Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,936 of 4,022

In that case they should go into the construction business due to the build of their housing. 
Quote:
Even aside from the cable, I thought the build quality of the housing itself was pretty good. Shrugs. lol. I'm shure the sures are better though. <-- heh heh heh....  ok. I'll stop now.

Quote:
the puns... they hurt...... and not due to laughter....

I used to have the IE8s. They're very good earphones, yes. They just do not have the signature that I like. They have huge (in my opinion overpowering) bass, even with the knob turned all the way to closed. They also have recessed mids which, combined with the bass, is where that veil comes comes from. I couldn't stand the recessed mids. The vocals just weren't there. In my opinion, I felt the highs were their strength. Incredibly smooth yet extended, in a way that I haven't really heard from a balanced armature earphone. They also had an incredible soundstage, which is expected as they are basically an open earphone (the bass knob is basically a hole), a.k.a. no isolation. They're still very good earphones, just not for me, especially at that price and iffy build quality (minus the awesome cable).

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,937 of 4,022
From what I've seen, Earphone Solution, ZZSound and Sam Ash will all do $389 for the SE535. I've received that quote from all of them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered my set of SE535 in bronze. Can't wait to get them. :D

Who did you end up ordering from? Good deal?

I ended up picking them up from earphonesolutions.com for $389 shipped. How much did you get yours for at Sam Ash?

which company ad did you price match from? D:

thanks

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,938 of 4,022

Quote:
From what I've seen, Earphone Solution, ZZSound and Sam Ash will all do $389 for the SE535. I've received that quote from all of them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up picking them up from earphonesolutions.com for $389 shipped. How much did you get yours for at Sam Ash?

which company ad did you price match from? D:

thanks

hmm... i tried to PM something from a canadian authorized dealer thats $429.99. they would only give me the p15 coupon that made it 425 =_=

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,939 of 4,022
been listening to these for the past 7 - 8 weeks now and have to say that I absolutely love almost every aspect of them. soundstage is wide/detailed and very dynamic. spectrum is fairly well balanced for my tastes (which includes classical/baroque to adult alt, grunge, and garage rock/blues) and I love the way vocals are presented. one downside is the cable microphonics which I find to be pretty high when compared to the ES cable from Westone. anyone have any thoughts on modding the ES cable to make it shure SE compatible?

for what it's worth, another downside is that it makes me realize that the sound quality of my iPod (Video 5.5G) is not quite so good despite using ALAC. my reference points are the UE SF5Pro (which did not reveal the lack of detail & dynamic on the iPod) and a 90's vintage pair of DT990s which I listen to using the headphone out on my Pioneer Elite PD-91 CD player (90's vintage too). over the next while, i'll be doing some A/B listening between the two sets (Shure 535 and DT990s) on this source but my initial impression of listening to the 535 on the PD-91 is "wow!"

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,940 of 4,022
I received my SE535's today. Big thumbs up to earphonessolutions.com for the quick delivery. I placed my order on Monday, they shipped out the same day, and I received them today (Wednesday), so it only took 2 days to get to California from Florida. :D

Upon a quick listen, I honestly don't know what to make of them. They sound really warm to me. I wouldn't say anything is recessed, or veiled, but it just sounds warm. I'm guessing it's probably due to the fact that I've been listening to my Grado RS1i's every night for the past couple weeks. I'm going to spend a few days listening to these exclusively, and see if I can get used to the sound signature.

Another quick note: I'm actually really liking the cable. It feels sturdy, and I may be in the minority, but I like the memory wire portion that goes over the ears. My only gripe is that the carry case that came with the IEM's seems to be a little defective... The way the zipper is attached to the case is crooked so the case doesn't close quite correctly.

edit: Another thumbs up to earphonesolutions.com, because I just emailed them asking if there's anything they can do for me, and they're sending me a new case. :)

edit 2: Wow there's alot of hiss coming from my laptop through these. There's still a bit of hiss even when plugged through my HeadStage Arrow, which none of my other IEM's ever have. lol.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,941 of 4,022

Quote:

Bronze get a better bass response sounding and the black cable is more flexible than the clear one (IMO).
lol :) you'll love it!

wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,942 of 4,022
Good thing about upgrading to better, higher grade phones, but, do you really know about what they do with your (all) returned phones?
(IMO) They repack and re-sales to your neighbor or maybe your best friends. U never know. They not (can't) always ship back to company.  
Only bc the clients don't like the color, the fit, or the sound signatures or any other reasons. Often, the cie refuse to get back.

Must be careful about purchase, or what u receive by mail... is it brand new, or... refurbish? U never know, sometime hard to tell.
U make a deal, but, they also make a better one!  (IMO)

I have a neighbor one day, who where going buying an expensive wireless wi-fi mouse. Returned home, he drop on the floor. 
His new mouse was then Dead. He returned again to the same store buying the SAME mouse.
The next day, he returned to the store for a complete (no questions ask) refund!
Mention to the clerk, that he don't like the mouse anymore (finding any reasons, using imagination)
I let u imagine what that guy do with his damaged one!!!!!
lol :)

Take care guys

wink_face.gif

Quote:
I can't wait to get them! Its crazy waiting.There are few things more exciting that a new pair of earphones. The only other really good mid earphones I've had were the IE7, and I think in ways, they might be the most satisfying earphone I've had for all genres. I really hope that the SE535 will do all genres well. 

