Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #17,371 of 22,943
This is probably a longshot - has anyone paired the SE846 with the AK100 MKII and AK70? Which did you prefer? While the AK70 has bigger soundstage and treble, I somehow really dig the bass on the AK100 MKII, the Wolfson chip is warmer. 

The reason why I ask on the SE846 thread is because this is the only IEM/Headphone that I prefer AK100 MKII with.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #17,372 of 22,943
I was playing with my 846's swapping nozzle inserts and still trying to figure out how I can get the Knowles dampers in place. Long story short, I'm still using the modded Blue insert. But while comparing the Andromeda and 846's using different cables on hand and my 2 year old X5...I came to the conclusion that the 846's sound pretty incredible with my Silvergarde cable and 1st Gen X5. 

smile.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #17,373 of 22,943
  I was playing with my 846's swapping nozzle inserts and still trying to figure out how I can get the Knowles dampers in place. Long story short, I'm still using the modded Blue insert. But while comparing the Andromeda and 846's using different cables on hand and my 2 year old X5...I came to the conclusion that the 846's sound pretty incredible with my Silvergarde cable and 1st Gen X5. 
smile.gif

So how do you compare those two by now? 846<>Andromeda, that is.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #17,375 of 22,943

not sure what is your priority as far as IEM goes, but to me the W60 is the comfort king. I can have it in for 8+ hours and still be fine, the shure 846 some have fitment issue. Sound wise, some people says it is warmer. some people describe the Shure 846 as more V-shaped. I am bass shy so I am totally fine with the W60 bass, I do wish it a little more bright in tonality.

​I think it depends on the tips and source being used with the w60, with spin tips they can be a little on the brighter side with nice bass but with the foams they can sound a little more organic I wanna say. they really sound better with a nice amp dac, I'm using the hp-p1 and they sound fantastic. and your right they are very comfy for sure.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #17,377 of 22,943
  This is probably a longshot - has anyone paired the SE846 with the AK100 MKII and AK70? Which did you prefer? While the AK70 has bigger soundstage and treble, I somehow really dig the bass on the AK100 MKII, the Wolfson chip is warmer. 

The reason why I ask on the SE846 thread is because this is the only IEM/Headphone that I prefer AK100 MKII with.

I test ak 120 II unbalanced with my shure se846 and match for me is horrible...

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #17,378 of 22,943

So how do you compare those two by now? 846<>Andromeda, that is.

I hadn't listened to the Shures for quite some time. The last time I had, it was with my QP1R and Therium 8 Wire, and at that time I preferred the sparkling airiness that the Andromeda offered that didn't seem to exist with the 846's, even with the White inserts. The mid and sub bass is presented differently, with the Shures being more visceral when using the stock Blue inserts, less so when modded. Yesterday was quite surprising. When using my X5 and swapping IEM's on the larger gauge pure silver Silvergarde, I thought that the detail of the cymbals sounded a little more pronounced and distinct from the 846's and that the Andromeda's seemed to bunch all of the different cymbals together. I was Seriously impressed because I didn't remember ever hearing the level of distinct clarity that I heard from the 846's at that moment. The bass was a little weaker than I would have liked, but that was in part to the modded Blue inserts, and more so because the Andro's seemed to completely flip the character that I had become accustomed to. The bass was less defined and the mid bass presented less impact.

Honestly...I'm not the person to spend a lot of time comparing one piece of equipment to another. I can pretty much make a decision on what I prefer to listen to in half a song. I certainly didn't believe what I was hearing in the different characters of both IEM's. I typically always have my X5 with me because I use it as a transport for my car stereo, and I'll occasionally bring the 846's connected to the stock silver litz cable that comes with the Andromeda's. It's very thin and ergonomic, and I won't lose my mind it something happened to it verses an accident with my Norne cables. (That's actually dumb...because Trevor would fix anything that happened to his cables, but the stock ALO cable is more mass produced). I was never really overly thrilled with that particular combo in comparison to the QP1R/Silvergarde/Andromeda that usually stays at home. But after what I heard yesterday from the 846's...apparently all I need to do is take the heavier gauge (I'm purposely not using cable names repeatedly) silver litz on the road with me and I should be thrilled with my street rig. 
biggrin.gif

