Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,561 of 4,022
I had the se530 for many years.  To keep the cable from getting hard, I clean them up after use.  That worked for me for about a year and 1/2 until I sold it.  It was still soft then.  Great mids, but not so great treble.  Now I have the SM3 and I had to re-ripped all my songs that were below 192kpbs.  The SE530 were more forgiving making lower kbps song sound good too.  But with the SM3, you can hear a lot more detail when songs are ripped at 192 or even at 320kpbs.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #1,562 of 4,022
I've been considering the SM3's as well but i have a problem with the build quality which looks pretty poor by the pics i've come by. The warranty is just for 1 year even if was told by Earsonics that after warranties expiring they do have a flat 30 Euros rate for repairs.

How would you compare the SM3's against the SE530 that you used to have ?

OT. - I keep two music versions of my music library one in Apple Lossless and one in AAC 320. In the end i go with AAC on the go and at home till the day that i can afford better gear or better ears to tell the difference between these 2 formats. I can discern between aac and mp3 almost always but never between AAC and ALAC.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #1,563 of 4,022
The SE530 has better mids.  It is very smooth and it is very natural and pleasant.  The SM3 also has good mids, but not as good.  However, it has better bass which extend much further than the SE530.  The treble is recessed on both of them, but the SE530 has a nasty roll off around 12K while the SM3 does not.  The other thing about the SM3 is that I can hear more detail and I can pin point instrument location better than the SE530, which made me re-rip all my songs to a higher kbps.  I would re-listen some of my favorite songs and with the SM3, I can hear stuff that I could not before with the SE530.

The SM3 is fragile and I do take very good care of it and so far, so good.  I really like the cables because they a lot softer and have less microphonics.  I hated the modular connectors that Shure uses.  This makes the cabling bulky.  However, the Y-joint is kind of short on the SM3, but it is a minor issue. 

I listen both of them with EQ to boost the treble and I am happy with the arrangement.  I use a rockboxed Fuze as my source.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #1,564 of 4,022
Thank you everyone for your input.  I will go with the 535s over the cheaper 530s since I do plan on using these as long as possible.  This current set of headphones lasted me 4 years (E4c which was replaced under warranty due to wire fraying by the SCL4 and now 2 years after that same problem but no more warranty [shure gives you 1yr on replacements]).

Since i will continue to use my ipod on public transport/walking around the city in freezing temps (i'm guessing this part caused my wire problems)/sitting around at home, the replaceable wire makes a ton of sense.

So is $400 about the best I will be able to do for a new pair?  I want to make sure I still have the 2yr warranty..  I would buy used, but I was browsing the fs/trade forum and someone mentioned that he was dunking his headphones in peroxide prior to selling, and that just gave me weird images of used IEMs.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #1,565 of 4,022
I think GR10, SA7, CK100, UM3x are really good sounding or even better under $400 when compared to SE530 and FX700, E-Q7, DBA-02 are not far behind.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #1,566 of 4,022
Hello, sorry if that question have been answered already but, does the se535 respond well to a little bit of EQ on the bass ? 
Iam interested in a fairly flat response as i usually work in a recording studio and am used to it but also sometime i would like to add a bit of bass. I would be using the EQ of my Cowon J3. By the way if someone use those earphone with a J3 what about the Hiss with those? 
Thanks a lot :) 

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,568 of 4,022

Quote:
Hello, sorry if that question have been answered already but, does the se535 respond well to a little bit of EQ on the bass ? 
I am interested in a fairly flat response as i usually work in a recording studio and am used to it but also sometime i would like to add a bit of bass. I would be using the EQ of my Cowon J3. By the way if someone use those earphone with a J3 what about the Hiss with those? 
Thanks a lot :) 

I am using my 535's at this moment listening to an Ipod feeding a Fiio E7 that offers three settings of bass boost. I am using the second setting and it feels real nice. They sound real flat without any bass boost, not that that is a bad thing. They sound sweet with a little boost as well. I would not tag myself as a bass head by any means. I vote yes, they do sound nice with a little boost.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #1,569 of 4,022

Hey everyone. I just got my SE535s today (to those people who I was considering buying these used from, thanks anyway), so I figured I'd write a quick review after my initial  impressions. I've only read the most recent dozen or so pages of this thread, so if I'm repeating stuff that's been said before, I apologize. This review is geared toward  those who currently own, previously owned, or have tried the E500/SE530 as I will be comparing them to the SE535 a lot.

