Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #241 of 3,218
i really don't see the value of getting these over the JH16 or the JH13.
(new one with) (Freqphase time|phase) would be nice ,,
tongue_smile.gif

Maybe if you like sharing your music?
They would have to explain why one would settle for these and not custom ones?

Forgetting al that ..i think it's a great product..
showing what they can do..
ksc75smile.gif

May 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #242 of 3,218
It actually does cost a lot to R&D such product. It's not like there's one guy sitting and throwing drivers in to see which one sounds best and come up with a design after one day. There's a big involvement of Sonion in research for best possible solution and believe options are ENDLESS here. Those drivers are custom made to fit the design

May 10, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #243 of 3,218
The bass filter looks like the waveguide you find in the bose wave system. Same principal perhaps?

May 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #245 of 3,218
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Shure IEMs, but $1000 is a bit much.  That's custom IEMs territory.  Of course, that's a retailed price...and most retailer will offer them at around 20% off.  So maybe around $750 street price?  Mfgs are cashing in their products that's for s(h)ure.

Shure is always price protected. Expect $999 as the only advertised price.

4 drivers seems the right amount here since the 2 bass drivers roll below 100hz. A dedicated tweeter will be faster and allow better frequency tailoring than a single driver from 90 on up.

My biggest issue with a $999 universal is that you're still dealing with tip sig and part of why when I decided to spent too much, I went custom. That said, Shure also have the best tips and resale should be better but I don't buy things I like to sell them. You also avoid the wait and fit issues customs can have An audition will actually let you hear what you end up with, unlike customs and the extra filters will also allow more flavor tuning and those with uneven ears some tailoring as well.

Looking at the pics, these seem to have very specific custom manufactured drivers. Without having a great market read and all the custom bits, these were going to be expensive. Goes with the territory. My only issue is that if it's that custom, why 9 ohms? Seems counter intuitive. Perhaps it's higher at the extremes.

May 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #248 of 3,218
I got the rundown of the system today. It is perhaps the most planned, designed, researched IEM today. The acoustics filtration system on this puppy alone, boggles the mind. The price is high, but the system itself isn't just another 'not a custom' universal earphone. It really is a new way of thinking/designing an earphone - of any sort. 

May 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #249 of 3,218
I'm Shure
wink_face.gif
that's true. It appears to be a band pass design for the woofers but I'm sure there's more to it and it obviously took a lot of effort to get right and control resonance. I very much appreciate that they have separate mid an tweeter instead of some off the shelf shared nozzle device as has become so common. 

May 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #250 of 3,218
I got the rundown of the system today. It is perhaps the most planned, designed, researched IEM today. The acoustics filtration system on this puppy alone, boggles the mind. The price is high, but the system itself isn't just another 'not a custom' universal earphone. It really is a new way of thinking/designing an earphone - of any sort. 

But elaborate more on its sound if possible! :wink:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #252 of 3,218
Quote:
I have that EXACT same question:
  1. low resell value
  2. have to have re-fits every so often
  3. I hear they're really fragile
  4. if you don't like the sound, you're screwed

On the other hand:
  1. Better fit, and possibly isolation
  2. More customisable colour options, though that's completely subjective

No tips so no difference in sound when you change them and every tip sounds different. They don't push themselves out of your ears or need foam to settle on installation. Sound is always personal and so that will be by individual but It's hard to beat the current jh13 for overall sonics if it's flavor (or lack of) fits. Customs shouldn't be only slightly more fragile because Shures are simply very durable. Other universals, not so much. If these have more bass than the 13s, I won't like it as much. Tuning is nice but if I owned them, I would settle on one and be done. I bought my jh13fp customs for $900 with impressions and could probably sell them for $600ish. I suspect you'd lose close to $300 in resale on the Shure as well once it's in full supply. It's a price protected product that will be difficult to buy below $999 with a warranty

None of this speaks to the overall quality of the 846 itself and I bet it's great in both build and sound.
bigsmile_face.gif
 It also doesn't have the initial hassles of a custom purchase and will obviously be better than some customs. While my fav is a custom, there are going to be plenty of meh examples as well. Much to be said for instant gratification as well. Easy to quantify by reading headfi for day.

May 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #253 of 3,218
Quote:
LOL. They'd have to have their own sweat-shop to make $846 profit out of $1000. And next week on 60 Minutes....

I'd be curious to know how many, for example, 535s are sold yearly. I live in a mid-size southern U.S. city with a metro population of over a million people and I've never seen another person with a Shure earphone. I've been on the lookout for a fellow Shure owner for 9 years now.

They use to carry a couple of Shure earphones in the Apple Store, Best Buy, (at one time) CompUSA (now defunct), and I believe Circuit City (also closed). Now, you can only get them locally at the airport.

I'm reluctant to believe R&D is a major expense that would double the price of this IEM. I can't help but think R&D is just a couple of guys on payroll anyway. What the heck are they researching? They don't make the drivers. I mean, c'mon, the guy who makes (arguably) “the best” of these UIEMs (TG!334) is a dentist, right?

I don't think Shure is price gouging, but some of what makes good sound in an IEM market is borne of goodwill (you know, attitude is altitude....). I mean, even as I returned the IQ, I somehow want to believe it is/was superior on some level and I just didn't have the right source to bring it out. It's hard for me to say it wasn't great because it cost $900.

They are charging a lot but there have been lots of expense beyond the R&D which was extensive, Lots of custom dies and tooling for these. The drivers are custom as well. We don't know how custom but it takes a significant buy in regardless. There is a huge start up investment and with Shure not knowing how popular it will be, these needed to be expensive. If too much, don't buy but I suspect they will exceed Shure's own sales expectations, especially in far east markets.

Problem is that I don't see them ever dropping the retail price regardless of market. Maybe they'll lower the minimum advertised price at some point in the distant future but I doubt it.

May 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #254 of 3,218
Quote:
The bass filter looks like the waveguide you find in the bose wave system. Same principal perhaps?

Wave guide is more a tuned pipe for added bass at a narrow band. This is more a bandpass that acoustically limits upper extension and allows full bandwidth below. Completely different principals that both happen to use a tube

May 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #255 of 3,218
Over time people who possess top end customs and universals will sit down and test  Shure's new offering; that's when the hype will be bypassed and we'll learn if the 'new approach' yields significant sonic results.

Personally I hope it does as technology always trickles down market and someone raising the bar makes others step up their game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back