Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #15,606 of 22,954
Shure SE846 via TRRS must be sublime! I've got half of it, I just need the 846's. LOL.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #15,607 of 22,954
  hi guys im looking for $1k universals and leaning towards the SE846, its been a while since ive followed IEM scene but what are the biggest competitors in this price range besides the SE846? 

As someone else mentioned already, I would look at Campfire Audio's Andromeda. Noble Audio also has a ton of offering at that price point and below and beyond. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #15,609 of 22,954

no filter..just put the foam into the metallic tube. u'll not regret it :wink:

what material did you use?

He took the foam out of the original filter tubes. 
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #15,610 of 22,954
Hello everybody! Glad to be here - I've been reading through the posts since 2014 and just love this community! I recently upgraded from the Shure SE215's. I am an old Shure IEM user (used my E4C till the cable fell apart), and was intrigued by this new technology that they had on offer now, so I dove in.

I am a case where “audio bliss” was not immediately mine upon receiving my SE846 IEMs. I very nearly sent them to Shure to be looked at for repair!

(BTW - I love them immensely now. In fact, I’ve owned them for two weeks now and can not take them off!)

My biggest mistake for my ear canals was to immediately take off the stock foam tips and go for the triple-flange one, as I love the isolation those offer and used them with my SE215's. However, those tips made the sound extremely boxy in the lower end (150 - 300Hertz) - as if they were resonating the upper lows - the muddy sector!!! So, I was shocked that my $1000 IEM’s could sound so unbelievably TERRIBLE! I later concluded it had something to do with the length of the triple-flange tubes somehow dampening the sound, or acting like a resonating chamber perhaps. I tried the two mods suggested in Shure’s online FAQ, trimming off ⅛” from the stem and cutting off the topmost/smallest flange. That restored the sound dramatically, and it is now one of my favorite tips. (See http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3345)

For me, sometimes the black filters seem to make the extreme left and right channels feel more integrated and connected with the center channel material. The Blue filters left me feeling the extreme left and right channels were disconnected from the center content, living in their own world. The black filters smoothed out that experience vastly. Now all the parts sound like they are in the same recording! (This effect might be lessened with the blue filters if I used a crosstalk plugin, perhaps, but I seldom do that, as I like the wide soundstage! I just want it all to sound like it is on the same “stage”!) Now, reverb tails seem to extend across the entire space as they should as well, when that is what is intended, or feel completely integrated with the source creating that reverb. Panned materials seem to retain their character across the soundstage as they should. I was surprised to find the black filters to have so many desirable traits! I was expecting them to merely sound darker and mute the highs. Much to my surprise, the highs are all still there, and the bass seems well tamed with these black filters, to me. For electronica, I like the blue filters best, so I change them a lot!

I found that reproducing acoustic guitar was a challenge for many of the tips. The foam tips from Shure - both the “yellow foams” and the “black olives” -  were absolutely awful.  “Julia” by the Beatles, for instance, becomes unlistenable.  Both foam tips caused a “blooming” effect in the upper bass that turned acoustic guitars to mud - FOR MY EARS.The Shure silicone “Ultra Soft Flex Sleeve” tips smoothed out that tonal response completely, permitting the acoustic guitars “body” to come through in a tight and controlled fashion. This is further proof that so-called “tip-rolling” is a very worthwhile exercise! I wonder if this has as much to do with the shape of your ear canal and its resonant characteristics as it has to do with the tips’ interaction with them? That seems likely, and that is why YMMV! :)

I found a chart showing the various stock Shure tip dimensions. Once you find tips that fit, you can note their dimensions for comparison with the Westone tips, for instance.  http://shure.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4167/0/filename/Earphone+Sleeve+Technical+Info+v2.pdf

The Westone “Star” and “TruFit” tips have their own magic to contribute to this mix. I especially liked the “Star” ones and was surprised at how well they isolate. Their foams are nice for some types of source material also. Get their sampler “kit” and try them all out! https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=westone+tip+truefit+and+star+fit+kit

Anyway, there’s my first post regarding my experience with the SE846 so far. Glad to be a new member  of the “cult” here! And yes, the Sensaphonic sleeves beckon...

Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #15,611 of 22,954
Hi All,
Been on the road with my mobile rig:  AK120ii - Moon Silver Dragon - Oppo HA-2 - Forza Hybrid - SE846.  Came home loving the sound more than ever.  Just sublime w/ multiple music genres.  I'm still using the unmodded blue filters.  Thanks for the ideas for the new mods - looks very interesting!

FWIW, my brother (a newby) did something really nice for me, so I decided to upgrade his IEM experience from his current SE215 to the SE846 + a Forza hybrid cable from Poland.  His birthday is coming - he has no idea and I can't wait for the reaction :wink:.

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #15,612 of 22,954
Hey guys! Noob to high end IEMs here. My main rig is Audeze LCD-Xs with Dana Lazuli cables, Woo Audio WA-22 amp, and a Chord Mojo as DAC. Just got the SE846s yesterday and the first hour or two of listening sounded awful. I tried every tip and filter but still..very compressed soundstage and all sorts of grainy mids and highs. Not even close to what I was expecting for $1k. Do I need to let them burn in for a while? If so, how long and what kinds of improvements should I hear?

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #15,613 of 22,954
No burn-in is required of this kind of IEM, according to Shure themselves, but brain burn-in may be needed as you get used to the sound. I do not know what a "grainy mid and high" sounds like myself, so I cannot answer to that claim. My 846's sound amazing to me now that I have the tip/filter stuff worked out for my personal scenario (ear canals, preferences, etc.) See my post two posts up.

These are very low impedance IEMs at only 9 ohms. Is your amp's output impedance low enough for these? That is another major consideration. Also, be very careful when re-assemblng the filters, as it is easy to have them dislodge as you screw on the retainer ring so you do not actually have the correct placement.

The soundstage is very wide with mine. Keep messing with the tips and be sure you have a good combo going with your filters.

Terry

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #15,614 of 22,954
  Hey guys! Noob to high end IEMs here. My main rig is Audeze LCD-Xs with Dana Lazuli cables, Woo Audio WA-22 amp, and a Chord Mojo as DAC. Just got the SE846s yesterday and the first hour or two of listening sounded awful. I tried every tip and filter but still..very compressed soundstage and all sorts of grainy mids and highs. Not even close to what I was expecting for $1k. Do I need to let them burn in for a while? If so, how long and what kinds of improvements should I hear?

Not sure about the burn-in, but suspect it's more about the tips.  The fit in you ear canal has got to be right, or the SQ will never be good.  I messed around with many tips and settled on the tapered foam tips.  They seal just right, not too much, so they let in a bit of noise and still seal well enough to provide good sound.  Everyone's ears are different, that's just my experience.  Good luck - once you hit the right set-up you will be amazed by the SQ.  

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #15,615 of 22,954

I just read about some audio fit tests that are at the Sensaphonics website. You could check them out to ensure you have a good fit going on, perhaps.  http://www.sensaphonics.com/test
(Thanks to moedawg140)

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back