Construction and Appearance:

One of the most obvious changes Shure made with the SE535 is the cable. Not very shocking considering it was probably the number one source of complaints from SE530 owners.  There are things I really like about it, and things I didn't care for. This time around, the cable seems much better on the durability front. It's more flexible and feels  lighter than before. And as most of you know, it's removable. A quick note on that: Bravo to Shure for using a MMCX connector instead of just using a pin-and-socket  connection. It really adds value to the product helping make it more worth the price. Near the earpieces, Shure has also added a wire that you can bend to (I would assume)  hopefully help keep the cable over your ears during use, which I have heard people complain about over the years with the SE530. I personally never had that problem, so I  didn't feel the added wire was necessary. In fact, if you're like me and have gotten used to whipping your SE530s over your ear and popping them in nice and fast, the wire may  even slow you down a little at first because you have to actually place the cable over your ears. But I don't find it terribly annoying. I do, however, find what I believe to  be another effect that these wires have to be a little more irritating, but I'll talk about that later.

The thickness of the cable is the same from the earpieces to the Y-split, but from there to the jack the cable has gotten a little thinner, and again, much more flexible. The  cable length is about a couple inches longer as a whole, but the length from the earpieces to the Y-split is nearly 2.5 inches shorter than the SE530. Granted, the SE530 had  quite a long Y-split length, but I'm not too crazy about this. I hate when earphone cables rub against my neck when I'm wearing them. They still don't with the SE535, but  they're dangerously close to doing so. Fortunately, the cable cinch is much more effective on this cable and doesn't slip like on the SE530 when trying to tighten up cable  slack. On the other end of the cable, the once straight 3.5mm jack has become L-shaped. I actually prefer the straight jack on the SE530. I've gotten accustomed to the cable  coming from the top of my iPhone straight out of my pocket. But at least Shure put a very good strain relief on the jack itself which looks like it can withstand plenty of  crimping.

As far as the SE535's actual appearance, (and this is of course my personal preference, but) if you're still deciding between the metallic bronze color and clear, I'll decide  for you: Get the clear. It looks so cool. I was hesitant about it at first, but it looks just awesome in person. (And if you don't agree with me... well alright then.... :D )

And then there's the tips.... Like the SE530, the SE535 comes with olive foam tips pre-installed on the earphones. When I was browsing different threads regarding the SE535, I  came across one talking about how insanely difficult it was to remove the tips. It even mentioned cooling the earpieces themselves to get the tips to separate from the bore. I  just read it all laughing going, "Oh, come on. Quit crying you woosies. Yeah, I'm sure the tips are a little stiff like they were with the SE530, but you just have to twist  and pull. Having to chill your $500 earphones to get the tips off? Good Lord...." So tonight after I had a quick listen to my SE535s, I tried to take the tips off....

...I took them out of my freezer after about 10 minutes. The tips were STILL ridiculously hard to get off. I couldn't even get them completely off the first time because the  foam tips got all squished and I had to wait for them to WARM UP so they could return to normal size so I could FREEZE them again! What the hell, did Shure put superglue on  them as a joke? Jesus.... And the sound it makes while you're doing it. I felt like I was literally destroying my brand new earphones that I just opened 20 minutes before....

...Clearly a very enjoyable experience.

Fit:

I saw one or two people mention that they didn't have any fit issues with the SE530, but they do with the SE535, and I'm pretty sure I see why. First of all, I have no issues  at all with either of them, but it also helps that I have bigger ears. As for the earpieces themselves, they're about the same size. The SE535 seems to be slightly thinner,  but it also seems to be a little bigger height-wise, but I really don't see that much of a difference. Where they're drastically different is the angle that the cable comes  out of the earpieces. On the SE530, the cable comes out almost straight up, angled only slightly forward. On the SE535, the cable comes out at pretty much a 45 degree angle.  What this does is it allows the earpiece to sit deeper within the outter part of your ear. The good news is that the earpieces stay much more flush with your ear and, with the  help of the extra wire in the cable, makes for a more solid fit and a tight seal (in my experience). The bad news is that if you have a shallow outter ear, the housing of the  earpiece could rub against it. But I would think for most people, this won't be an issue. Overall, while I didn't have any problems with the SE530 to begin with, I find the  SE535 fits even better for me.

