Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,851 of 4,022
Excessive earwax (that sometimes hardens) and debris can be washed out of the ear (either in the shower or with one of those bubble-syringes used to blow water into the ear that comes with most ear cleaning kits).

With bass heavy Rap and Hip-Hop, I can say I prefer the 846. However, with most of my music (where vocals are more important), I still prefer the 535 (at least with my current source). I'll see how it goes once I “upgrade” my portable source.

I am surprised you feel that way Truck having owned the 535 for a year and now the 846 for three weeks. I find the 535 a bit hollow sounding compared to the 846. I listen to everything from Prog Rock to symphonic and the clarity and the depth of the 846 far exceeds my 535. I loved my 535 up until the moment I started listning to the 846. The 535 is like a beautiful house without a basement and until I heard the 846 I never realized what I was missing. I felt like Spyro that the 535 had pleanty of bass until the 846.

I also thought the 535 had the best midrange in a universal IEM. I remember reading a comment by Flavio at Earphone Solutions that after listning to the 846 he found the 535 midrange fatiguing at times especially with female vocals. Now again I loved the 535 midrange but after listning to the 846 for three weeks I have to agree with Flavio.

My advice Truck instead of upgrading your portable source look into a balanced amplifier. Ray Samuels Protector balanced amp was the biggest improvement to 535 sound and now my 846. Your preference for the Galaxy 4 over the iPhone 5 may be because of the extremely low input impedance of the 846 (9ohm I believe). An amp changes all that because it becomes the output impedance of the amp that matters not the source.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,852 of 4,022

With bass heavy Rap and Hip-Hop, I can say I prefer the 846. However, with most of my music (where vocals are more important), I still prefer the 535 (at least with my current source). I'll see how it goes once I “upgrade” my portable source.

I think this is understandable and makes sense.  When we add "lower end" to any presentation it can have a tendency to hurt the resolution and transparency on the mids.  But it also comes down to preference too.  When I had JH13 and JH16, the JH13 had little to no midbass and, as a result, portrayed INSANE amounts of transparency and detail across the mids.  But it was waay more than I needed.  I still preferred the bassier JH16.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,853 of 4,022
I am surprised you feel that way Truck having owned the 535 for a year and now the 846 for three weeks. I find the 535 a bit hollow sounding compared to the 846. I listen to everything from Prog Rock to symphonic and the clarity and the depth of the 846 far exceeds my 535. I loved my 535 up until the moment I started listning to the 846. The 535 is like a beautiful house without a basement and until I heard the 846 I never realized what I was missing. I felt like Spyro that the 535 had pleanty of bass until the 846.

I also thought the 535 had the best midrange in a universal IEM. I remember reading a comment by Flavio at Earphone Solutions that after listning to the 846 he found the 535 midrange fatiguing at times especially with female vocals. Now again I loved the 535 midrange but after listning to the 846 for three weeks I have to agree with Flavio.

My advice Truck instead of upgrading your portable source look into a balanced amplifier. Ray Samuels Protector balanced amp was the biggest improvement to 535 sound and now my 846. Your preference for the Galaxy 4 over the iPhone 5 may be because of the extremely low input impedance of the 846 (9ohm I believe). An amp changes all that because it becomes the output impedance of the amp that matters not the source.

I appreciate the advice Spook, thanks. And yes, I am hoping "the problem" (if there is a problem) is due to the higher output impedance of the S2. I mean, it sounds good with a slightly rounder more “solid” note, but the 535 sounds more lively (more transparent even) with isolating tips (which is good at low volume). Neither of my headphone amps have made a difference. They only make it louder. Admittedly, I don't have great headphone amps.

It is still early yet in my audition/evaluation of the 846. I am still trying to find isolating tips that will yield a more open sound. I sure hope I don't have to purchase another headphone amp for an IEM. I only use my S2 at 1/3 volume for most songs. Plus, (with the 846) I have to turn the bass down ¼ from where is was for the 535. It is definitely bassier. However, so is my IE8, but when I switch back to the 535 the adjustment only takes a minute. The 535 doesn't punch as hard but it punches hard enough. As I've stated previously, the 535 bass is good for most of my music. I don't know yet whether the 10% that the 846 does better is worth $1000.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,854 of 4,022
Understandable Truck at $1,000 you have every right to be fully satisfied.

As for tips, have you tried the Westone Star Tips. I find them as isolating as Comply form, the most comfortable of all and a much more spacious natural sound. Previous to my Star Tips, I tried all of the stock Shure tips, all of the Comply form tips and the EarPortz tips. At $15 for the entire assortment pack from Westone it is not a large investment.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,855 of 4,022
Anyone has success with amping a Shure SE535? On my Apogee One I get some noise at volume all the way down. It seems to be isolated to the Shure SE535.

My Shure SRH 1840 has zero problems with the Apogee One. 

The Shure SE535 sounds alot better with the Apogee One though. Normally my Shure SE535 sounds a bit dark and a bit muddy. When it's driven from the Apogee One, it sounds more clear and more open for some strange reason :) Too bad I have hiss at low volume.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,857 of 4,022
  Anyone has success with amping a Shure SE535? On my Apogee One I get some noise at volume all the way down. It seems to be isolated to the Shure SE535.

The Shure SE535 sounds alot better with the Apogee One though. Normally my Shure SE535 sounds a bit dark and a bit muddy. When it's driven from the Apogee One, it sounds more clear and more open for some strange reason :) Too bad I have hiss at low volume.

You should try portable amps or amps designed for low impedance hps. SE535 is very sensitive to hissing. I had success with SE535 and Leckerton UHA-6S,MKII. No hiss and clearer sound.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,859 of 4,022

Have used mine with a variety of portables (Arrow, Practical Devices, etc.) and no issues...

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,861 of 4,022
I'm in the market for new cables for my 535's. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good cables to get. Preferably under $60

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,862 of 4,022
I'm in the market for new cables for my 535's. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good cables to get. Preferably under $60

The ue900 is a nice replacement cable. Budget is kinda limited so spc or silver really isnt in the question.

If you happen to bump your budget check out ted's headfood or btg audio both are excellent for the price

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,863 of 4,022
I had zero hiss amping my 535 with a RSA Protector. I had a hiss with a Fiio E11 but the Protector was totally black with no hiss.
my continental v3 is totally black too with the 535.. Some peoplehave said other wise with this amp.. Maybe I'm just getting old lol but I don't hear nothing.... But with my Heir 4ai's I can hear some hiss at low levels.. I think they are way more sensitive though... Plus with them if I touch the amp or hit it ever so softly I can hear it quit a bit... Maybe it's because of the amp being a tube amp...

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,864 of 4,022

I agree with Mooses try Ted at Headphone Lounge. For a little over your budget $90-100 you can get a great OCC silver coated copper cable that will make a material sonic improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back