Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #631 of 4,022

Quote:
LOL.... Thanks @ MacedonianHero. Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I on top of that I got a great deal (way under $400 new and sealed). I didn't hate the SE530s, but I didn't get that "wow factor" from them either. I'm hoping the second time will be the charm. I am also curious how it will stack up against the SM3. If one clearly blows out the other, then one must go. If they're close but different, then both will stay.

Too funny...curiosity and Head-fi - a lethal combination.
tongue_smile.gif

The thing I love about the SE535s and beyerdyanmic T1s is that while they are very impressive, they don't wow you like many headphones at first. But over time you come to realize that they just do everything so well. Many other cans/iems I've heard that initially wow'd me, I've since sold off. And that for me makes them (SE535s/T1s) long term keepers.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #632 of 4,022
 Thanks to MacedonianHero & Spyro for leading me to the black olives vs. silicon triple flange. Looking at both of your thread counts I would say you both have considerable experience between different IEM's. I've read this thread from the beginning and after I received my 535's end of June, I went straight for the triple flange's because of my past experience with the E3c & E4c's. After a week, or so of not being totally satisfied with the new sound sig, I too started trying different tips and fit. Both of you had suggested that the black olives worked best for you and the reasons you gave held true after I finally gave them a chance. Now using them for the past three weeks I find that the bottom end is much better, clear, clean, lite and a bit more airy in my ears, with a fit that does not work it's way out. The sound is very balanced, not overwheming, treble bright, but not tinny.
Anyway, glad to be a part of this family and thanks again for all your help within your posts.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #633 of 4,022
I'm definitely not thanking them :) I hate them both right now (you can add shane to that list too :D) as I'm pretty tempted to get them right now but still a bit skeptical but I'm skeptical of everything in the market right now that's pretty new in head-fi.

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #634 of 4,022
Spyro,

Was reading through this thread and noticed that your new favourite IEM is probably the shure se535.

Flashback:
I have always relied on your impressions while buying my IEMs since I found we have similar tastes. I listen at fairly high volumes too and had the um2 before. I upgraded to the um3x a month back based on your suggestions and I am in totally in love with the sound. I also noticed that I listen to the um3x at a lower volume since all the details I need to hear are present without raising the volume. I find the monitors to be all that you mentioned and more. Most people find the soundstage to be similar to the um2 but I personally find it noticeably bigger.

Present Day:
I have noticed that you have kept the westone 3 but sold the um3x. Do you think after further listening that the w3 is a better iem than the um3x? I get seriously turned off by mid bass hump which according to what I have read is a problem for you too. I have not heard the w3 but from your posts they do have a mid bass hump.

The other question that I have is with regard to the um3x. You mentioned in previous threads that I have read that you preferred the um3x over the se530. Do you find that the se535 has won you over again from the um3x? The one thing I absolutely loved with um2 and still do with um3x is how the vocals are upfront in the mix. In fact with the um3x, I love how the bass hits real low and does not mix with the other frequencies. I am also not a fan of bloated bass which is why I steered clear of the w3. I am considering the se535 and would like to know what it does better than the um3x? Also between the w3 and the um3x which do you think is the better iem today after you have had some more experience with them? You mention that the um3x tilts a bit towards the lower frequency whereas the se535 keeps it more neutral. I noticed that about the um3x and actually love it. But I can never know what the se535 has to offer unless I hear them. I find the um3x detailed and fun sounding at the same time. So I guess my question is regarding your change from se530 to um3x and then back to se535 and also where the w3 stands in all of this.

Thank you.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #635 of 4,022

Quote:
LOL.... Thanks @ MacedonianHero. Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I on top of that I got a great deal (way under $400 new and sealed). I didn't hate the SE530s, but I didn't get that "wow factor" from them either. I'm hoping the second time will be the charm. I am also curious how it will stack up against the SM3. If one clearly blows out the other, then one must go. If they're close but different, then both will stay.

I got to say, I was pretty tempted to get the 535 at one point, but I decided to jump on the custom bandwagon instead. I will be looking forward to your comparison.