Sound Quality and Performance:

I wasn't expecting a gigantic difference in sound between the SE530 and the SE535. And there doesn't seem to be, which is a good thing (at least to me). But they definitely  are different. When I first heard about the SE535, I read that Shure used the same driver configuration as the SE530 and I went, "Well, then they have to sound the same,  right?" But then I thought about it going, "Well then again, the cable's different, the physical volume within the earpieces is slightly different, the length of the sound  bore must be different, and the filter is probably different.... There's no way they could sound EXACTLY the same."

Before I get into actual sound quality, I'd like to mention something kind of important. Remember when I said that the rigid wires in the cable near the earpieces has a  slightly irritating effect? This may not be entirely true, but this is what I think. Without the wires in its cable, the SE530's cable pretty much rests all along the back of  your ear. With the rigid wires in the SE535, the cable kind of "floats" above the back of your ear without making real solid contact. My theory is that because of this lack of  contact, vibrations are able to travel up the cable without getting dampened by the back of your ear and are able to reach your inner ear more easily. Like I said, this may  not be completely correct, but whether it is or not, unfortunately the cable does seem to be more microphonic. The cable noise isn't unbearable, but it does seem more audible  than on the SE530 to me. Just something to be aware of.

*** Please keep in mind that these are all MY experiences. You may hear and experience things different from me, so take my comments with a grain of salt. ***

So I haven't spent a ton of time with them, but I have been A/B-ing my SE530s and SE535s all night. First, I used a headphone splitter, put one earpiece from each set in my  ears, and connected them to my computer and ran a frequency sweep. To my ears, the SE535 does indeed reach lower and extend higher than the SE530. Not by a ton, but noticeable  to me at least on that A/B test. Then I just started listening to music, still with one of each phone in each ear. The first thing I listened for was the mids. Shure doesn't  seem to have touched the SE530's mids at all (thank God). They're still forward (meaning vocals still sound amazing), but not as prominent (making for better balance). The  main contributor to that is the highs, which are much more prominent than the SE530's. That's not saying a ton, however, because those who have the SE530 know that its highs  are, if anything, recessed. This wasn't a horrible thing though. Instead of just being dull, it was more forgiving to bad recordings and made for less fatigue. On the other  hand, the SE535's are definitely not recessed. In fact, any more highs and I would personally consider it bright (but that's probably just me). It seems to give more life and  body to upper-range instruments, especially cymbals so I'm finding. Fortunately, that boost in treble doesn't come at the cost of fatigue. They're still very smooth and  polite, but now I don't have to crank it to 11 to hear detailed highs (though like other sources, turning it to 12 can cause some sibilance... and hearing loss...).

Unfortunately, the boost in treble does seem to come at the cost of forgiveness to bad recordings/files. For me, the SE535 makes artifacts due to digital compression more  apparent. With my SE530, I've listened to 128kbps MP3s and not even recognized it. Today, I listened to a 192kbps MP3 and went, "Since when does this song sound like $#!+  ?..." And then I popped in my SE530s and actually listened for the artifacts, and responded to myself going, "Oh.... It's always sounded like $#!+ ..." But that hasn't  happened very many times, and being able to listen at lower volumes while still hearing more detailed treble is a worthy tradeoff. So combine the enhanced highs with the  extended lows and the same great mids and you get a set of earphones with a very nice, balanced sound that's worthy of being the successor to the excellent SE530.

The SE535 isn't anything revolutionary, but at the same time, it's not simply another rebranded E500 either. It's a very nice update to Shure's flagship earphone that's the  result of good customer feedback and solid engineering. It's definitely not for everyone and may not be worth the upgrade for existing SE530 owners, but it sure is a great  earphone, and so far, I'm loving it.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,570 of 4,022
^ Very nice stirrup the man, I also got the clear model and love the look; the people that talk to me about the headphones also like the look of the clear model as well, however I feel as I need to clean the cable because it is getting a little dirty lol. But they are great sounding phones and sound good with a wide variety of music.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,571 of 4,022
Just another perspective as I had owned SE535 almost 5 months.

Perhaps a flip flop in preference since I did have rave reviews for SE535 but after many months with them...I have sold SE535 and came back to W3 and definitely prefer it and here is why.

