Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #17,391 of 22,945
I know what you mean there. I never put all that much emphasis on sources (past a certain point) or things like cables. With a lot of equipment the difference between different DAC/amps can be minimal.

I've encountered two models that made me be more careful about that. One is the HD800,and the other is the Andromeda. I have 4 amp/dac setups I use often and the Andromeda sounds too bright, cold and lacking impact on two of them. It's just boring to listen to, even a bit fatiguing. With the other two (which probably have much lower output impedance) it's very nice. Much softer, warmer while retaining all the resolution and with a much stronger and tighter bass that really makes you feel those kick drums.

The SE846 didn't seem very vulnerable to the source to me, so in that sense it is a bit more versatile. Bass and lower mids were always satisfying, but I never managed to get the detail clarity and resolution I missed, regardless of source or filters. But your experience is quite interesting... I never tried any cables other than the stock. Gotta say I'm... hmm, cable-upgrade-skeptical, but if jt can be heard, I'll be converted. :D

I love the detail of these IEMs from my Questyle QP1R in low gain with white filters and spinfit tips. I put a VERY small amount of Eucerin moisturizer on the tips. Moisturizes the ear canal and gives you a killer seal.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #17,392 of 22,945

The SE846 didn't seem very vulnerable to the source to me, so in that sense it is a bit more versatile. Bass and lower mids were always satisfying, but I never managed to get the detail clarity and resolution I missed, regardless of source or filters. But your experience is quite interesting... I never tried any cables other than the stock. Gotta say I'm... hmm, cable-upgrade-skeptical, but if jt can be heard, I'll be converted. :D

I have five cables, six if you want to count the stock cables that came with the 846's individually. The stock cables sound good. My first silver litz sounded better than the stock and the next two cables were significantly better still. I was in the right place at the right time at the time of my purchases. I don't have any cables that costs $1K and I waited 6 months for. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #17,393 of 22,945

I have five cables, six if you want to count the stock cables that came with the 846's individually. The stock cables sound good. My first silver litz sounded better than the stock and the next two cables were significantly better still. I was in the right place at the right time at the time of my purchases. I don't have any cables that costs $1K and I waited 6 months for. 

neither did I, really. maybe 750 and 4-5 months  :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #17,394 of 22,945

You were the initial bad influence on my looking into better performance cables. Damn you! lol

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #17,395 of 22,945

You were the initial bad influence on my looking into better performance cables. Damn you! lol

I would probably listening to ear buds and beats through my phone if i never came upon this site. yolo baby yolo. rethink, I actually had bought 846, thought i was crazy, like a fox....

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #17,397 of 22,945
Someone try to use the shure on '' balanced mode '' ?, is the same?

846 is so efficient I doubt it's necessary. For preference purpose it depends on your dac amp, if it's balanced your committed to balanced. Some balanced amps could be better than se, that would provide better sq, but se is fine 846 wise.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #17,399 of 22,945
So I tried the spinfits with the SE846 today.

Does anyone have a combination that works well with this?

I put them on and the bass was almost too much. It was still clear and tight, but it was a bit too boomy at the same time and too in my face.

I used it with the white filters. Any recommendations would be welcomed. It opened up the treble a bit (little more air, better treble extension overall but still not like game changing different)but its kind of tucked away behind such a heavy slamming bass.

I also had to turn down the volume that I normally listen to them at because the bass I felt was a little too heavy. Its like floor shaking deep punching bass. Not the best when dance music is already pretty punchy.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #17,400 of 22,945
  So I tried the spinfits with the SE846 today.

Does anyone have a combination that works well with this?

I put them on and the bass was almost too much. It was still clear and tight, but it was a bit too boomy at the same time and too in my face.

I used it with the white filters. Any recommendations would be welcomed. It opened up the treble a bit (little more air, better treble extension overall but still not like game changing different)but its kind of tucked away behind such a heavy slamming bass.

I also had to turn down the volume that I normally listen to them at because the bass I felt was a little too heavy. Its like floor shaking deep punching bass. Not the best when dance music is already pretty punchy.

change the yellow fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back