Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,591 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Dr. Webster!  This forum is really nice where people like yourself can help a person out.  If I could ask, wouldn't putting the phones into the freezer cause some future damage to the unit?  That just sounds pretty extreme.  I haven't read much about this being an issue with other phones, just seems to show up on Shure forums.  Thanks again for your response.

The idea to put them in the freezer was first offered by a Shure Support tech. They hopefully wouldn't suggest it if they thought it would damage their product.

Yeah, I don't think it's terribly extreme provided you take the proper precautions and let them warm up fully again before using them. All sorts of products you buy, including electronics, can and have experienced very cold temperatures -- during shipping. Products get trucked to stores, and most semi truck trailers are not heated, so if you live in the northern half of the US and buy something during the winter, it's likely experienced sub-freezing temperatures at least once. Anything shipped using air freight has also likely experienced the same. I wouldn't get in the habit of storing your IEMs in the freezer or anything, but on the (relatively rare) occasion you have a tip get stuck on the nozzle, the freezer trick is probably safer than trying to wrestle it off.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #1,592 of 4,022
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #1,593 of 4,022

Quote:
Sounds like we hear it exactly the same! Very nice and concise write up! I slightly preferred my W3s to the SE530s, but now with the SE530's "issues' fixed (rolled off treble and compressed sound stage), the SE535s are just perfect. They still have the best in class mids for IEMs and now with an extended spectrum (bass and treble). Actually I like the SE535s so much, my W3s got very little head time and have been since sold.

As much as I enjoyed my W3s, I really don't miss them. If I want a bassy portable headphone, I've always got my Edition 8LEs.

Bad fit. SE530 has an absolutely insane dynamic range for a balanced armature based IEM to my ears and the soundstage is very 3D and realistic. But this is provided that you get a perfect fit. If you don't, then they will indeed sound compressed to a certain extent and soundstage and overall balance may suffer tremendously.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,594 of 4,022
I'm sure everybody know this but I always put the tips up to the barb and it somehow seems to increase soundstage by a lot.
Personally I put olives on my previously owned 530s right at the barbs and it sounded better than when it push the tips all the way down the nozzle
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #1,595 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
Hello, sorry if that question have been answered already but, does the se535 respond well to a little bit of EQ on the bass ? 
I am interested in a fairly flat response as i usually work in a recording studio and am used to it but also sometime i would like to add a bit of bass. I would be using the EQ of my Cowon J3. By the way if someone use those earphone with a J3 what about the Hiss with those? 
Thanks a lot :) 

I am using my 535's at this moment listening to an Ipod feeding a Fiio E7 that offers three settings of bass boost. I am using the second setting and it feels real nice. They sound real flat without any bass boost, not that that is a bad thing. They sound sweet with a little boost as well. I would not tag myself as a bass head by any means. I vote yes, they do sound nice with a little boost.

Thanks a lot about that :) 
Iam still deciding between the Shure 535 with eq of my Cowon or the Westones 3 with maybe no eq ? 
Well... iam lost of course lol but the shure seem a bit more well made also... 

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #1,596 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like we hear it exactly the same! Very nice and concise write up! I slightly preferred my W3s to the SE530s, but now with the SE530's "issues' fixed (rolled off treble and compressed sound stage), the SE535s are just perfect. They still have the best in class mids for IEMs and now with an extended spectrum (bass and treble). Actually I like the SE535s so much, my W3s got very little head time and have been since sold.

As much as I enjoyed my W3s, I really don't miss them. If I want a bassy portable headphone, I've always got my Edition 8LEs.

Bad fit. SE530 has an absolutely insane dynamic range for a balanced armature based IEM to my ears and the soundstage is very 3D and realistic. But this is provided that you get a perfect fit. If you don't, then they will indeed sound compressed to a certain extent and soundstage and overall balance may suffer tremendously.

Not a bad fit at all. I get a great fit in comparison with the SE535s and medium olivesas well. just in comparison, the sound stage feels a bit too compressed between the two.