Shure clearly capitalizes on the fact that most of the music falls in the midrange frequency and that is fine.  But I tend to listen on the loud side (not sure my opinion would change much if I didn't listen loudly) and a forward midrange definitely gets fatiguing on the (my) ears over time.  It's the "shouting at you" factor.  Granted the SE535 treble is improved over the SE530 but it is often difficult to distinguish it because the midrange literally bleeds into the highs and lows.  What it seems like you end up with is an IEM that really plays it safe by giving you 60% of your sound from a benchmark forward midrange and 20% on bass and treble. 

After 10 -15 minutes back with W3 I didn't feel the midrange was really recessed.  Vocals actually sounded fine.  But what I really noticed was a clear and articulate much further extension on top (crispness) and bottom that is just not there with SE535.  Or it may be there but it is a little in the background due to so much midrange being presented.  I would almost gauge W3 as 35% bass and treble and 30% midrange which (to me) is much more exciting and engaging.  Don't get me wrong....SE535 is a fine IEM...very refined and smooth sounding but certainly a personal preference thing of what I describe above.  Just my $0.02

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,572 of 4,022

Quote:

Perhaps a flip flop in preference since I did have rave reviews for SE535 but after many months with them...I have sold SE535 and came back to W3 and definitely prefer it and here is why.

Shure clearly capitalizes on the fact that most of the music falls in the midrange frequency and that is fine.  But I tend to listen on the loud side (not sure my opinion would change much if I didn't listen loudly) and a forward midrange definitely gets fatiguing on the (my) ears over time.  It's the "shouting at you" factor.  Granted the SE535 treble is improved over the SE530 but it is often difficult to distinguish it because the midrange literally bleeds into the highs and lows.  What it seems like you end up with is an IEM that really plays it safe by giving you 60% of your sound from a benchmark forward midrange and 20% on bass and treble. 

After 10 -15 minutes back with W3 I didn't feel the midrange was really recessed.  Vocals actually sounded fine.  But what I really noticed was a clear and articulate much further extension on top (crispness) and bottom that is just not there with SE535.  Or it may be there but it is a little in the background due to so much midrange being presented.  I would almost gauge W3 as 35% bass and treble and 30% midrange which (to me) is much more exciting and engaging.  Don't get me wrong....SE535 is a fine IEM...very refined and smooth sounding but certainly a personal preference thing of what I describe above.  Just my $0.02

I completely agree. I've tried everything (Eq, tips, volume) and I just can't find a happy place with the 535's.  I can tame my W3's anytime I want, but I can't add what I feel is missing in the 535. The extension is there with the Shure's, but I find the decay is too short on the bottom end. The W3's are boomtastic, but their decay is spot on.  They are as close to a dynamic (IEM/headphone/speaker) as I've heard in a BA. Even the W2, which lacks in extension compared to both the W3 and 535, has a more natural decay than the 535's.  If I don't go the custom route, I'll probably pick up another pair of W2's and be done with IEM's.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,573 of 4,022

Quote:

Hey everyone. I just got my SE535s today (to those people who I was considering buying these used from, thanks anyway), so I figured I'd write a quick review after my initial  impressions. I've only read the most recent dozen or so pages of this thread, so if I'm repeating stuff that's been said before, I apologize. This review is geared toward  those who currently own, previously owned, or have tried the E500/SE530 as I will be comparing them to the SE535 a lot.

Construction and Appearance:

One of the most obvious changes Shure made with the SE535 is the cable. Not very shocking considering it was probably the number one source of complaints from SE530 owners.  There are things I really like about it, and things I didn't care for. This time around, the cable seems much better on the durability front. It's more flexible and feels  lighter than before. And as most of you know, it's removable. A quick note on that: Bravo to Shure for using a MMCX connector instead of just using a pin-and-socket  connection. It really adds value to the product helping make it more worth the price. Near the earpieces, Shure has also added a wire that you can bend to (I would assume)  hopefully help keep the cable over your ears during use, which I have heard people complain about over the years with the SE530. I personally never had that problem, so I  didn't feel the added wire was necessary. In fact, if you're like me and have gotten used to whipping your SE530s over your ear and popping them in nice and fast, the wire may  even slow you down a little at first because you have to actually place the cable over your ears. But I don't find it terribly annoying. I do, however, find what I believe to  be another effect that these wires have to be a little more irritating, but I'll talk about that later.