The nice thing about EarphoneSolutions is that if you hate them you can upgrade to the W4, just paying the additional shipping cost and upgrade cost. I almost ordered from them for that reason!

Quote:
Ohh, I see. Yeah, I bet if I tried a bit harder, I could've saved some more money, because earphone solutions said yes to my price almost instantly. lol. But I don't mind paying a little more.

Sometimes I don't like to push people to sell things to me at cost, or with barely any profit, because I'm sure they have to feed their families too. That and I already had the mindset that I would purchase them as long as I could get them for less than $400 shipped. lol. 

Quote:
I ended up at $385. I wonder how long you can go back and forth w/ quotes from authorized dealers! I was quoted by an authorized dealer that their cost is $361. So maybe someone would have gone a little lower, but I was starting to feel like a jerk asking! 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,943 of 4,022

Quote:

Hi,
Does anyone know when a sale is coming up for any of these headphones?
It doesn't really matter which site but I'd prefer EarphoneSolutions.
I know they've had great coupons for the SE535's but I can't seem to find one.
(I've tried to contact them but they never responded.)
So if anyone could tell me the next opportunity I have to spend around $400
for the Shure's on any of these sites, please tell me.
THANKS,
A1811

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,944 of 4,022
I found the memory wire on the clear Se535 pretty uncomfortable with glasses. Is the black wire on the bronze any different?

Also, are there any high quality/but affordable replaceable wire options that don't have the memory wire? I'm not looking to improve the sound; just to not change it while also getting rid of the memory wire!

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,945 of 4,022

Quote:
I found the memory wire on the clear Se535 pretty uncomfortable with glasses. Is the black wire on the bronze any different?

Also, are there any high quality/but affordable replaceable wire options that don't have the memory wire? I'm not looking to improve the sound; just to not change it while also getting rid of the memory wire!

I don't wear glasses so I wouldn't know to be honest. However I did have the two cables previously, and there isn't much difference. It just feels like the black cable is exactly like the clear cable with a black plastic material over it. The memory wire on the black cable is also grey in color and similar in thickness as the clear one.

I don't believe I have seen any other replacement cables for the 535/425s except the stock Shure one.
This one doesn't seem to have memory wire but I don't know if it's your cup of tea: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/music-mobile/m-mplus-cables

Good luck to you though and please share if you find any solutions
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,946 of 4,022

Quote:

Same cable material? Having both (SE535v / SE425cl), I noticed that the black cable from my 535 is more flexible than the clear cable of my 425. Also, cables options from Shure, are all memory wire.  You have to be patient, let the cable used to your ears. One day you will feel less the presence of wires on your ears.  waiting for the wires get used to your ears.
Am not wearing glasses, sunglasses only, this not an issue for me. Am about 85% sure that plastic material used in SE535v black cable, are different from the clear one.
Little more stiff! Have recently order (EAC64CL) spare cable from Shure. Have comparing both, clear are stiffer! Black is a best bet! ...imo!
High quality is rarely affordable! Quality have a prize! No memorie less cable options available for Shure IEM at the moment.
U can damage ur cable if u attempt to remove the memwire. Am shure, that if u listen some good tunez with ur new 535, u will forget about ur wire issues! lol. good luck!
voilà!

wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,947 of 4,022

Quote:
Good thing about upgrading to better, higher grade phones, but, do you really know about what they do with your (all) returned phones?
(IMO) They repack and re-sales to your neighbor or maybe your best friends. U never know. They not (can't) always ship back to company.  
Only bc the clients don't like the color, the fit, or the sound signatures or any other reasons. Often, the cie refuse to get back.

Must be careful about purchase, or what u receive by mail... is it brand new, or... refurbish? U never know, sometime hard to tell.
U make a deal, but, they also make a better one!  (IMO)

I have a neighbor one day, who where going buying an expensive wireless wi-fi mouse. Returned home, he drop on the floor. 
His new mouse was then Dead. He returned again to the same store buying the SAME mouse.
The next day, he returned to the store for a complete (no questions ask) refund!
Mention to the clerk, that he don't like the mouse anymore (finding any reasons, using imagination)
I let u imagine what that guy do with his damaged one!!!!!
lol :)

Take care guys

wink_face.gif

So the shop that was unaware is the bad guy here?

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,948 of 4,022
Mar 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,949 of 4,022
Heads up for the uk headfiers. Advancedmp3players have a 10% off all shure headphones if you give them a 'like' on facebook.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #1,950 of 4,022
cheers david - had a listen to these (and loads more) in their 'store' on sunday - picked up a pair of the bronze E535's for £315 yesterday. can't wait for them to arrive tomorrow and plug into my headphone amp to get a real test.

only downside is that I'm upgrading from the e3c's and my ACS custom molds don't fit the 535 body. anybody any tips on reshaping them? or is it a case of having to buy new custom molds again?

cheers
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back