Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #17,536 of 22,945
  I hear what you're saying, but my advice would be a modified version of it

I have owned a large number of sets of headphones, and when I decided to use IEMs instead, I kind of went from my headphone experience and upended it, or shortcutted it by specifically avoiding the midrange, or $300-$400 level. With headphones, I started at the low end, dabbled in the mid-range, and then eventually graduated to a high-end set. But I now realize I could have just shortcutted that process by, as you say, recognizing the sound signature I liked and just going for that. Of course, it sometimes takes owning a few sets of cans to recognize what you like. Fair enough.

But, what I did with IEMs was, I decided to just get a set of $100-ish IEMs, but considered very good, along with the ones I felt would be the ultimate in quality and sound signature for me, the Shure SE846's. I figured, if the Shures weren't markedly better, what's the point? I listened for a while to the other IEMs, which are indeed excellent, by the way, and then I switched to the Shures.

The SE846's are better in every way for me, and noticeably, especially compared to my headphones. I am not a basshead, but I need bass that is impactful and tight, and I need clarity in everything else. Well, I knew I had what I wanted. Plus I had 45 days to return them, so I wasn't worried anyway. But my point is, I went right to my IEM endgame, and I am so happy that I am now selling all my headphones (except the two sets I sent to my cousins). Oddly, I decided to keep the other IEMs and just store them in my truck for whatever possible need, and then I won't be worried about travelling with the Shures.

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone thinks they want high-end IEMs, then just go for it. The mid-range is never going to satisfy. There will always be something that says "these are only 90% of what I want and I could have had 100% and not wasted my time." Although, I have to admit, it is kind of fun to open all the boxes and feel the anticipation. But it's not worth the time of the money, ultimately, to me anyway. 

Oh yes. You are somewhat right. The 300-400 range for me gave me an itch to see what the top offered. Its honestly a curse as well because I pretty much stopped looking at mid tier IEM's.

I am done with headphones in general as I have 5 full sized ones, but the IEM game I feel like I could still do better than the IE800 and the SE846.
When I got my IE800 they were pretty good but I saw room for improvements, in isolation, cable length, microphonic, and a better sound signature for the majority of music overall. SE846 encompassed all of the qualities that I felt were lacking from the IE800.

Now I'm stuck at trying to see if I can improve in the sound quality just a touch more on perhaps a bit more detail, sound stage. Maybe jumping at the Noble Encores (universals)? Not really sure yet but I really need to calm my urges to get another small improvement.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #17,539 of 22,945
I'm thinking about picking up the SE846.  Does anyone know how they compare to the Andromeda? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #17,540 of 22,945

I am done with headphones in general as I have 5 full sized ones, but the IEM game I feel like I could still do better than the IE800 and the SE846.

I don't even want to know if I can do better! I'm all done, and they sound so good with my Lyr 2.

The only thing I might want is a less-janky cable. The stock one is pretty stiff and has rather plasticky and oddly shaped strain relief, etc. But, you know .. first world problems. "Waaaah, the cable on my $1000 IEMs is too stiff." But by the same token, for $1000, can I get a nicer cable? Yeesh.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #17,541 of 22,945

I agree the cable is a bit stiff but its also very sturdy. I dont like cheap thin cables. The shares have their issues but the cable thickness is nice. I also dont feel like I would ever spend like 300 bucks on a pair of light cables. That cost could go towards another pair of IEM!

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #17,542 of 22,945
  I'm thinking about picking up the SE846.  Does anyone know how they compare to the Andromeda? 

Different,

Andromeda is more airy and detailed. It's got a neutral sound signature and a wide sound stage. The SE846 is warm, bass prominent, mid forward. Sound stage is much smaller and there isn't as much air. It sounds great in my opinion for things like electronic music, hip hop, pop. 

