be set to give similar bass and sub-bass to that of the SE846, but with better treble extension. (It just lacks a bit of isolation w.r.t. the 846.) It's a bargain for ~300 USD.

@moedawg140 were you able to get your REI to connect to your iPhone X with the Apple camera connection kit?
I couldn’t find my CCK, so I re-purchased a new one (I’ll probably give my first one away if I find it in the future), and an AmazonBasics Micro USB to Lightning adapter to have an extra option to get the REI to function, and as a way to charge (and possibly sync) my iPhone X or any Lightning product via any USB cable. :dancers:

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #18,674 of 22,945
Hey guys, I bought the SE846 a few days ago after being a happy owner of the SE535 for many years! I have been running them in over the weekend and they sound great already, connected to a FiiO X7ii.

Can anyone recommend a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable that's preferably a silver/clear colour to match the clear SE846? Or maybe a copper/bronze. I would be looking at hopefully spending no more than £100-£150 and it would need to be available either in the UK or for delivery to the UK.

Using google seems to give me loads of U.S. links for cables costing nearly as much as the IEMs themselves! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #18,675 of 22,945
Hey guys, I bought the SE846 a few days ago after being a happy owner of the SE535 for many years! I have been running them in over the weekend and they sound great already, connected to a FiiO X7ii.

Can anyone recommend a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable that's preferably a silver/clear colour to match the clear SE846? Or maybe a bronze. I would be looking at hopefully spending no more than £100-£150 and it would need to be available either in the UK or for delivery to the UK.

Using google seems to give me loads of U.S. links for cables costing nearly as much as the IEMs themselves! Thanks in advance.
These would be my choices for you (you can choose a black one or the Candy Cane model that looks snazzy), here:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/standard-balanced-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/prod...-balaned-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back