Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #227 of 3,218
To me...too much for an IEM.

It looks nice though.

May 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #228 of 3,218
Quote:
I love all the replies that state a custom monitor is worth the extra money just because they are more labor intensive. I'll give them that, but I will not agree that it makes them superior in any other manner automatically. I really like that Shure is thinking outside the box on these. It's unfortunate that people think mass produced items are somehow inferior to a custom product. I don't see the same complaint with iPhones  
size]

The fact that a custom has separate output ports for mid, low and high DOES automatically make it better and more cohesive sounding.  No tip differentiation issues would be another meaning there is a uniform absolute measurable sound with a custom....but there isn't with a universal because of fit and tip issues which is critical.

May 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #229 of 3,218
Quote:
All other things being equal, mass-produced should be cheaper than custom-made.  That's the entire point of mass production.  Now, if the sound quality is really that much better then it might be understandable... but if it isn't, it's harder to justify.  This still remains to be seen.

What's nice for Shure is that at this price point sound "quality" means absolutely nothing. This has already been proven with the FI-BA-SS and K3003. What does quality mean? What was the target sound, and how was it achieved? Unfortunately, once an iem costs so much, people will praise it's "quality" no matter what it sounds like, because something so expensive couldn't possibly have major flaws. Oh that 5dB peak at 8kHz? That's supposed to be there! And so is that 10dB dip at 3.5kHz... and the lack of all frequencies above 10kHz...

We see the same thing in wine, where "experts" will praise a bottle of two buck chuck with a Cakebread label slapped on it. Expensive ≠ quality.

May 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #231 of 3,218
Quote:

What's nice for Shure is that at this price point sound "quality" means absolutely nothing. This has already been proven with the FI-BA-SS and K3003. What does quality mean? What was the target sound, and how was it achieved? Unfortunately, once an iem costs so much, people will praise it's "quality" no matter what it sounds like, because something so expensive couldn't possibly have major flaws. Oh that 5dB peak at 8kHz? That's supposed to be there! And so is that 10dB dip at 3.5kHz... and the lack of all frequencies above 10kHz...

We see the same thing in wine, where "experts" will praise a bottle of two buck chuck with a Cakebread label slapped on it. Expensive ≠ quality.

Yeah, this is my general viewpoint as well, but I'm skirting that issue because when it comes to this discussion on audiophile forums, thar be dragons.

But really, the notion that mass-producing an earphone out of relatively cheap plastic in China shouldn't have an impact on cost is silly.  There isn't a part of that sentence that isn't all about cutting cost, and I have real trouble believing that R&D factors that much into it given that these are still off-the-shelf drivers and the same cord/connector they've been using for a while.

It's a prestige product more than anything, a great big "look what we can do" to the world, though prestige products tend to look more solidly constructed than this... all plastic with a big fat seam doesn't really scream TOTL to me.  The tech itself will trickle down pretty fast, as it always does.

May 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #236 of 3,218
Quote:
Yeah, this is my general viewpoint as well, but I'm skirting that issue because when it comes to this discussion on audiophile forums, thar be dragons.

But really, the notion that mass-producing an earphone out of relatively cheap plastic in China shouldn't have an impact on cost is silly.  There isn't a part of that sentence that isn't all about cutting cost, and I have real trouble believing that R&D factors that much into it given that these are still off-the-shelf drivers and the same cord/connector they've been using for a while.

It's a prestige product more than anything, a great big "look what we can do" to the world, though prestige products tend to look more solidly constructed than this... all plastic with a big fat seam doesn't really scream TOTL to me.  The tech itself will trickle down pretty fast, as it always does.

I think the R&D is mainly because of the low pass filter, the steel plate assembly I dont think Ive seen anything like this before (shure have got a patent going through on it).

May 10, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #239 of 3,218
didn't read the thread but lol @ the clear cables / plastic. looks like you're wearing a hearing aid. this stuff better come in different solid colours

might as well buy a custom fitted one for around the same price anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back