The thickness of the cable is the same from the earpieces to the Y-split, but from there to the jack the cable has gotten a little thinner, and again, much more flexible. The  cable length is about a couple inches longer as a whole, but the length from the earpieces to the Y-split is nearly 2.5 inches shorter than the SE530. Granted, the SE530 had  quite a long Y-split length, but I'm not too crazy about this. I hate when earphone cables rub against my neck when I'm wearing them. They still don't with the SE535, but  they're dangerously close to doing so. Fortunately, the cable cinch is much more effective on this cable and doesn't slip like on the SE530 when trying to tighten up cable  slack. On the other end of the cable, the once straight 3.5mm jack has become L-shaped. I actually prefer the straight jack on the SE530. I've gotten accustomed to the cable  coming from the top of my iPhone straight out of my pocket. But at least Shure put a very good strain relief on the jack itself which looks like it can withstand plenty of  crimping.

As far as the SE535's actual appearance, (and this is of course my personal preference, but) if you're still deciding between the metallic bronze color and clear, I'll decide  for you: Get the clear. It looks so cool. I was hesitant about it at first, but it looks just awesome in person. (And if you don't agree with me... well alright then.... :D )

And then there's the tips.... Like the SE530, the SE535 comes with olive foam tips pre-installed on the earphones. When I was browsing different threads regarding the SE535, I  came across one talking about how insanely difficult it was to remove the tips. It even mentioned cooling the earpieces themselves to get the tips to separate from the bore. I  just read it all laughing going, "Oh, come on. Quit crying you woosies. Yeah, I'm sure the tips are a little stiff like they were with the SE530, but you just have to twist  and pull. Having to chill your $500 earphones to get the tips off? Good Lord...." So tonight after I had a quick listen to my SE535s, I tried to take the tips off....

...I took them out of my freezer after about 10 minutes. The tips were STILL ridiculously hard to get off. I couldn't even get them completely off the first time because the  foam tips got all squished and I had to wait for them to WARM UP so they could return to normal size so I could FREEZE them again! What the hell, did Shure put superglue on  them as a joke? Jesus.... And the sound it makes while you're doing it. I felt like I was literally destroying my brand new earphones that I just opened 20 minutes before....

...Clearly a very enjoyable experience.

Fit:

I saw one or two people mention that they didn't have any fit issues with the SE530, but they do with the SE535, and I'm pretty sure I see why. First of all, I have no issues  at all with either of them, but it also helps that I have bigger ears. As for the earpieces themselves, they're about the same size. The SE535 seems to be slightly thinner,  but it also seems to be a little bigger height-wise, but I really don't see that much of a difference. Where they're drastically different is the angle that the cable comes  out of the earpieces. On the SE530, the cable comes out almost straight up, angled only slightly forward. On the SE535, the cable comes out at pretty much a 45 degree angle.  What this does is it allows the earpiece to sit deeper within the outter part of your ear. The good news is that the earpieces stay much more flush with your ear and, with the  help of the extra wire in the cable, makes for a more solid fit and a tight seal (in my experience). The bad news is that if you have a shallow outter ear, the housing of the  earpiece could rub against it. But I would think for most people, this won't be an issue. Overall, while I didn't have any problems with the SE530 to begin with, I find the  SE535 fits even better for me.

Sound Quality and Performance:

I wasn't expecting a gigantic difference in sound between the SE530 and the SE535. And there doesn't seem to be, which is a good thing (at least to me). But they definitely  are different. When I first heard about the SE535, I read that Shure used the same driver configuration as the SE530 and I went, "Well, then they have to sound the same,  right?" But then I thought about it going, "Well then again, the cable's different, the physical volume within the earpieces is slightly different, the length of the sound  bore must be different, and the filter is probably different.... There's no way they could sound EXACTLY the same."

Before I get into actual sound quality, I'd like to mention something kind of important. Remember when I said that the rigid wires in the cable near the earpieces has a  slightly irritating effect? This may not be entirely true, but this is what I think. Without the wires in its cable, the SE530's cable pretty much rests all along the back of  your ear. With the rigid wires in the SE535, the cable kind of "floats" above the back of your ear without making real solid contact. My theory is that because of this lack of  contact, vibrations are able to travel up the cable without getting dampened by the back of your ear and are able to reach your inner ear more easily. Like I said, this may  not be completely correct, but whether it is or not, unfortunately the cable does seem to be more microphonic. The cable noise isn't unbearable, but it does seem more audible  than on the SE530 to me. Just something to be aware of.

