Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #212 of 3,218
I just got off the phone with Robert Urlich Shure, founder and CEO of Shure, and he told me that the SE846 actually cost over 1.5k$ in production and amortization of R&D. R.U. Shure then told me that they sold it at such a low price only out of love for the fans. Finally he hinted that there might be a package with the AK120 and that monthly installments would be possible.

May 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #213 of 3,218
Quote:
I just got off the phone with Robert Urlich Shure, founder and CEO of Shure, and he told me that the SE846 actually cost over 1.5k$ in production and amortization of R&D. R.U. Shure then told me that they sold it at such a low price only out of love for the fans. Finally he hinted that there might be a package with the AK120 and that monthly installments would be possible.

Debate over. No need for fact checking folks. HE'S PASSING THE SAVINGS ON TO US!

Edit: Does the CEO speak with a Rhode Island accent and the company name is actually meant to be Sure?

Edit: I'm thinking Teddy Roosevelt...

Edit: I'm thinking Franklin Roosevelt aww just fugheddaboutit

May 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #214 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:

Debate over. No need for fact checking folks. HE'S PASSING THE SAVINGS ON TO US!

Edit: Does the CEO speak with a Rhode Island accent and the company name is actually meant to be Sure?

Edit: I'm thinking Teddy Roosevelt...

Edit: I'm thinking Franklin Roosevelt aww just fugheddaboutit

Actually it's Don B. Sue Shure.

May 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #216 of 3,218
Quote:
It's how much they make for each one sold.
wink.gif

LOL. They'd have to have their own sweat-shop to make $846 profit out of $1000. And next week on 60 Minutes....

I'd be curious to know how many, for example, 535s are sold yearly. I live in a mid-size southern U.S. city with a metro population of over a million people and I've never seen another person with a Shure earphone. I've been on the lookout for a fellow Shure owner for 9 years now.

They use to carry a couple of Shure earphones in the Apple Store, Best Buy, (at one time) CompUSA (now defunct), and I believe Circuit City (also closed). Now, you can only get them locally at the airport.

I'm reluctant to believe R&D is a major expense that would double the price of this IEM. I can't help but think R&D is just a couple of guys on payroll anyway. What the heck are they researching? They don't make the drivers. I mean, c'mon, the guy who makes (arguably) “the best” of these UIEMs (TG!334) is a dentist, right?

I don't think Shure is price gouging, but some of what makes good sound in an IEM market is borne of goodwill (you know, attitude is altitude....). I mean, even as I returned the IQ, I somehow want to believe it is/was superior on some level and I just didn't have the right source to bring it out. It's hard for me to say it wasn't great because it cost $900.

May 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #217 of 3,218
I love all the replies that state a custom monitor is worth the extra money just because they are more labor intensive. I'll give them that, but I will not agree that it makes them superior in any other manner automatically. I really like that Shure is thinking outside the box on these. It's unfortunate that people think mass produced items are somehow inferior to a custom product. I don't see the same complaint with iPhones  
size]

May 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #218 of 3,218
Quote:
LOL. They'd have to have their own sweat-shop to make $846 profit out of $1000. And next week on 60 Minutes....

I'd be curious to know how many, for example, 535s are sold yearly. I live in a mid-size southern U.S. city with a metro population of over a million people and I've never seen another person with a Shure earphone. I've been on the lookout for a fellow Shure owner for 9 years now.

They use to carry a couple of Shure earphones in the Apple Store, Best Buy, (at one time) CompUSA (now defunct), and I believe Circuit City (also closed). Now, you can only get them locally at the airport.

I'm reluctant to believe R&D is a major expense that would double the price of this IEM. I can't help but think R&D is just a couple of guys on payroll anyway. What the heck are they researching? They don't make the drivers. I mean, c'mon, the guy who makes (arguably) “the best” of these UIEMs (TG!334) is a dentist, right?

I don't think Shure is price gouging, but some of what makes good sound in an IEM market is borne of goodwill (you know, attitude is altitude....). I mean, even as I returned the IQ, I somehow want to believe it is/was superior on some level and I just didn't have the right source to bring it out. It's hard for me to say it wasn't great because it cost $900.

IEMs, BAs in general too, are very sensitive when it comes to sound.  The smallest change somewhere can cause the biggest change somewhere else.  This assumes a single driver.  If you quadruple it, the task becomes that much harder.  Anything can impact the sound, from the materials the sound will travel through, the tubes used, any porting whatsoever, ect.  It all plays a huge roll in the way the IEM will end up sounding.  Make something too big, and you mess things up.  Make it too small, you mess it up.  Finding that area of error takes quite a bit of work, you'd be surprised. 

May 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #222 of 3,218

Is Mr. Shure what 112 years old since the company was founded 88 years ago? I question the claim that they cost $1.5k as the cost per unit is dependent on sales and any projection of sales at this point would be pure speculation.

Also, I believe R&D is amortized over a 10 year period so that would make the R&D cost enormous.

May 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #223 of 3,218
Quote:
Is Mr. Shure what 112 years old since the company was founded 88 years ago? I question the claim that they cost $1.5k as the cost per unit is dependent on sales and any projection of sales at this point would be pure speculation.

Also, I believe R&D is amortized over a 10 year period so that would make the R&D cost enormous.

Satire. Please.

May 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #225 of 3,218
Quote:
I love all the replies that state a custom monitor is worth the extra money just because they are more labor intensive. I'll give them that, but I will not agree that it makes them superior in any other manner automatically. I really like that Shure is thinking outside the box on these. It's unfortunate that people think mass produced items are somehow inferior to a custom product. I don't see the same complaint with iPhones  
size]

All other things being equal, mass-produced should be cheaper than custom-made.  That's the entire point of mass production.  Now, if the sound quality is really that much better then it might be understandable... but if it isn't, it's harder to justify.  This still remains to be seen.

The other major factor is comfort and fit, both of which are usually better with a properly-made (operative words there) set of customs.  At $1K+ for an object design to be inserted into your body, comfort and fit should absolutely be a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back