Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #17,521 of 22,946
I've always heard this (have had the se846 for about 2 years). Never had anything break, so I guess it's fine.

Thats good to know that someone else experiences this. It feels like perhaps some kind of design of the SE846 to prevent you from bending the nozzle. Anyone else notice the squeak/creak when sometimes inserting into your ears or pushing at the nozzle a certain way? Want to see if its not a small isolated thing and it happens to the majority of 846 owners.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #17,522 of 22,946
Thats good to know that someone else experiences this. It feels like perhaps some kind of design of the SE846 to prevent you from bending the nozzle. Anyone else notice the squeak/creak when sometimes inserting into your ears or pushing at the nozzle a certain way? Want to see if its not a small isolated thing and it happens to the majority of 846 owners.

Just to add a data point, I have never heard what you're describing.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #17,523 of 22,946
Yeah, me neither. The fact that the nozzle is constructed from metal prevents it from bending. Frankly, that is already over-engineered compared to the problem of nozzle-bend that I've never even heard of. If it's related to pushing on the nozzle, it's not intentional and probably comes from the plastic shell. Just my two cents.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #17,525 of 22,946
But guys, it's metal against metal. No, the metal can't bend, but it can rotate if there's clearance to. It's not a glued contact. The end of the metal nozzle simply butts up against the metal earphone chamber.

To elaborate, I don't always hearing the rubbing sound; only when I'm really playing with the insertion to get a good fit (I use foam tips).

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #17,526 of 22,946
I also didn't notice any noises with plastic creaking or even the nozzles, except if they were not correctly tightened.
Btw, have you perhaps tightened the nozzle a bit too much after a filter change?

Despite being acrylic and having a plastic feeling overall, I liked the build quality of the 846. Had no complaints at all, although I only had them for three months.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #17,527 of 22,946
  But guys, it's metal against metal. No, the metal can't bend, but it can rotate if there's clearance to. It's not a glued contact. The end of the metal nozzle simply butts up against the metal earphone chamber.

To elaborate, I don't always hearing the rubbing sound; only when I'm really playing with the insertion to get a good fit (I use foam tips).

Thats what I meant. I know the metal won't bend, but I think there is some kind of rubbing. I usually get like a little rubbing or small squeak when I'm trying to get a good fit.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #17,528 of 22,946
  I also didn't notice any noises with plastic creaking or even the nozzles, except if they were not correctly tightened.
Btw, have you perhaps tightened the nozzle a bit too much after a filter change?

Despite being acrylic and having a plastic feeling overall, I liked the build quality of the 846. Had no complaints at all, although I only had them for three months.

Hmmm
Maybe I will try to lessen the nozzle just a touch. I did try to make sure it was tight. If anything does happen, I still have warranty but I was just wondering if this noise was normal. 

I still cant find a pair of IEM that fit all the check marks of the 846 besides customs. Maybe an upgrade in sound quality, and  the level of isolation that I have only had from the 846. Im fighting the urge to order customs due to their immediately low resell value.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #17,530 of 22,946
  For someone that is interested in high-end IEMs, are the 846s it for the price? What else is out there? Would custom IEMs give me a far better sound than Universal?

At the high end audio IEM world, it really comes down to sound signature and preference. Most high end IEMs are very capable of a high end and clear sound, but they each have pretty different variations in sound.

My preference when I got the SE846 I was looking for something that wouldn't be fatiguing to my ears due to treble as well as very good at isolation. The SE846, probably aren't the top when it comes to detail but they are still something that is considered top of the line performance. The bass on the SE846 you will not get anywhere else. Some kinds of music and musical preference will lean towards a better treble extension. They want infinite clarity. For me a pair of IEM like that would likely cause some serious ear fatigue and I would end up having to take them off with a short listen.

With all this said, the SE846 are still top of the line performance and sound. Its honestly down to preference and what you are aiming for. Many people praise the campfire audio andromedas and I am sensitive to treble. I heard them and thought they were okay, but I didn't like the bass response. I got my SE846 for a great price and I definitely think they are worth the price.

Customs will give you better isolation. They are essentially universals that are made to fit your ears and no one else. The SE846 were the best thing that came close to customs due to their isolation for me. I also like knowing that I could sell the universals. I dont really love customs due to their low resell value but I also find it annoying when universals dont have good isolation.

If you haven't worked your way up to the high end audio IEM perhaps aim for the 300-400 dollar range. You get like 90% of the performance of the top of the line. Some might call you crazy to drop 1000 dollars on a pair of IEM. Work your way up to it. You'll find more value out of it than jumping straight into the $1000 line. You get to appreciate everything before getting here.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #17,531 of 22,946
I hear what you're saying, but my advice would be a modified version of it

I have owned a large number of sets of headphones, and when I decided to use IEMs instead, I kind of went from my headphone experience and upended it, or shortcutted it by specifically avoiding the midrange, or $300-$400 level. With headphones, I started at the low end, dabbled in the mid-range, and then eventually graduated to a high-end set. But I now realize I could have just shortcutted that process by, as you say, recognizing the sound signature I liked and just going for that. Of course, it sometimes takes owning a few sets of cans to recognize what you like. Fair enough.

