Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,836 of 4,022
How would you describe the treble of the SE846 in terms of clarity, details and extension, now that you've put more hours into it?

As some consider the SE535 lacking in these areas, I was hoping the SE846 might have improved a bit here. I listen to a lot of classical music, specifically piano and string ensembles. My ears are very sensitive to sibilance and treble peaks, so I'm looking for a non-fatiguing treble response while still retaining as much clarity, details and extension as possible.

I think the 846's clarity (across the board) is the best I've heard (in my very limited experience).

Treble is a tricky subject. I like the treble of my 535 but not until well over 300 hours. I replaced the left earpiece and it took nearly 500 hours to balance out with the right earpiece of the my 535.

Then there is choosing the right tips. For several years, I've preferred a hybrid triple-flange/foam tip. There aren't any spikes and I like the sparkle ( but it come down to preference).

I think the extension is good on the 846. Overall, I think the treble will improve in the next couple of hundred hours. However, treble is not front and center with the balanced filter. I'll let you know more when I try the treble filter.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,838 of 4,022
  nope, i got se215, and se535, the body of 215 is 10mm high and 535 11mm behind the nozzle. And the nozzle angle is different after switching from se215 to se535, se535 didn't feel that good in the ear the nizzle goes little more up. but i ques if the tip is molded for 535 it will fit se215 in it since the body is smaller. And the new se846 has a bigger body than 535, based on comparison pics, it also has that little bulge in the the start of the nozzle, the screw for changing dampers.

But all of these do share the same nozzle diameter. :)

[Sorry for the delayed response...]

Hmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of the SE215 being at variance with the others. Sensaphonics hasn't had any specific complaints about 215 sleeves not fitting the 315-425-535, but I can't document whether the question has been addressed.

The 846 is significantly bigger than the others. Wide enough that a silicone sleeve will stick out noticeably by comparison.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,839 of 4,022

I admit for certain genre, the SE535 is better than my JH13, because they're an expert or master of mids.. if you prefer that signature then yes perhaps the 846 is worth a try (I haven't heard them so cannot comment).  You may also benefit from certain amps with bass boost (like my Arrow) or with EQ apps.  The amount of bass was just right for me when I used bass boost 1 on the Arrow with SE535.  Still tight and not bloated, just right (boost 2 was too much and bloated).

Just FYI with JH13 I don't need bass boost.

I plan on getting custom IEM's when I get some time. Probably after this semester of college. Will definitely get JH13. I'm happy with the SE-535 for now. But I know the JH IEMs are loved. Definitely interested. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,840 of 4,022

I admit for certain genre, the SE535 is better than my JH13, because they're an expert or master of mids.. if you prefer that signature then yes perhaps the 846 is worth a try (I haven't heard them so cannot comment).  You may also benefit from certain amps with bass boost (like my Arrow) or with EQ apps.  The amount of bass was just right for me when I used bass boost 1 on the Arrow with SE535.  Still tight and not bloated, just right (boost 2 was too much and bloated).

Just FYI with JH13 I don't need bass boost.

Just wanted to second the comment about the Arrow amp (3G) and the Shure SE535's ...

I've used Shure SE530's and then SE535's for longer than I can remember now ... five or six years? And hands down, the Arrow 3G amp, with the #1 bass boost setting, has produced by far the best bass with the 535's that I've ever heard. No other amp, or eq or otherwise has matched it.

I specify Arrow 3G as with the following iterations of the Arrow amp (4G, 4T, etc.), the designer changed the hardware bass boost circuit to one that is a bit more smooth and with less snap and tautness of the 3G Arrow; many persons, for that reason, still prefer the 3G.

But again, it's almost like it was made specifically for the SE535's; it's a perfect tonal bass quality for the Shures and I highly recommend you try it if you have an opportunity.

