Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #18,361 of 22,944
The answer about USB-C is not yet, maybe in the future, but it's complicated.

Anybody that's excited about Apple (and now Google) removing the headphone jack should read the following:

http://flip.it/GUQuV

It's a lengthy article, but it explains quite articulately why these companies want to remove the headphone jack and why this move is intentionally screwing the consumer.

My recommendation would be not to buy a phone without a headphone jack. I recently picked up an LG V30. It's awesome! Its sound output is so good, most people wouldn't need to carry a separate DAP :)
I feel like I'm forced to not purchase any new snazzy phone. I was thinking about the iPhone X, but the lack of a headphone jack and its "interesting" screen put me off from purchasing. Maybe next version I'll consider purchasing.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #18,362 of 22,944
I'd say you think more highly of your luck than of the thing you bought. It's the overall contentment of the purchase. Three days ago I was smug about paying EUR 800 for the SE846 instead of EUR 1,000.

Here.

To find one in a thousand it is hard
Who reckons sound as its own reward.
Even 846 fails unless it's dearly bought,
For people grudge to be audiophile for naught.
:)

800 is still too much for a crappy Shure IEM. They give the most terrible support of any company I encountered yet making fake promises that they will not deliver. If a company is that difficult about replacing their cheap ass $0.05 cables, than I don’t what to say. Even Sennheiser had no issue replacing their $200 HD 800 cable when it broke down. That is why I stick to Apple and Sennheiser in general, they take good care of their customers.

Imo, you should have went with the Andromeda if you went shopping for a 1000 EUR IEM. Even at 800 EUR, the Andromeda is a better value given their build quality, sound and you get a high quality cable that is around $150 atleast. You even get free spinfit tips with the Andromeda which are aftermarket eartips.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #18,363 of 22,944
You should have went with the Andromeda

Looks sublime. I like the edgy industrial design: those screws, matt aluminium, and green colour give the earphones non-consumer appeal. Too expensive for me though. Here in Europe Andromeda sells for EUR 1,300, which is 40% dearer than SE846.

By the way, if anyone is interested, after returning the SE846s (EUR 800) I went with SE535 (EUR 300). Still feel lukewarm about the sound, but for that price I'm ready to experiment with DACs and amplifiers. Next purchase: Dragonfly Black.

Nov 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #18,364 of 22,944
Looks sublime. I like the edgy industrial design: those screws, matt aluminium, and green colour give the earphones non-consumer appeal. Too expensive for me though. Here in Europe Andromeda sells for EUR 1,300, which is 40% dearer than SE846.

By the way, if anyone is interested, after returning the SE846s (EUR 800) I went with SE535 (EUR 300). Still feel lukewarm about the sound, but for that price I'm ready to experiment with DACs and amplifiers. Next purchase: Dragonfly Black.

535 is a downgrade and I didn’t like it much.....but 500€ is a lot of money as well happy hunting

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #18,365 of 22,944
I'll have the se846 incoming on Wednesday. By far the most expensive iem I've bought. Finally, I'm confident enough I have enough sources that at least one will have synergy with the se846. Followes this thread for quite a while with alot of doubts but am excited to really see what it will sound like for myself. I also considered a campfire or westone iem, bute something about shure lured my attention first.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #18,366 of 22,944
I'll have the se846 incoming on Wednesday. By far the most expensive iem I've bought. Finally, I'm confident enough I have enough sources that at least one will have synergy with the se846. Followes this thread for quite a while with alot of doubts but am excited to really see what it will sound like for myself. I also considered a campfire or westone iem, bute something about shure lured my attention first.
Congratulations on the SE846! I feel like the Shure series, especially the SE846, are akin to timeless classics. :relaxed:

Enjoy!

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #18,368 of 22,944
Congratulations on the SE846! I feel like the Shure series, especially the SE846, are akin to timeless classics. :relaxed:

Enjoy!

+1 vote on the timeless classic thing :wink:

What are you thoughts on the newish lighting cable? I just got it for mine and I'm wondering what the thoughts on it are. :)

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to be more more positive and less disparaging (especially of Apple) in my posts. So I'll just say, if you ever get a chance to compare your phone (whatever that phone may be and whatever cable you may be using with it) against the LG V30, I think you'd find the comparison interesting.

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #18,369 of 22,944
What are you thoughts on the newish lighting cable? I just got it for mine and I'm wondering what the thoughts on it are. :)

Hallo, I am thinking of getting the 846, I have a mojo but I am tired of the cables, and rememberin to charge it, how far is the lighting cable from a mojo?

Would be neat to just have a IEM with a proper AMP/DAC build in.

Br Morten

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #18,370 of 22,944
I tried a new way to do the Knowles Acoustic damper modification. I took a larger paper clip and pushed all of the stuff out the black filters that come with the SE846. Then I took that same paperclip and pushed from the bottom of the metal Knowles filter housing to cup the brown cloth around the edge of the paper clip. Then I inserted it into the bottom of the black filters and it works beautifully. This way the little O-rings on the Shure stock filter still do their job of sealing the opening. I didn't take pictures of that, but I did take pictures pushing out the stuff from the blue filters and putting the red cloth in. I really like the Reds the best. Better than green or brown...

20171119_091842.jpg 20171119_092046.jpg 20171119_092304.jpg 20171119_092340.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #18,371 of 22,944
I tried a new way to do the Knowles Acoustic damper modification. I took a larger paper clip and pushed all of the stuff out the black filters that come with the SE846. Then I took that same paperclip and pushed from the bottom of the metal Knowles filter housing to cup the brown cloth around the edge of the paper clip. Then I inserted it into the bottom of the black filters and it works beautifully. This way the little O-rings on the Shure stock filter still do their job of sealing the opening. I didn't take pictures of that, but I did take pictures pushing out the stuff from the blue filters and putting the red cloth in. I really like the Reds the best. Better than green or brown...

Great post! I definitely feel that potential listeners of the Knowles Dampers will either prefer brown, green or red, as all sound pretty darn good!

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #18,372 of 22,944
Great post! I definitely feel that potential listeners of the Knowles Dampers will either prefer brown, green or red, as all sound pretty darn good!

Great seeing you back. I absolutely love the way this modification sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #18,373 of 22,944
Great seeing you back. I absolutely love the way this modification sounds.
Thanks, my dear friend. It’s a process, but I feel each day is continuously more beneficial than the last.

Mods/Knowles Dampers/and possibly the SCS FTW!

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #18,374 of 22,944
OMG! I am listening to Heart, Magic Man on the SE846 with the above described Knowles acoustic damper modification, and these IEMs are born again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back