Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #361 of 3,218
It is as simple as that. Thank you.
Sorry - what has principle or ethics got to do with this at all?

Shure is selling a commercial product.  If they believe (and they obviously do - assuming they have put a lot of research into it) that their product is worth X amount (ie has the price:performance ratio to justify the purchase), then where does ethics or principle come into it?

We still have only 2 brief impressions from people who have tried the product.  How can anyone here make sweeping statements on ethics, principle, value or anything else - until:
[a] there are enough subjective impressions to suggest a trend OR
they have heard the IEMs themselves?

Oh - and for the people who are complaining about eventual price - and using a "cost plus" mentality to make the calculation - IMO you really have no idea on commercial marketing (I work for an international company in sales and marketing).  People will pay what they perceive the product is worth.  Shure will have made some serious decisions based on this.  Eventual sales data over time will tell you whether they calculated correctly.

I personally will wait for impressions - and then try to make an informed decision.  If my perception is that the quality matches the price point, and I can afford them - I'll buy them.  If not - I won't.

May 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #363 of 3,218
Wow what happened to this thread?

Blah blah $1000 is too expensive, blah blah customs are superior, blah blah JH13PRO is better.

How about we actually wait until impressions start rolling out before making assumptions. I mean it's not like the price is going to change with all you guys complaining...

May 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #364 of 3,218
Shure-SE846-press-poster.jpg

Okay, I've got impressions and a few photos from Shure's press event in Tokyo up at Ω.

May 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #367 of 3,218
Quote:

No one is forcing you to buy anything.  I wish you econtards would quit derailing the thread with crap posts.

(comes out of the shadows)

Come here dude you sound like you need a nice hug. Why don't you tag along and maybe help me plant a tree? Afterwards we can sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya My Lord. Come on dude, we would make the ultimate odd couple lets be pals. I'll be Oscar and you can be Felix what do you say?

May 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #368 of 3,218
Quote:

Okay, I've got impressions and a few photos from Shure's press event in Tokyo up at Ω.

Thanks!

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting it, but it seems like you're more impressed by the technology than the sound...

May 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #369 of 3,218
Sound is extremely personal. I'm a typical guy: tech gets under my skin quick. Love it.

I've not written a review: I never do that unless I've had day in and out for three weeks. I've given some impressions based on improper stints at rather poor listening environments.

Now: for its sound signature I'm convinced that you cannot get a more coherent example of that presentation than what the SE846 does.

But I'm an ER4 guy in my soul. Not everyone is. My messiah biscuit is the CK10. I think that people who love the sound of the ToGo!334 will LIVE 846. Love it.

There are many similarities.

And I live both earphones. But when I head out I put on the Grado GR8 or the CK10.

If I ever make a review I will be sure to include proper impressions. What I wrote was based on literally twenty minutes with a fabulous earphone. Getting into the nitty gritty isn't possible (not ethical).

However stating that my preferences are slightly different should be an okay sounding board. I do that all the time.

For instance, when I reviewed the 334 and gave it full marks I made it clear that my preferences are a bit different. However, for its presentation, it is excellent. The SE846 follows very similarly in my mind despite my preferences. I'm merely one listener with my own set of preferences.

May 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #372 of 3,218
Quote:
Sound is extremely personal. I'm a typical guy: tech gets under my skin quick. Love it.

I've not written a review: I never do that unless I've had day in and out for three weeks. I've given some impressions based on improper stints at rather poor listening environments.

Now: for its sound signature I'm convinced that you cannot get a more coherent example of that presentation than what the SE846 does.

But I'm an ER4 guy in my soul. Not everyone is. My messiah biscuit is the CK10. I think that people who love the sound of the ToGo!334 will LIVE 846. Love it.

There are many similarities.

And I live both earphones. But when I head out I put on the Grado GR8 or the CK10.

If I ever make a review I will be sure to include proper impressions. What I wrote was based on literally twenty minutes with a fabulous earphone. Getting into the nitty gritty isn't possible (not ethical).

However stating that my preferences are slightly different should be an okay sounding board. I do that all the time.

For instance, when I reviewed the 334 and gave it full marks I made it clear that my preferences are a bit different. However, for its presentation, it is excellent. The SE846 follows very similarly in my mind despite my preferences. I'm merely one listener with my own set of preferences.

So I take it that the SE846 leans more toward the lower end, like the TG334? I can sense lots of similarities between the 2 in your impression post, do you think the SE846 can stand side by side with the TG334, or even, top it?

May 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #374 of 3,218
Since I have to sit and wait while I get ear impressions I can type a bit. I had a listen to the version with the "balanced" filter with my Pico Power rig and they are very good. The bass amount is fairly typical of IEMs but doesn't bleed at all into the mids or treble. Everything is detailed and clean, like a better 535. They don't have a wide soundstage though, at least as much as I can remember experiencing with some BAs, for example. The FR was close to the JH16 demo I tried after -- fairly flat but with a bit of a bass boost. Very enjoyable and closer to my "perfect" IEM.

May 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #375 of 3,218
Shigzeo, so does the SE846's treble roll off earlier than the ER4?

Like I said, it isn't the same reference model as the ER4. There is no large peak in the mid highs like the ER4.

It improves upon the Shure house sound. The E500 impressed me to no end despite my somewhat incompatible preferences. The SE846 is a large improvement over that earphone and its successors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back