For rock genres classical, you may want to stay with andromeda because it has more perceived sound stage and clarity. The SE846 has a slight roll off at the top. To my ears it sounds fine but some may want more detail. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #17,543 of 22,945

Different,

Andromeda is more airy and detailed. It's got a neutral sound signature and a wide sound stage. The SE846 is warm, bass prominent, mid forward. Sound stage is much smaller and there isn't as much air. It sounds great in my opinion for things like electronic music, hip hop, pop. 

For rock genres classical, you may want to stay with andromeda because it has more perceived sound stage and clarity. The SE846 has a slight roll off at the top. To my ears it sounds fine but some may want more detail. 

Very helpful!  Thanks! 

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #17,544 of 22,945
No problem. I seemed to figure out the issue with the SE846 making the creaking noise. It has to do with the stock foam tips. I took off the tips and tried to replicate the squeak. Neither side made a single noise.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #17,545 of 22,945

Different,

Good description. But with the right source, the Andromeda performs well with pop and more bass-heavy music too. However it really needs a source with low impedance output. If you have something like the iFi units, the XBass+ turned on will give it more low-end punch, without making them sound muddy and retaining all the air and high frequency detail.
That's what I liked in the 846>Andro move... you can turn an Andro into an 846 (almost) but there's no way to add the air and treble detail to the 846.
846 can be great fun tho, in fact, I guess the fact that I'm still here means I like it and kinda miss it, but that resolution veil was driving me nuts (even more than the stiff cable guide haha).

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #17,546 of 22,945
You can even look at the measurements that the Shure SE846 has got excellent sub bass extension. You probably have a poor seal if you think the Shure SE846 lacks sub bass extension.

The Shure SE846 might sound like it has forward mids because the Z1R has recessed mids. The Z1R is a V-shaped headphone.

I think i meant the sub bass extension isn't that deep. And i have excellent seal. Thank you.
Se846 has Shure forward mids signature and it's well known.
Are you trying to imply mine and beowulf ears are having problems?
I certainly hope not

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #17,547 of 22,945
Frequency response for the Shures with white filter: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

Seems like the sub-bass is pretty well-extended to me. In fact, seems to have very similar sub-bass presence by decibels as the Z1R: http://pmrreviews.com/?p=1162

Perhaps that's not what you mean by 'deep' bass extension? Maybe something more like bass impact?

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #17,548 of 22,945
  No problem. I seemed to figure out the issue with the SE846 making the creaking noise. It has to do with the stock foam tips. I took off the tips and tried to replicate the squeak. Neither side made a single noise.

Was the plastic core of the tips squeaking against the metal nozzle? You may have just solved the kind of small, infuriating problem that drives people batty.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #17,549 of 22,945

Was the plastic core of the tips squeaking against the metal nozzle? You may have just solved the kind of small, infuriating problem that drives people batty.

Well it seems that the IEM plastic core and the foam on portion of the ear tip is no longer held together by glue. They work perfectly fine but I do believe you are correct, the plastic core was causing the foam to rub against the core or perhaps the metal nozzle. I checked both tips and they both have parts of the end of the ear tips broken from the plastic and the foam. Its from using force to try to pull and remove the tips. Happened for some other tips I had as well but they didn't squeak.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #17,550 of 22,945
Frequency response for the Shures with white filter: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

Seems like the sub-bass is pretty well-extended to me. In fact, seems to have very similar sub-bass presence by decibels as the Z1R: http://pmrreviews.com/?p=1162

Perhaps that's not what you mean by 'deep' bass extension? Maybe something more like bass impact?

Good Bass should be audible and felt. Also should be clear and accurate. And doesnt bleed into other frequencies. No?

To me, Se846 bass sounds muddy and doesnt as much impact as the z1r.
Describing se846 bass as, accurate and has extension was what made me curious as what that person had compared the 846 against with.

Edit: we are debating on pure bass reproduction based on accuracy extension and impact. And not on the subject of whether a bigger sized driver could produce better base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back