But, what I did with IEMs was, I decided to just get a set of $100-ish IEMs, but considered very good, along with the ones I felt would be the ultimate in quality and sound signature for me, the Shure SE846's. I figured, if the Shures weren't markedly better, what's the point? I listened for a while to the other IEMs, which are indeed excellent, by the way, and then I switched to the Shures.

The SE846's are better in every way for me, and noticeably, especially compared to my headphones. I am not a basshead, but I need bass that is impactful and tight, and I need clarity in everything else. Well, I knew I had what I wanted. Plus I had 45 days to return them, so I wasn't worried anyway. But my point is, I went right to my IEM endgame, and I am so happy that I am now selling all my headphones (except the two sets I sent to my cousins). Oddly, I decided to keep the other IEMs and just store them in my truck for whatever possible need, and then I won't be worried about travelling with the Shures.

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone thinks they want high-end IEMs, then just go for it. The mid-range is never going to satisfy. There will always be something that says "these are only 90% of what I want and I could have had 100% and not wasted my time." Although, I have to admit, it is kind of fun to open all the boxes and feel the anticipation. But it's not worth the time of the money, ultimately, to me anyway. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #17,533 of 22,946

@cellarbro Thank you for your thoughts. For sound signature, I'm a purist - so I want to hear a neutral sound; in my experience, when neutral is done correctly, it doesn't have to mean sterile or lifeless. I travel international a lot so isolation and comfort matter a lot.

I've had several lower-tier IEMs that, I bought years ago (CIEM Westone triple driver, Shure e5c, Etymotic 4s) but none of these really get close in my opinion. At home, I have PMC speakers and recently have picked up the Fostex 610s for personal listening when I'm home. The Fostex isn't my ideal cup of tea because it's scooped in the mids just enough for the vocals to get lost at times but it's close enough  to where if I had IEMs that could equal the Fostex's sound signature with a little more mids if possible I would be interested.

One more important factor for me, and the area where I feel that my current IEM lineup struggle, is the soundstage and imaging. My IEMs do not have the width or imaging that makes music come to life. I will say that I recently was sent the Nuforce Primo 8s that I purchased on Massdrop (I got the New version) and have refrained from opening it up because of these same fears - that it wouldn't be worth it to open it.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #17,534 of 22,946
Shure 846 is nice, noble encore is better. Acurate soundstage with better mid detail and a thick textured bass. Vocals really shine.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #17,535 of 22,946

@cellarbro Thank you for your thoughts. For sound signature, I'm a purist - so I want to hear a neutral sound; in my experience, when neutral is done correctly, it doesn't have to mean sterile or lifeless. I travel international a lot so isolation and comfort matter a lot.

I've had several lower-tier IEMs that, I bought years ago (CIEM Westone triple driver, Shure e5c, Etymotic 4s) but none of these really get close in my opinion. At home, I have PMC speakers and recently have picked up the Fostex 610s for personal listening when I'm home. The Fostex isn't my ideal cup of tea because it's scooped in the mids just enough for the vocals to get lost at times but it's close enough  to where if I had IEMs that could equal the Fostex's sound signature with a little more mids if possible I would be interested.

One more important factor for me, and the area where I feel that my current IEM lineup struggle, is the soundstage and imaging. My IEMs do not have the width or imaging that makes music come to life. I will say that I recently was sent the Nuforce Primo 8s that I purchased on Massdrop (I got the New version) and have refrained from opening it up because of these same fears - that it wouldn't be worth it to open it.

Okay SE846 are definitely not for you. They lean more for a warm, lush, textured and prominent bass presentation. They are incredibly fun sounding for the type of music I enjoy.

It sounds like you may want to look into the andromeda and the noble encore. I heard both and they both have a neutral presentation without sounding boring. I preferred the encores a lot more. If your are looking for width and imaging andromedas have a bit more with and the layering and air really make it sound like it has a massive sound stage. Those top of the line performers sound like more your cup of tea. 

I am currently on the loaner program for the harmony 8.2 by CustomArt. Also a neutral presentation with natural tones with a little bump in the sub bass and a little bump in the mids for a mid forward presentation. Harmony 8.2 sound a little more natural to me. The andromedas and encores while sound good, have a ton of airiness to their signature. Andromeda more than the encore. I would say they are both similar in signature from what I remember. I tried them out at can jam NYC. I kind of have a tickle to jump at the encores but the price is pretty heavy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back