Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #17,401 of 22,945
  So I tried the spinfits with the SE846 today.

Does anyone have a combination that works well with this?

I put them on and the bass was almost too much. It was still clear and tight, but it was a bit too boomy at the same time and too in my face.

I used it with the white filters. Any recommendations would be welcomed. It opened up the treble a bit (little more air, better treble extension overall but still not like game changing different)but its kind of tucked away behind such a heavy slamming bass.

I also had to turn down the volume that I normally listen to them at because the bass I felt was a little too heavy. Its like floor shaking deep punching bass. Not the best when dance music is already pretty punchy.

You also can try Sony (right on the photo) and Dunu (left) tips. Dunu tips probably are ones that will suit you better (not a bass heavy, relaxed sound). Sony tips are good too but more "bassy".
Just my opinion/recommendation

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #17,402 of 22,945

I put them on and the bass was almost too much. It was still clear and tight, but it was a bit too boomy at the same time and too in my face.

I used it with the white filters. Any recommendations would be welcomed. It opened up the treble a bit (little more air, better treble extension overall but still not like game changing different)but its kind of tucked away behind such a heavy slamming bass.

I also had to turn down the volume that I normally listen to them at because the bass I felt was a little too heavy. Its like floor shaking deep punching bass. Not the best when dance music is already pretty punchy.

Like you, I found a bassier sound and went back to my favourite Westone silicon Startips.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #17,403 of 22,945

shoot I'm scare of this! I been PM a couple member asking if an analytical bright amp and a silver cable would help alleviate the Bass.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #17,404 of 22,945

shoot I'm scare of this! I been PM a couple member asking if an analytical bright amp and a silver cable would help alleviate the Bass

A "good" silver cable does not decrease the bass and increase the highs as a lot of folks simply convey as a given assumed fact. But GOOD is a relative term and what one person thinks is good may be what another thinks is a waste of money. 
However...regardless of the components you choose, the beauty of the 846's is that you can change the nozzle insert to you're preference. In my experience, using the White insert should dismiss any concerns about bass heavy presentation. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #17,405 of 22,945
  A "good" silver cable does not decrease the bass and increase the highs as a lot of folks simply convey as a given assumed fact. But GOOD is a relative term and what one person thinks is good may be what another thinks is a waste of money. 
However...regardless of the components you choose, the beauty of the 846's is that you can change the nozzle insert to you're preference. In my experience, using the White insert should dismiss any concerns about bass heavy presentation. 

I respectfully disagree, with my Westone W60, the silver and copper cable I can tell night and day. With copper the Mids are more forward, bass have a thicker appearance (and a little more boomy), with a Silver cable the mids are more recessed, giving the appearance of a wider sound and seperation. Bass are well define less boominess (less punch also).

The user that I replied to stated that he was using the white filter.

I saw a thread where someone was using the 535 red filter, was wondering if anyone saw that?

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #17,407 of 22,945
have you try the shure olive tips? I love these with my Westone and really don't want to go back to westone silicone tips

Yes, find Westones more exciting than Shure foams on 846. Only on Noble Katana's do I prefer foam.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #17,408 of 22,945

shoot I'm scare of this! I been PM a couple member asking if an analytical bright amp and a silver cable would help alleviate the Bass.

I'm not into huge bass, and personally I found the stock cable and blue filters too bass heavy. But with a silver litz cable and the white filters, I found the bass and overall sound signature to be perfect with my AK120II.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #17,410 of 22,945

I respectfully disagree, with my Westone W60, the silver and copper cable I can tell night and day. With copper the Mids are more forward, bass have a thicker appearance (and a little more boomy), with a Silver cable the mids are more recessed, giving the appearance of a wider sound and seperation. Bass are well define less boominess (less punch also).

The user that I replied to stated that he was using the white filter.

I saw a thread where someone was using the 535 red filter, was wondering if anyone saw that?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #17,411 of 22,945
Yea that was me. On the Knowles, you really can't go wrong with brown green or red. I think the one that works best will be a cable dependent or taste. I was using red to tame a very slight sibilance. But it seemed to sacrifice in the bass. Used the green awhile and now the browns. I think most settled on brown but if you want a warmer sound go red, lively with deeper bass but a touch bright then brown. Green a compromise. But I promise, once you try these, you'll never go back if you get them in right. The clarity is a level above and it's not hard to hear the difference. To me, it makes a bigger upgrade than all of the higher end cables I've ever owned.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #17,412 of 22,945

Just received my replacement filters in "apropriate" packaging 
blink.gif
 Muhaahaha.

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #17,413 of 22,945
  Yea that was me. On the Knowles, you really can't go wrong with brown green or red. I think the one that works best will be a cable dependent or taste. I was using red to tame a very slight sibilance. But it seemed to sacrifice in the bass. Used the green awhile and now the browns. I think most settled on brown but if you want a warmer sound go red, lively with deeper bass but a touch bright then brown. Green a compromise. But I promise, once you try these, you'll never go back if you get them in right. The clarity is a level above and it's not hard to hear the difference. To me, it makes a bigger upgrade than all of the higher end cables I've ever owned.

where did you get the filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back