Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,471 of 3,218
Quote:
Of course! im not trying to say that everyone would think that way.
Many people wont even want to carry a full HP on their heads. But I belive it might be a rather small market, and if thats the case, that just inflates the price unfortunatelly 8(.

Id love to have those Shures or some high end IEMs, but those prices make me want to scream...

Not to rehash the price thing again, but there are IEMs priced from ten dollars to several thousand (and all price points between). No one is being forced to buy the SE846. Customers have plenty of choice options. But I do take your point. And yeah, the pricing is frustrating.

Looking at pictures of the LCD-2 ($1000) and LCD-3 ($2000), it is hard (for me) to imagine what justifies the $1000 price difference. Is it worth screaming about? Probably.... Sometimes we post because our heads don't come with a vent valve. These headphones and IEMs cost more than my stereo speakers.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,472 of 3,218
Quote:

Not to rehash the price thing again, but there are IEMs priced from ten dollars to several thousand (and all price points between). No one is being forced to buy the SE846. Customers have plenty of choice options. But I do take your point. And yeah, the pricing is frustrating.

Looking at pictures of the LCD-2 ($1000) and LCD-3 ($2000), it is hard (for me) to imagine what justifies the $1000 price difference. Is it worth screaming about? Probably.... Sometimes we post because our heads don't come with a vent valve. These headphones and IEMs cost more than my stereo speakers.

Yeah... me 2....

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,474 of 3,218
Quote:

Yeah... me 2....

Not quite that expensive, but honestly, speakers costing less than the Shure 846 are dime a dozen (not price, but availability). Speakers are expensive. You can get decent sounding setups for less than 1000$ but not without an amp. Headphones are cheaper speakers. That's that. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,475 of 3,218

Kinda curious, does say someone honking their horn on the highway go through your IEMs?

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,476 of 3,218
For that kind of price if want planar magnetic IEMs.
Dont get me wrong, those probably sound great, but come on.... 1000 bucks for IEMs? You can get the HE-500 for that and still have some cash left. Hell you could get the LCD-2 for that.

I guess if you already have that then maybe, but if not, can those 1000 IEMs beat a 1000 full hp? Something tells me the answer is probably no.

Well if the Shure's at least match or exceed the AKG K3003, then I'd prefer them to the HE500 and LCD2 hands down.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,477 of 3,218
Well if the Shure's at least match or exceed the AKG K3003, then I'd prefer them to the HE500 and LCD2 hands down.

Well not too big a fans of the k3003, but i do find myself preferring the Fitear TG334 over LCD2, and the Tralucent 1plus2 over the HD700. Not sure if the new Shure can be as good as these top universals but i won't doubt it will be better than many mid range fullsize cans.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,478 of 3,218
Quote:
Kinda curious, does say someone honking their horn on the highway go through your IEMs?

If they are driving along side of me, yes. The vast majority of my driving is on flat-plain highway where I can see (in the elevated seating position) long distances front and back.  I turn the music off in metro areas, but 95% of my driving is on open highway.

But again,  yes, when a couple of crazy chicks pull beside me and blow their horn to flash me, I do hear and see their intent.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,479 of 3,218
If they are driving along side of me, yes. The vast majority of my driving is on flat-plain highway where I can see (in the elevated seating position) long distances front and back.  I turn the music off in metro areas, but 95% of my driving is on open highway.

But again,  yes, when a couple of crazy chicks pull beside me and blow their horn to flash me, I do hear and see their intent.

That's cool. I can't even imagine that kind of view. I'm a sedan driver and the seating position is pretty low.

And I hope that actually happens Lol.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,480 of 3,218
Quote:

Watch out for Thelma & Louise - lol.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,481 of 3,218
Quote:
Watch out for Thelma & Louise - lol.

That stupid trucker (in Thelma & Louise) provoked two gun-toting women and refused to apologize.

• I never provoke other drivers ( well, at least not on purpose).
  • And while I don't believe you can blowup a tanker with a handgun, I don't want to test that theory. So, I refuse to drive a tanker (especially filled with some kind of combustible substance).

Just imagine being robbed at gun-point while having a ($1000) SE846 in your ears. You'll end up handing over your wallet with $25 in it and walking away with the IEM. The robber probably wouldn't believe you if (for some strange reason) you told him how much the IEM cost (or was supposedly worth). He'd probably throw it on the ground and continue to demand cash.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,482 of 3,218
Quote:

Just imagine being robbed at gun-point while having a ($1000) SE846 in your ears. You'll end up handing over your wallet with $25 in it and walking away with the IEM. The robber probably wouldn't believe you if (for some strange reason) you told him how much the IEM cost (or was supposedly worth). He'd probably throw it on the ground and continue to demand cash.

The robber would never take your SE846 because he would think know they are hearing aids.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,483 of 3,218
Quote:

That stupid trucker (in Thelma & Louise) provoked two gun-toting women and refused to apologize.

• I never provoke other drivers ( well, at least not on purpose).
  • And while I don't believe you can blowup a tanker with a handgun, I don't want to test that theory. So, I refuse to drive a tanker (especially filled with some kind of combustible substance).

I hope you know I would never imply that you would be as completely idiotic as the cartoon character in that film - and it was a cartoon (at least I hope) - as for truck drivers, my father in law was a long haul trucker - These beast are big and command respect. You have no idea how congenial they can be when you treat them with a bit of respect.. e.g. don't take the little space in front of them that they need to make a safe stop - or flash your lights to let them know you have cleared a space and they can change lanes - little things that make the driving experience safer for all of us....

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,484 of 3,218
Quote:
I hope you know I would never imply that you would be as completely idiotic as the cartoon character in that film - and it was a cartoon (at least I hope) - as for truck drivers, my father in law was a long haul trucker - These beast are big and command respect. You have no idea how congenial they can be when you treat them with a bit of respect.. e.g. don't take the little space in front of them that they need to make a safe stop - or flash your lights to let them know you have cleared a space and they can change lanes - little things that make the driving experience safer for all of us....

Oh no, I didn't think you were associating truckers with the guy from the movie in a serious manner. I was just expanding the notion for (I suppose) people who didn't get the reference. I apologize. As I re-read what I wrote, It does sound defensive rather than silly. I don't really refuse to drive a tanker. However, I did not apply for the $175,000 a year fuel hauling job in Iraq (during the war).

As for the SE846 looking like a hearing aid to a would-be-robber. I suppose it is possible. I just think most people would be shocked at how much IEMs can cost. I would think most people see IEMs as those speakers that come with your phone or music player. They mostly see them in the store for $19,99. When I told my father how much I paid for my 535 he repeated the question three times and I still don't think he believed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back