Maybe different ear canals hear it differently?

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,597 of 4,022
Just got my Shure SE535 and man am I impressed!  First of all, the packaging is simply first rate.  Heck, the box it came in is built like a tank!  The earphones are great!  I know I haven't played with them long, but first impression is terrific!  I recently bought the Westone 3 and really liked them, but something was just missing for me.  Sounded great, however, I expected more, so I sent them back and ordered the Shure.  I can't describe things as well as the rest of the experts on head-fi, but from a teacher who just wanted something to sound pure and accurate, I am very pleased with the SE535.  Nothing seems to out do anything else:  The bass is not booming, the mid is not overpowering, and the highs are not screeching.  It just fits nicely as a package.  The W3's bass is more powerful, but I really wasn't looking for that.  With the SE535, the sound seems more natural and flowed a lot nicer to my ear!  Sometimes I think reviews are silly, because it really comes down to personal preference.  What sounds great to me will sound terrible to someone else.  I am just happy to have found something that pleases my ears.  Just wanted to put my two cents in.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,598 of 4,022
Today I received my Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10s. (A week after getting my 535s)
There is no doubt so far that I prefer the 535's. No doubt.
The TF10s have a more pronounced bottom, that is certain. But the mids are missing in comparison to the 535s.
I guess I'm a mid guy. :wink:

They sounds swell though, just not to my liking as much as the 535s. MMMMMM.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,599 of 4,022
Do try diferent cables before commenting on TF10, my TF10 also had somewhat recessed mids.
many say upgrading the cable makes a lot of difference with TF10.( though i sold off my TF10 before trying the cables :frowning2: )

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #1,600 of 4,022

Quote:
The TF10s have a more pronounced bottom, that is certain. But the mids are missing in comparison to the 535s.

No, you are a guy who prefers a balanced, natural sound to a colored one that distorts reality.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,601 of 4,022

Quote:
Do try diferent cables before commenting on TF10, my TF10 also had somewhat recessed mids.
many say upgrading the cable makes a lot of difference with TF10.( though i sold off my TF10 before trying the cables :frowning2: )

IMO you shouldn't have to try different cables at this price range. With that said, I noticed a significant improvement myself when I switched the cable on my SF5P to the Westone cable. I wish I had done that much earlier on in my UE experience.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #1,602 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

No, you are a guy who prefers a balanced, natural sound to a colored one that distorts reality.

Well stated.
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #1,603 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, I'm pretty sure he said he's a mids guy.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #1,604 of 4,022

Quote:
Just got my Shure SE535 and man am I impressed!  First of all, the packaging is simply first rate.  Heck, the box it came in is built like a tank!  The earphones are great!  I know I haven't played with them long, but first impression is terrific!  I recently bought the Westone 3 and really liked them, but something was just missing for me.  Sounded great, however, I expected more, so I sent them back and ordered the Shure.  I can't describe things as well as the rest of the experts on head-fi, but from a teacher who just wanted something to sound pure and accurate, I am very pleased with the SE535.  Nothing seems to out do anything else:  The bass is not booming, the mid is not overpowering, and the highs are not screeching.  It just fits nicely as a package.  The W3's bass is more powerful, but I really wasn't looking for that.  With the SE535, the sound seems more natural and flowed a lot nicer to my ear!  Sometimes I think reviews are silly, because it really comes down to personal preference.  What sounds great to me will sound terrible to someone else.  I am just happy to have found something that pleases my ears.  Just wanted to put my two cents in.

Congrats! I never get tired of listening to them. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #1,605 of 4,022
I'm a proud owner of SE535 for about 2 weeks now, got my friend interested and he got a set tonight as well.  First impression he said was too much bass and rolled off highs!  Could the tips make too much bass?  In my case, when I had the wrong tips, it actually sounded tiny and no bass, kinda completely opposite of what he described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back