Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,486 of 3,218
Quote:

Oh no, I didn't think you were associating truckers with the guy from the movie in a serious manner. I was just expanding the notion for (I suppose) people who didn't get the reference. I apologize. As I re-read what I wrote, It does sound defensive rather than silly. I don't really refuse to drive a tanker. However, I did not apply for the $175,000 a year fuel hauling job in Iraq (during the war).

As for the SE846 looking like a hearing aid to a would-be-robber. I suppose it is possible. I just think most people would be shocked at how much IEMs can cost. I would think most people see IEMs as those speakers that come with your phone or music player. They mostly see them in the store for $19,99. When I told my father how much I paid for my 535 he repeated the question three times and I still don't think he believed me.

This actually worked to my advantage in not having to explain to the wife how much I had spent on these IEMs.... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,487 of 3,218
Quote:

Oh no, I didn't think you were associating truckers with the guy from the movie in a serious manner. I was just expanding the notion for (I suppose) people who didn't get the reference. I apologize. As I re-read what I wrote, It does sound defensive rather than silly. I don't really refuse to drive a tanker. However, I did not apply for the $175,000 a year fuel hauling job in Iraq (during the war).

As for the SE846 looking like a hearing aid to a would-be-robber. I suppose it is possible. I just think most people would be shocked at how much IEMs can cost. I would think most people see IEMs as those speakers that come with your phone or music player. They mostly see them in the store for $19,99. When I told my father how much I paid for my 535 he repeated the question three times and I still don't think he believed me.

And I'm quite sure your father does not use / need a hearing aid!

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,488 of 3,218
Oh, that's a good one, music_4321.
dt880smile.png

My father heard me correctly the first time. Most people I told were taken-aback at the price. I actually thought my father would've been more understanding. He himself is a music enthusiast who decades ago invested in studio equipment. He was also the technology coordinator at the school system before retiring. He knew about expensive headphones just not IEMs.

Edit to add: And everyone assumes a ridiculous markup on medical stuff like hearing aids.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,489 of 3,218
I can't walk around with my HE6. I can't plug my HE6 straight into my iPhone or iPad. Does it sound better, both absolutely and value-wise, than any other IEM I might own in the next 5 years? Probably.

But does my HE6 help me listen to music on the go?

No.

To a lesser extent, it's the same for my JH13. Does it probably sound better than any other universal? No doubt. But is it easy to take in and out to talk to others? Does it completely disappear in my long trans-atlantic flights? 

No.

My quest is simple: find the best SQ in a comfortable universal form. By default, I prefer universals to customs, but of course some universals are more comfortable than others (eg. UM3x). Given that, I'm excited that there's innovation on the universals front now. The distance in SQ between my UM3x and my JH13 has been bigger than I'd hoped, but even then my UM3x still gets much more use. It's not even close.

I'm hoping the SE846 changes all that. The Fitears and 1plus2s and K3003s may have made good candidates too, but hey, I was unplugged from Head-Fi for more than a year now, and when I came back this was the new FOTM. And as I've learnt from being on Head-Fi so long, the best is to go with the excitement of buying the FOTM, then call it a day and get back to the music.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,490 of 3,218
Oh, that's a good one, music_4321.
dt880smile.png

My father heard me correctly the first time. Most people I told were taken-aback at the price. I actually thought my father would've been more understanding. He himself is a music enthusiast who decades ago invested in studio equipment. He was also the technology coordinator at the school system before retiring. He knew about expensive headphones just not IEMs.

Edit to add: And everyone assumes a ridiculous markup on medical stuff like hearing aids.
Well when people ask about my Tera and Spiral Ear Se5 combo, it does seem to render them deaf as well.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,492 of 3,218
Reality all things are over priced as the company needs to make a profit however some like a lot of profit and some little.

While to us 1 unit may seem overpriced, but for a company in this industry its very little and could be just enough to get by.
There are many cost involved including R&D, wages, supplies, fees, bills to create a product. And while the cost of 1 unit might be significantly lower than the retail price, the number of units they sell are significantly low as well. There are very few people who are willing to spend $1000 for just an earphone, lest even $300. In this hobby/industry, they need to mark up the price to earn something.

Unlike companies like Apple where their retail is significantly higher than the cost yet their sales are worldwide and almost like a household item, they are the biggest money grubbing company out there.
Ask 10 people in the streets and I guarantee not even 1 person owns an earphones.more than $100. However probably 5/10 owns an apple product

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,496 of 3,218
i find it hard for robbers to think IEMs or even customs as hearing aid when there's cable connecting the shell to a music player =P
most hearing aids i've seen are wireless and battery operated.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,497 of 3,218
Quote:
i find it hard for robbers to think IEMs or even customs as hearing aid when there's cable connecting the shell to a music player =P
most hearing aids i've seen are wireless and battery operated.

You'd be surprised to learn just how many elderly ladies used to approach me in the past when I used to wear my customs (ES3X), TG334, F111, UM3X, SE530, SE535, W3, UM2 & SM3, and how many people used to give up their seats on the tube, bus or train. When I stopped using my customs (and those universals) and got my K3003s, no-one would give up their seat anymore (really used to love that!), but plenty of very hot babes started noticing me—again—and would do anything to at least strike up a conversation. (Mind you, I must admit I enjoyed those old ladies' conversations a lot more than those I've had with the very hot chicks)

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,498 of 3,218
Quote:

You'd be surprised to learn just how many elderly ladies used to approach me in the past when I use to wear my customs (ES3X), TG334, UM3X, SE530, SE535, W3, SM3 & UM2, and how many people used to give up their seats on the tube, bus or train. When I stopped using my customs (and those universals) and got my K3003s, no-one would give up their seat anymore (really used to love that!), but plenty of very hot babes started noticing me—again—and would do anything to at least strike up a conversation.

Really? Even universals over the ear gets you mistaken?
wow... that never happens to me or anyone i've seen with those type of earphones... i guess my country's citizens are a bunch of selfish pricks =P

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,499 of 3,218
Quote:

You'd be surprised to learn just how many elderly ladies used to approach me in the past when I used to wear my customs (ES3X), TG334, F111, UM3X, SE530, SE535, W3, UM2 & SM3, and how many people used to give up their seats on the tube, bus or train. When I stopped using my customs (and those universals) and got my K3003s, no-one would give up their seat anymore (really used to love that!), but plenty of very hot babes started noticing me—again—and would do anything to at least strike up a conversation. (Mind you, I must admit I enjoyed those old ladies' conversations a lot more than those I've had with the very hot chicks)

I used to get through ticket barriers on the tube, even when I hadn't a ticket. Once/twice someone offered me their seat which is genuinely remarkable considering people around london are in general not nice. Now I have my phonak 232's and all the love has stopped for me too, though I don't quite take advantage of the new situation. If anyone approaches, including hot chicks, I'll rather carry on with my music - the 232's are that good!

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,500 of 3,218
You guys are doing it wrong. I am always nodding my head, tapping my foot or playing air drum solos when I notice people look at my in-ears. Usually, I also hold my PMP openly in my hand so I can check which song is playing (of course I already know) and then make a surprised face with an expression that's supposed to say: "Damn! This **** is gooood~ yo!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back