*** Please keep in mind that these are all MY experiences. You may hear and experience things different from me, so take my comments with a grain of salt. ***

So I haven't spent a ton of time with them, but I have been A/B-ing my SE530s and SE535s all night. First, I used a headphone splitter, put one earpiece from each set in my  ears, and connected them to my computer and ran a frequency sweep. To my ears, the SE535 does indeed reach lower and extend higher than the SE530. Not by a ton, but noticeable  to me at least on that A/B test. Then I just started listening to music, still with one of each phone in each ear. The first thing I listened for was the mids. Shure doesn't  seem to have touched the SE530's mids at all (thank God). They're still forward (meaning vocals still sound amazing), but not as prominent (making for better balance). The  main contributor to that is the highs, which are much more prominent than the SE530's. That's not saying a ton, however, because those who have the SE530 know that its highs  are, if anything, recessed. This wasn't a horrible thing though. Instead of just being dull, it was more forgiving to bad recordings and made for less fatigue. On the other  hand, the SE535's are definitely not recessed. In fact, any more highs and I would personally consider it bright (but that's probably just me). It seems to give more life and  body to upper-range instruments, especially cymbals so I'm finding. Fortunately, that boost in treble doesn't come at the cost of fatigue. They're still very smooth and  polite, but now I don't have to crank it to 11 to hear detailed highs (though like other sources, turning it to 12 can cause some sibilance... and hearing loss...).

Unfortunately, the boost in treble does seem to come at the cost of forgiveness to bad recordings/files. For me, the SE535 makes artifacts due to digital compression more  apparent. With my SE530, I've listened to 128kbps MP3s and not even recognized it. Today, I listened to a 192kbps MP3 and went, "Since when does this song sound like $#!+  ?..." And then I popped in my SE530s and actually listened for the artifacts, and responded to myself going, "Oh.... It's always sounded like $#!+ ..." But that hasn't  happened very many times, and being able to listen at lower volumes while still hearing more detailed treble is a worthy tradeoff. So combine the enhanced highs with the  extended lows and the same great mids and you get a set of earphones with a very nice, balanced sound that's worthy of being the successor to the excellent SE530.

The SE535 isn't anything revolutionary, but at the same time, it's not simply another rebranded E500 either. It's a very nice update to Shure's flagship earphone that's the  result of good customer feedback and solid engineering. It's definitely not for everyone and may not be worth the upgrade for existing SE530 owners, but it sure is a great  earphone, and so far, I'm loving it.

Sounds like we hear it exactly the same! Very nice and concise write up! I slightly preferred my W3s to the SE530s, but now with the SE530's "issues' fixed (rolled off treble and compressed sound stage), the SE535s are just perfect. They still have the best in class mids for IEMs and now with an extended spectrum (bass and treble). Actually I like the SE535s so much, my W3s got very little head time and have been since sold.

As much as I enjoyed my W3s, I really don't miss them. If I want a bassy portable headphone, I've always got my Edition 8LEs.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #1,574 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

I completely agree. I've tried everything (Eq, tips, volume) and I just can't find a happy place with the 535's.  I can tame my W3's anytime I want, but I can't add what I feel is missing in the 535. The extension is there with the Shure's, but I find the decay is too short on the bottom end. The W3's are boomtastic, but their decay is spot on.  They are as close to a dynamic (IEM/headphone/speaker) as I've heard in a BA. Even the W2, which lacks in extension compared to both the W3 and 535, has a more natural decay than the 535's.  If I don't go the custom route, I'll probably pick up another pair of W2's and be done with IEM's.

Hey Joey, I see that you had owned the IE 8. Can you tell me the difference in the bass (quality and quantity) between the IE 8 and the W3? Thanks.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #1,575 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Joey, I see that you had owned the IE 8. Can you tell me the difference in the bass (quality and quantity) between the IE 8 and the W3? Thanks.

The IE8 is a dynamic IEM, so it literally moves air.  That gives it an edge in the thump factor.  However, I prefer the bass of the W3.  Westone nailed the decay of the W3.  It sounds more like a dynamic than a BA.  The W3 has great range and impact (you'll swear they are moving air) and they are much more detailed than the IE8.  Some people claim that the W3 has a mid-bass hump like the IE8.  I disagree.  I hear a mid-bass presence (that can easily be EQ'd if you find it overwhelming) that doesn't effect the lower mids like the IE8.  While I loved certain aspects of the IE8 (bass thump - soundstage), they lacked detail throughout and couldn't satisfy me with their mids and highs (I heard the veil).  The W3 has the best bass I've heard in an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back