Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,921 of 4,022

Quote:
BTW, what can i do with my current 530? the drivers are working fine, just that the cable connections are giving way. such a waste to dump them away.

If the only issue is cabling, re-cabling or re-shell them !
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,925 of 4,022

I ended up at $385. I wonder how long you can go back and forth w/ quotes from authorized dealers! I was quoted by an authorized dealer that their cost is $361. So maybe someone would have gone a little lower, but I was starting to feel like a jerk asking! 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered my set of SE535 in bronze. Can't wait to get them. :D

Who did you end up ordering from? Good deal?

I ended up picking them up from earphonesolutions.com for $389 shipped. How much did you get yours for at Sam Ash?

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,926 of 4,022
Ohh, I see. Yeah, I bet if I tried a bit harder, I could've saved some more money, because earphone solutions said yes to my price almost instantly. lol. But I don't mind paying a little more.

Sometimes I don't like to push people to sell things to me at cost, or with barely any profit, because I'm sure they have to feed their families too. That and I already had the mindset that I would purchase them as long as I could get them for less than $400 shipped. lol. 

Quote:
I ended up at $385. I wonder how long you can go back and forth w/ quotes from authorized dealers! I was quoted by an authorized dealer that their cost is $361. So maybe someone would have gone a little lower, but I was starting to feel like a jerk asking! 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up picking them up from earphonesolutions.com for $389 shipped. How much did you get yours for at Sam Ash?

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #1,927 of 4,022
I can't wait to get them! Its crazy waiting.There are few things more exciting that a new pair of earphones. The only other really good mid earphones I've had were the IE7, and I think in ways, they might be the most satisfying earphone I've had for all genres. I really hope that the SE535 will do all genres well. 

The nice thing about EarphoneSolutions is that if you hate them you can upgrade to the W4, just paying the additional shipping cost and upgrade cost. I almost ordered from them for that reason!

Quote:
Ohh, I see. Yeah, I bet if I tried a bit harder, I could've saved some more money, because earphone solutions said yes to my price almost instantly. lol. But I don't mind paying a little more.

Sometimes I don't like to push people to sell things to me at cost, or with barely any profit, because I'm sure they have to feed their families too. That and I already had the mindset that I would purchase them as long as I could get them for less than $400 shipped. lol. 

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,928 of 4,022
Seriously! I know how you feel. Also, mids are very very VERY important to me as well, which is why I wanted the SE535. My other choice was the UM3X, which people say have really forward mids, and it almost feels like you're on stage with the band, which is how I would describe the Grado sound, and I like the Grado sound signature very much. 

Also, if the SE535's don't work out for me, I'm pretty sure I will be switching to the Westone 4. :D

Quote:
I can't wait to get them! Its crazy waiting.There are few things more exciting that a new pair of earphones. The only other really good mid earphones I've had were the IE7, and I think in ways, they might be the most satisfying earphone I've had for all genres. I really hope that the SE535 will do all genres well. 

The nice thing about EarphoneSolutions is that if you hate them you can upgrade to the W4, just paying the additional shipping cost and upgrade cost. I almost ordered from them for that reason!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,929 of 4,022
I've owned the UM3X. It really is a stage monitor. It's instrument separation is fantastic and its overall really good, but I had a couple problems with it: its bass to me was bloated and it is kind of boring (again, to me), which is probably good for a stage monitor. I'm not sure that its a lack of color; the UM3X still feels colored compared to the ER4P. But I didn't feel like it did anything exceptional for my ears. In my opinion, the mids were more predominantly forward than they were quality. An overall great iem, but the only one I've owned that I found not to shine in any genre at all! I ended up selling it just because I wanted an earphone that did more things really well than instrument separation. Here's hoping for the SE535. I think the reports of minor tweaks over the SE530 in sound quality are promising; I did listen to the SE530 for a couple minutes once, but didn't like it because its lack of soundstage. It was a song that really benefits from soundstage though. I'm so curious to run the SE535 through the tests! But if it doesn't work for me, it'll probably be the W4 for me.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,930 of 4,022
^ I recently sold my pair of Sennheiser IE8's because I was tired of the veil, and the bass. It actually seems like we like the same sort of sound signature, so it looks like we're going to be buying and selling IEMs together. lol. :D

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,931 of 4,022
Seems like Sennheiser should get into making wedding dresses, because it appears they like making "veil" 
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,932 of 4,022

Quote:
Seems like Sennheiser should get into making wedding dresses, because it appears they like making "veil" 
tongue.gif

There is no emoticon to express my reaction to this... but this one comes pretty close... 
blink.gif

haha. Seriously though, when I first got the IE8's, I loved them. That was until I got used to the Audio-Technica sound signature with the forward mids, and the Grado sound. Even after the HD650's... when i went back to the IE8's, I couldn't stand them, and stopped using them all together, which resulted in me selling the IE8's. I hope these SE535's will be what I want... from the reviews in this thread, they Shure seem like they do! (you see what I did there? heh heh heh...) :)

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #1,933 of 4,022
the puns... they hurt...... and not due to laughter....

I used to have the IE8s. They're very good earphones, yes. They just do not have the signature that I like. They have huge (in my opinion overpowering) bass, even with the knob turned all the way to closed. They also have recessed mids which, combined with the bass, is where that veil comes comes from. I couldn't stand the recessed mids. The vocals just weren't there. In my opinion, I felt the highs were their strength. Incredibly smooth yet extended, in a way that I haven't really heard from a balanced armature earphone. They also had an incredible soundstage, which is expected as they are basically an open earphone (the bass knob is basically a hole), a.k.a. no isolation. They're still very good earphones, just not for me, especially at that price and iffy build quality (minus the awesome cable).

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,934 of 4,022
Even aside from the cable, I thought the build quality of the housing itself was pretty good. Shrugs. lol. I'm shure the sures are better though. <-- heh heh heh....  ok. I'll stop now.

Quote:
the puns... they hurt...... and not due to laughter....

I used to have the IE8s. They're very good earphones, yes. They just do not have the signature that I like. They have huge (in my opinion overpowering) bass, even with the knob turned all the way to closed. They also have recessed mids which, combined with the bass, is where that veil comes comes from. I couldn't stand the recessed mids. The vocals just weren't there. In my opinion, I felt the highs were their strength. Incredibly smooth yet extended, in a way that I haven't really heard from a balanced armature earphone. They also had an incredible soundstage, which is expected as they are basically an open earphone (the bass knob is basically a hole), a.k.a. no isolation. They're still very good earphones, just not for me, especially at that price and iffy build quality (minus the awesome cable).

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,935 of 4,022

Users who are viewing this thread

Back