Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #16,261 of 22,945
Similar sound signature I guess.

I really do love SE846, I am only asking because I received a replacement and I can probably sell it at a decent price. So I wanted to entertain the idea of if there is an even higher mountain out there :p

Otherwise I might just get a custom sleeves from Sensaphonics or something.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #16,262 of 22,945

I really do love SE846, I am only asking because I received a replacement and I can probably sell it at a decent price. So I wanted to entertain the idea of if there is an even higher mountain out there :p

I used to love se846 before u ventured to hd800 and he400i, and now.... Empire Ears Zeus 14.. Blows everything out of proportion

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #16,263 of 22,945
  Hi guys,

I have had the SE846 for about a year and I absolutely love everything about it. I use the bass filter because I listen to a lot more EDM and bassy music. A while back my left earpiece started acting up and after a few exchange of email I was able to get a new replacement (good think I kept my receipt!).

I have yet to open the replacement, because I can sell these and look for an upgrade. So with that in mind, do you guys have anything that can recommend to me? I am honestly just looking for something that has the same intoxicating bass but does everything else better. I love the sound signature too. Please let me know if there are such things out there. Thank you!

Best bang for buck, Campfire Audio Andromeda at just under $1100. Will easily go head to head with other IEM's at twice the cost and double the amount of drivers

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #16,264 of 22,945
Best bang for buck, Campfire Audio Andromeda at just under $1100. Will easily go head to head with other IEM's at twice the cost and double the amount of drivers

I auditioned the Andromeda and I did enjoy it, I thgiuht of it as much better than se846, not as nice hd800, or th900, or Zeus, but better than anything under 1300$ (iems), but it's all subjective

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #16,265 of 22,945

I've had the 846 for a little over 3 years and I wonder about the "higher mountain" occasionally myself. I don't think it can be found in the next new generic BA IEM that's the flavor of the month. There would have to be something special about the technology involved or else you are just talking about a minor change in tuning. You can mimic that kind of change with EQ.

I went for the claims of new or better tech with the Roxanne 2 (fourth order crossovers and freq-phase waveguide). It was very nice (and did some things better) but lacked the really deep sub-bass of the 846. I also tried Shure's own KSE1500 (with the electrostatic driver). It too did some things better than the 846, but had compromises as well. I would go with the custom sleeves, if I were you (just my opinion).

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #16,266 of 22,945
If cash is of no concern, high quality cable can give the sound more clarity, proximity, and oomph. The stock cable is not that great, granted let's not discuss value and if it's worth it. I noticed a bump, but puts you back in the same place, after three years myself, where is that mountain anyway.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #16,267 of 22,945
I've had the 846 for a little over 3 years and I wonder about the "higher mountain" occasionally myself. I don't think it can be found in the next new generic BA IEM that's the flavor of the month. There would have to be something special about the technology involved or else you are just talking about a minor change in tuning. You can mimic that kind of change with EQ.

I went for the claims of new or better tech with the Roxanne 2 (fourth order crossovers and freq-phase waveguide). It was very nice (and did some things better) but lacked the really deep sub-bass of the 846. I also tried Shure's own KSE1500 (with the electrostatic driver). It too did some things better than the 846, but had compromises as well. I would go with the custom sleeves, if I were you (just my opinion).

I think the higher mountain is not the IEM but what it is connected to. The Shure SE846 scales alot and not even a Chord Mojo shows what the Shure SE846 is capable of. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #16,268 of 22,945

Custom Sleeves will get you the best tip available, and fill the void of wondering what the sound would be like if you had them. They're nice to have to scratch the itch. 

If cash is of no concern, high quality cable can give the sound more clarity, proximity, and oomph. The stock cable is not that great, granted let's not discuss value and if it's worth it. I noticed a bump, but puts you back in the same place, after three years myself, where is that mountain anyway.

I'm a subscriber of this mindset based upon my own experience. Everybody and their brother will make suggestions. Spending the most amount of money does not necessarily get you the best result. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #16,269 of 22,945

Custom Sleeves will get you the best tip available, and fill the void of wondering what the sound would be like if you had them. They're nice to have to scratch the itch. 

I'm a subscriber of this mindset based upon my own experience. Everybody and their brother will make suggestions. Spending the most amount of money does not necessarily get you the best result. 

who said anything about amount of money, ( other than the added cost)  if you can get a high quality cable for cheap, kudos. In my experience it bumps the experience, and if the mountain is not clearly visible, it might not be better to start climbing.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #16,270 of 22,945

who said anything about amount of money, ( other than the added cost)  if you can get a high quality cable for cheap, kudos. In my experience it bumps the experience, and if the mountain is not clearly visible, it might not be better to start climbing.

My comment was meant as advise to the OP of this inquiry, not toward any one of us already at an altitude on the mountain to warrant the necessity for oxygen...lol

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #16,271 of 22,945
I think the higher mountain is not the IEM but what it is connected to. The Shure SE846 scales alot and not even a Chord Mojo shows what the Shure SE846 is capable of. 

I haven't tried every possibility with the Mojo, but I don't really have much of a desire to try. The Note 3 with V4A has been doing the job for 3 years. I've had various audiophile DAPs over the years and they don't sound better. I bought the LG Van but returned it because it didn't sound better either (although if I could have rooted it and put V4A on it , who knows). When the tonality is right, I can't even imagine clearer sound (though, I guess it is possible). The KSE1500 was not clearer. It had a different flavor. The Rox 2 had a nice soundstage layout, but again just different. The 846 is deeper (more behind the head) in layout.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #16,273 of 22,945
Been using the T2 copper litz cable from Ted Allen. It is fantastic, craftsmanship at it's best! It did improve the sound in all aspects and it's very comfy. Aesthetically I love the new silver-looking mmcx barrels.

Still waiting for the custom ear sleeves from sensaphonics.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #16,274 of 22,945
Recently switched from IE800 to SE846, and really loving the sound especially the bass (even coming from the IE800, I'd say it's on par). Only thing is the cable fit, I really don't like the way Shure did the stock cables with the hardened wrap around (which sticks out). I was wondering, what are some good not-so-expensive third party cables that are softer and wrap around the ear more snuggly? Thanks.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #16,275 of 22,945
  Recently switched from IE800 to SE846, and really loving the sound especially the bass (even coming from the IE800, I'd say it's on par). Only thing is the cable fit, I really don't like the way Shure did the stock cables with the hardened wrap around (which sticks out). I was wondering, what are some good not-so-expensive third party cables that are softer and wrap around the ear more snuggly? Thanks.

What is your budget? We offer several options (all without ear guides or memory wire): http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back