Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #16,276 of 22,945
  Recently switched from IE800 to SE846, and really loving the sound especially the bass (even coming from the IE800, I'd say it's on par). Only thing is the cable fit, I really don't like the way Shure did the stock cables with the hardened wrap around (which sticks out). I was wondering, what are some good not-so-expensive third party cables that are softer and wrap around the ear more snuggly? Thanks.

It's fairly easy to remove the memory wire from the stock cables.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #16,277 of 22,945
I`ve had the shure se846 for some years now.But in all this time,i have used them little.They sound really great.But my ears dont like in ears that musch.But i have keept them,and used them now and then.Because they sound so good.I also have a little kid in the house,and headphones are much more easier to take on and off,when i have to beacause of my daughter,or wife.What im wandering about,is if there are some portable headphones that have the shures sound.And that are not to big,so i can wear them outside.Anyone have an idea.I like the shures warmth sound and bass,but aslo its soundstage and detail.I have read a little about the audeze shine.I like all kind of genres.But mostly rock/electronica.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #16,278 of 22,945
  I`ve had the shure se846 for some years now.But in all this time,i have used them little.They sound really great.But my ears dont like in ears that musch.But i have keept them,and used them now and then.Because they sound so good.I also have a little kid in the house,and headphones are much more easier to take on and off,when i have to beacause of my daughter,or wife.What im wandering about,is if there are some portable headphones that have the shures sound.And that are not to big,so i can wear them outside.Anyone have an idea.I like the shures warmth sound and bass,but aslo its soundstage and detail.I have read a little about the audeze shine.I like all kind of genres.But mostly rock/electronica.

I purchased a bluetooth device,(Around the neck),which plugs into my 846,and this together with Jabra app, gives a more than acceptable sound. With the iPhone in my pocket,i can go anywhere,and get a pretty good sound. I have asked the company, to make some for my W60,and hopefully, they should be available within a few weeks. The Bluetooth device works with both,but the pins are very slightly different. I was intrigued to try this device,as at £19.95 on Amazon,i thought i could not go wrong, and being able to use top quality earphones, has made all the difference.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #16,279 of 22,945
I purchased a bluetooth device,(Around the neck),which plugs into my 846,and this together with Jabra app, gives a more than acceptable sound. With the iPhone in my pocket,i can go anywhere,and get a pretty good sound. I have asked the company, to make some for my W60,and hopefully, they should be available within a few weeks. The Bluetooth device works with both,but the pins are very slightly different. I was intrigued to try this device,as at £19.95 on Amazon,i thought i could not go wrong, and being able to use top quality earphones, has made all the difference.

I think he's looking for the headphone equivalent of the Shure iems. I think it's pretty easy for headphones (because if their size advantage) to have better range than the shure, or any, iems. How much were you looking to spend. Audeze makes a couple nice phones, may be a good place to start.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #16,280 of 22,945

Are you looking for open or closed back?

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #16,282 of 22,945
Man if there was a way to "lift the blanket off the sound" these things would be pretty awesome.

Try the Knowles dampers. Information about them is in this thread if you search.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #16,284 of 22,945
) ive just ordered the audeze sine,to see if i like them.Hopefully i can return them if not.If i like them,im considering selling the shure se846.I would love to have an open back.but have wife an kid,so i cant use it often.closed back suits me better.Im going to use it indoor and outdoor.Live on an small place,so not much traffic/people here when going for an walk.My only concerns are rain and cold temperatures (winter is coming).the sine is an expensive headphone,and want it to last for years to come.i hope it isolate ok.of course when im outside i want to hear traffic and stuff,but also the music :) ive tried to like iems.But the comfort is just not right there.I like headphones better.better comfort,and easy to take on and off :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #16,285 of 22,945

) ive just ordered the audeze sine,to see if i like them.Hopefully i can return them if not.If i like them,im considering selling the shure se846.I would love to have an open back.but have wife an kid,so i cant use it often.closed back suits me better.Im going to use it indoor and outdoor.Live on an small place,so not much traffic/people here when going for an walk.My only concerns are rain and cold temperatures (winter is coming).the sine is an expensive headphone,and want it to last for years to come.i hope it isolate ok.of course when im outside i want to hear traffic and stuff,but also the music
smily_headphones1.gif
ive tried to like iems.But the comfort is just not right there.I like headphones better.better comfort,and easy to take on and off
smily_headphones1.gif

I only own two closed back headphones:

1. Beyer DT770 pro, which could suit your needs, and are not expensive https://www.amazon.fr/Beyerdynamic-483664-Casque-32-Ohm/dp/B008POFOHM 
  2. Beyer T51 i, which are lighter weight, and arguably more 'mobile', plus because they are on-ear, you can retain some awaremess of external sounds. They are very good at resolving fine detail in the music (especially prog rock and jazz), but may not suit anyone who prefers a bit of bass boost. https://www.amazon.fr/beyerdynamic-51-Casque-microphone-télécommande/dp/B00K0PLQ9E

I bought the DT770 to cover the need to not disturb anyone else (or my cat), with the sound of my music.

I hope that you manage to find a pair of HP that suits you - there seem to be so many good HPs on the market, that choosing the right pair can become difficult.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #16,287 of 22,945
I only own two closed back headphones:

I bought the DT770 to cover the need to not disturb anyone else (or my cat), with the sound of my music.

I hope that you manage to find a pair of HP that suits you - there seem to be so many good HPs on the market, that choosing the right pair can become difficult.

Tnx for reply :) yes its a lot of headphones out there.My problem is that i cant go demo these headphones all the time.so i must trust reviewers and users here on head-fi :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #16,288 of 22,945
My only pair of headphones that get tons of use are my Ultrasone Proline 750's. The current equivalent model is simply "Ultrasone Pro 750".

They have oodles of bass, have titanium-coated drivers like the famous Koss Porta-Pro's so the highs are very good, but the bass is visceral - you feel like it is thumping your chest!

I love these, but they are full over-the-ear headphones. I've taken them walking, though! Super comfortable.

BTW - these are easy to drive. An amp makes things better, but is not necessary.

Terry

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #16,289 of 22,945
Recently switched from IE800 to SE846, and really loving the sound especially the bass (even coming from the IE800, I'd say it's on par). Only thing is the cable fit, I really don't like the way Shure did the stock cables with the hardened wrap around (which sticks out). I was wondering, what are some good not-so-expensive third party cables that are softer and wrap around the ear more snuggly? Thanks.

Impact Audio on Etsy. I'm having them make me a copper cable with Eidolic tips and splitter, absolutely great work and reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back