Back to the drastically uncharacteristic performance that I heard from the Andro's yesterday. I believe that for the very first time I was hearing the finickiness that I had only read about regarding the Andromeda and whatever source they're connected to. It would be an impossibility that I would have come to the same conclusion above regarding my IEM preference using my QP1R (which I don't have in my possession right now) previously. This isn't meant to be a one over another post comparing what I feel are vastly different IEM's. What I wanted to convey is that I experienced a Holy Crap moment yesterday using a 846/Silvergarde combo with my X5. Very Pleasantly Surprised!  
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,379 of 22,943
  I hadn't listened to the Shures for quite some time. The last time I had, it was with my QP1R and Therium 8 Wire, and at that time I preferred the sparkling airiness that the Andromeda offered that didn't seem to exist with the 846's, even with the White inserts. The mid and sub bass is presented differently, with the Shures being more visceral when using the stock Blue inserts, less so when modded. Yesterday was quite surprising. When using my X5 and swapping IEM's on the larger gauge pure silver Silvergarde, I thought that the detail of the cymbals sounded a little more pronounced and distinct from the 846's and that the Andromeda's seemed to bunch all of the different cymbals together. I was Seriously impressed because I didn't remember ever hearing the level of distinct clarity that I heard from the 846's at that moment. The bass was a little weaker than I would have liked, but that was in part to the modded Blue inserts, and more so because the Andro's seemed to completely flip the character that I had become accustomed to. The bass was less defined and the mid bass presented less impact.

Honestly...I'm not the person to spend a lot of time comparing one piece of equipment to another. I can pretty much make a decision on what I prefer to listen to in half a song. I certainly didn't believe what I was hearing in the different characters of both IEM's. I typically always have my X5 with me because I use it as a transport for my car stereo, and I'll occasionally bring the 846's connected to the stock silver litz cable that comes with the Andromeda's. It's very thin and ergonomic, and I won't lose my mind it something happened to it verses an accident with my Norne cables. (That's actually dumb...because Trevor would fix anything that happened to his cables, but the stock ALO cable is more mass produced). I was never really overly thrilled with that particular combo in comparison to the QP1R/Silvergarde/Andromeda that usually stays at home. But after what I heard yesterday from the 846's...apparently all I need to do is take the heavier gauge (I'm purposely not using cable names repeatedly) silver litz on the road with me and I should be thrilled with my street rig. 
biggrin.gif

Back to the drastically uncharacteristic performance that I heard from the Andro's yesterday. I believe that for the very first time I was hearing the finickiness that I had only read about regarding the Andromeda and whatever source they're connected to. It would be an impossibility that I would have come to the same conclusion above regarding my IEM preference using my QP1R (which I don't have in my possession right now) previously. This isn't meant to be a one over another post comparing what I feel are vastly different IEM's. What I wanted to convey is that I experienced a Holy Crap moment yesterday using a 846/Silvergarde combo with my X5. Very Pleasantly Surprised!  
smile.gif

Your filter blue have the '' mod '' ?

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #17,384 of 22,943

​I think it depends on the tips and source being used with the w60, with spin tips they can be a little on the brighter side with nice bass but with the foams they can sound a little more organic I wanna say. they really sound better with a nice amp dac, I'm using the hp-p1 and they sound fantastic. and your right they are very comfy for sure.

I'm using the chord Hugo with it, and Shure Olive foam tips for the longest time combine with the Moon audio silver dragon cable. 

I dont think its bright with the spin tips, but then I been listening with my Beyer T1 and thats pretty bright.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #17,385 of 22,943
Back to the drastically uncharacteristic performance that I heard from the Andro's yesterday. I believe that for the very first time I was hearing the finickiness that I had only read about regarding the Andromeda and whatever source they're connected to.

I know what you mean there. I never put all that much emphasis on sources (past a certain point) or things like cables. With a lot of equipment the difference between different DAC/amps can be minimal.

I've encountered two models that made me be more careful about that. One is the HD800,and the other is the Andromeda. I have 4 amp/dac setups I use often and the Andromeda sounds too bright, cold and lacking impact on two of them. It's just boring to listen to, even a bit fatiguing. With the other two (which probably have much lower output impedance) it's very nice. Much softer, warmer while retaining all the resolution and with a much stronger and tighter bass that really makes you feel those kick drums.

This isn't meant to be a one over another post comparing what I feel are vastly different IEM's. What I wanted to convey is that I experienced a Holy Crap moment yesterday using a 846/Silvergarde combo with my X5. Very Pleasantly Surprised!  
smile.gif

The SE846 didn't seem very vulnerable to the source to me, so in that sense it is a bit more versatile. Bass and lower mids were always satisfying, but I never managed to get the detail clarity and resolution I missed, regardless of source or filters. But your experience is quite interesting... I never tried any cables other than the stock. Gotta say I'm... hmm, cable-upgrade-skeptical, but if jt can be heard, I'll be converted. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back