Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #15,616 of 22,954
Here is another test - a sweep test that covers the range of human hearing. (Thanks to SilverEars)

Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #15,617 of 22,954
Another important test to check on several factors.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #15,618 of 22,954
I just read about some audio fit tests that are at the Sensaphonics website. You could check them out to ensure you have a good fit going on, perhaps.  http://www.sensaphonics.com/test
(Thanks to moedawg140)

Terry

Hi,

To read all about the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves and impressions from owners, feel free to check out the SCS review thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #15,619 of 22,954
Hi,

To read all about the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves and impressions from owners, feel free to check out the SCS review thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846.

I have that well bookmarked - it is a treasure trove!

I've read a couple hundred posts of yours from back in 2014, Moe -- I feel like I know all of that gang from then. Coming out of lurker mode after many years absent. With my 8's!!!

Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #15,620 of 22,954
moedawg140

Well, this is so funny. I've been reading the old posts on the thread, starting with about 200 or so. I was reading page 384 and stopped to do my post above about getting my 8's, and later posted that silly virtual haircut piece (uh... to test left and right channels, of course!)

So, I return to page 384 and what do I find as I scroll down a bit from where I had left off? You had posted the virtual haircut!

Talk about strangely connected... :)

Good to connect with you after getting to know you a bit "virtually" this last few weeks via this awesome thread!

Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #15,621 of 22,954
I have that well bookmarked - it is a treasure trove!

I've read a couple hundred posts of yours from back in 2014, Moe -- I feel like I know all of that gang from then. Coming out of lurker mode after many years absent. With my 8's!!!

Terry

Good stuff, Terry! Even though I've been a member of Head-Fi for a couple of years, I feel a lot of members that posted from back then aren't posting anymore. Life does get in the way sometimes, so no worries in that regard.

Welcome, and maybe I'll see you at a meet in the future (like RMAF later this year).

Cheers! :beerchug:

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #15,622 of 22,954
moedawg140

Well, this is so funny. I've been reading the old posts on the thread, starting with about 200 or so. I was reading page 384 and stopped to do my post above about getting my 8's, and later posted that silly virtual haircut piece (uh... to test left and right channels, of course!)

So, I return to page 384 and what do I find as I scroll down a bit from where I had left off? You had posted the virtual haircut!

Talk about strangely connected... :)

Good to connect with you after getting to know you a bit "virtually" this last few weeks via this awesome thread!

Terry

It's fate. Hehe

And again, hope to see you at a meet in the future!

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #15,623 of 22,954
Hey guys! Noob to high end IEMs here. My main rig is Audeze LCD-Xs with Dana Lazuli cables, Woo Audio WA-22 amp, and a Chord Mojo as DAC. Just got the SE846s yesterday and the first hour or two of listening sounded awful. I tried every tip and filter but still..very compressed soundstage and all sorts of grainy mids and highs. Not even close to what I was expecting for $1k. Do I need to let them burn in for a while? If so, how long and what kinds of improvements should I hear?
Maybe the foam not fit properly, thats why ur hearing grainy mids and highs☺️

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #15,624 of 22,954
No burn-in is required of this kind of IEM, according to Shure themselves, but brain burn-in may be needed as you get used to the sound. I do not know what a "grainy mid and high" sounds like myself, so I cannot answer to that claim. My 846's sound amazing to me now that I have the tip/filter stuff worked out for my personal scenario (ear canals, preferences, etc.) See my post two posts up.

These are very low impedance IEMs at only 9 ohms. Is your amp's output impedance low enough for these? That is another major consideration. Also, be very careful when re-assemblng the filters, as it is easy to have them dislodge as you screw on the retainer ring so you do not actually have the correct placement.

The soundstage is very wide with mine. Keep messing with the tips and be sure you have a good combo going with your filters.

Terry

Knew I spoke too soon. I'm a firm believer in burn-in for everything, cables, drivers, tubes, etc. And what do ya know..these things are sounding better and wider the more hours I put on them. As far as amping I'm only using my Mojo or just Tidal straight from iPhone. Good tip on the filter assembling though..I may have overlooked that. Unfortunately the only tips that fit my tiny ears comfortably are the smallest grey rubber ones. The others don't seal right or cause pain for long term use. I'm groovin to these things now. I hope they keep improving as time goes on. I can still hear a bit of unnatural harshness in the mids and highs but far better than they were fresh from the box.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #15,625 of 22,954
846 with 3.5 TRRS & Spinfit into the ZX2.  Going balanced does something magical to the 846's - typical complaints of being veiled and narrow soundstage (I had this issue initially coming from JH Angie and IE800) all disappear and it still keeps its sweet mids and thunderous lows.

Seriously, I've had the KSE1500 and Layla v.2 with me for awhile collecting dust because this is the combo I grab.  Every time.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #15,626 of 22,954
Knew I spoke too soon. I'm a firm believer in burn-in for everything, cables, drivers, tubes, etc. And what do ya know..these things are sounding better and wider the more hours I put on them. As far as amping I'm only using my Mojo or just Tidal straight from iPhone. Good tip on the filter assembling though..I may have overlooked that. Unfortunately the only tips that fit my tiny ears comfortably are the smallest grey rubber ones. The others don't seal right or cause pain for long term use. I'm groovin to these things now. I hope they keep improving as time goes on. I can still hear a bit of unnatural harshness in the mids and highs but far better than they were fresh from the box.

That's good to hear - I think  you will really come to love these things.

As to burn-in, my initial response to many things is that of being skeptical, but as Shakespeare's Hamlet stated, obviously referring to me, "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

So, I remain a little open-minded, but would love to see actual documented and repeatable scientific evidence of such things as "burn-in" someday!

As I posted the other day, I nearly sent mine in for repair after my first day with these. Some tip rolling (and especially getting over trying to make the triple-flanges work with my ear canal resonances, though making them dual-flanges worked wonders) and just getting used to the sound signature brought me around!

Enjoy!

Terry

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #15,627 of 22,954
I think there is an amount of getting used to any new gear. I have a SW24 TRRS cable for my ZX2. Straight away the difference was incredible. It was superb to hear. Now I'm 28 hours into using it, I'm wondering where this awesome sound has gone! All it is is that I am now getting used to the sounds so the difference is no longer so pronounced as it was before. Unless I or you are doing back to back testing with the 'old' gear you do lose track of the changes as your head and ears get used to the new sounds.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #15,628 of 22,954
Can anyone help me compare se846 and fitear tg334? Just got se846 two weeks ago for $800 brand new, use it with modded blue filter, it sounds great but after some research around internet, i am very curious about tg334.
Its brand new price now is $1400. It is worth hundreds dollars to sell se846 and get tg334? It could be around $700.
I am using them with chord mojo. Mostly listen vocal and pop. Thank you guys for helping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back