That said, since Headstage has released the new 4th generation Arrows, they are offering refurbed Arrow 3G's for some ridiculously low price like 165.00 or something (typical arrow is 300.00). The site is currently down for some reason but check back occasionally as 165 bucks for a Arrow 3G is probably the best deal in portable amps currently available anywhere.

Here's a link to their (currently down) page ... I think they had some issues with Haxor(tm) and look for the site to be back up in short: 

http://www.headstage.com

I am only the messenger....

.joel

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #2,841 of 4,022
It might just be a mental thing, but I've found that my SE-535s have really mellowed out after having for 2 weeks. I mean that in a good way. I don't hear any harshness, or shrillness in the highs that I heard when I first have them. I just love the overall sound signature on these. Kind of weird seeing so many people drop these, and go for something else. Even though it's irrational, that kind of thing always makes me want to consider going for something else (the grass is greener on the other side syndrome). But I'm happy with these, and am just going to stick with them. I'll wait until next year before I get another IEM.  

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2,842 of 4,022
It might just be a mental thing, but I've found that my SE-535s have really mellowed out after having for 2 weeks. I mean that in a good way. I don't hear any harshness, or shrillness in the highs that I heard when I first have them. I just love the overall sound signature on these. Kind of weird seeing so many people drop these, and go for something else. Even though it's irrational, that kind of thing always makes me want to consider going for something else (the grass is greener on the other side syndrome). But I'm happy with these, and am just going to stick with them. I'll wait until next year before I get another IEM.  

Well this hobby there is always something better and its hard to not want to upgrade. Upgraditis is terrible.

You might be getting brain burn in. More or less getting used to the sound signature of a particular iem.

I think people change iems alot. But I think that some people get upgraditis of the iem or upgraditis of cables and interconnects or upgraditis of dacs and amps

Personally I have stayed with one iem BUT have been going nuts with upgrading everything else lol.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2,843 of 4,022
Or perhaps people are not getting a great fit in their ear which really messes up the sound a lot.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,844 of 4,022
Its just about wanting to change the sound occasionally. I love SE535 and W3 but they sound very different. After a couple months straight with either its refreshing to change back to the other and vice versa.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,846 of 4,022
Its just about wanting to change the sound occasionally. I love SE535 and W3 but they sound very different. After a couple months straight with either its refreshing to change back to the other and vice versa.

you could always roll opamps and change it up a bit, its a little cheaper than going from iem to iem, imo fun too.

i found when i had the 535's opamp rolling gave them a little bit more room for improvement and changed up the sound some so it didnt get boring or fatigued with that mid forward sound

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,847 of 4,022

[Sorry for the delayed response...]

Hmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of the SE215 being at variance with the others. Sensaphonics hasn't had any specific complaints about 215 sleeves not fitting the 315-425-535, but I can't document whether the question has been addressed.

The 846 is significantly bigger than the others. Wide enough that a silicone sleeve will stick out noticeably by comparison.

I can tell you that my 535 sleeves fit my 215s.  I don't have experience with the other direction, but I can't imagine it'd be too different.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,848 of 4,022
  Can the Shure Olive tips (the default black tips) leave parts of the tip in your ear due to wear? 

Bump. I'm currently using the yellow foam because I'm worried the olives might leave parts in my ear due to wear :p

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,849 of 4,022
I think you are over-thinking this. You would change tips long before they got to that point. Not that I have ever heard of any tips disintegrating even when they were faded from many months usage. If you are concerned then use silicone tips or triple-flange sleeves

Have you considered changing to on-ear headphones. Not everyone gets on with IEM and it is not a mandatory rule that you have to

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,850 of 4,022
Excessive earwax (that sometimes hardens) and debris can be washed out of the ear (either in the shower or with one of those bubble-syringes used to blow water into the ear that comes with most ear cleaning kits).

With bass heavy Rap and Hip-Hop, I can say I prefer the 846. However, with most of my music (where vocals are more important), I still prefer the 535 (at least with my current source). I'll see how it goes once I “upgrade” my portable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back