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #636 of 4,022

Quote:
 Thanks to MacedonianHero & Spyro for leading me to the black olives vs. silicon triple flange. Looking at both of your thread counts I would say you both have considerable experience between different IEM's. I've read this thread from the beginning and after I received my 535's end of June, I went straight for the triple flange's because of my past experience with the E3c & E4c's. After a week, or so of not being totally satisfied with the new sound sig, I too started trying different tips and fit. Both of you had suggested that the black olives worked best for you and the reasons you gave held true after I finally gave them a chance. Now using them for the past three weeks I find that the bottom end is much better, clear, clean, lite and a bit more airy in my ears, with a fit that does not work it's way out. The sound is very balanced, not overwheming, treble bright, but not tinny.
Anyway, glad to be a part of this family and thanks again for all your help within your posts.

No problem...

I continually go back to the black olives: best sound, comfort and noise isolation. Glad you're enjoying your SE535s...they are pretty special.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #638 of 4,022
mic1 - I actually use the large TX100 Comply tips  with SE535 but it is very close to the olives.

Genesis...Thanks for the kind words.  Well...they are all three great IEM's.  As far as the W3, yes, that bass hump can be annoying but I guess I learned to live with it or tame it down.  With my Nano I use the "treble booster" setting and was quite happy with the sound.  I have never heard such an IEM sound so big and full with a big soundstage yet so much treble clarity.  That's what really sucked me in.  As I recently mentioned in another thread, the only issue I had with UM3X was the somewhat closed in headstage.  It is really amazing for isolating on specific instruments and the instrument separation is phenommenal.  I commend Westone as I think they made UM3X exactly as they intended to. But I find UM3X presentation a sum of many parts where both W3 and SE535 are more about everything together as a whole.  I also find the space and air with SE535 and W3 more pleasurable to listen to.

I would actually say that SE535 is even more balanced and neutral than UM3X.  Bass is just a pinch less and less "thick" sounding to my ears.  While they both have forward midranges, the fact that SE535 has more airiness makes it sound better to my ears.  UM3X is incredibly smooth, refined, and liquid where SE535 is a bit more raw and natural.  Sort of hard to explain and not saying everyone would prefer it that way but the SE535's just seem like that favorite old pair of blue jeans you love to put on.  Nothing is overly flashy but it sort of seems to get everything just about right.  It seems to have me concentrating more on the music which is how it should be.  So to summarize, I prefer SE535 due to more space and distance with which you are hearing the music and more airiness versus UM3X being sort of wired straight to your brain.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #639 of 4,022

Quote:
mic1 - I actually use the large TX100 Comply tips  with SE535 but it is very close to the olives.

I would actually say that SE535 is even more balanced and neutral than UM3X.  Bass is just a pinch less and less "thick" sounding to my ears.  While they both have forward midranges, the fact that SE535 has more airiness makes it sound better to my ears.  UM3X is incredibly smooth, refined, and liquid where SE535 is a bit more raw and natural.  Sort of hard to explain and not saying everyone would prefer it that way but the SE535's just seem like that favorite old pair of blue jeans you love to put on.  Nothing is overly flashy but it sort of seems to get everything just about right.  It seems to have me concentrating more on the music which is how it should be.  So to summarize, I prefer SE535 due to more space and distance with which you are hearing the music and more airiness versus UM3X being sort of wired straight to your brain.

Like MH, I would normally use the Shure Olives (large) for the best sound and fit, but due to the extra time and fiddling it takes, I used the Comply's for my comparison testing between the SM3 and SE535. I have a little trick that eliminates the highs-sucking issue the Comply's have. It's like kwkarth's suggestion to cut back the very tip down to the core, but... different.

I agree with everything you say about the 535. Yes, very neutral overall. Bass is lacking in the same way as the DT880/600. It's there, but it's not big. It's actually a lot like the DT880 in it's tonality.

This is my comparison that I posted on a couple other relevant threads. Sorry for the multi-posting, but that can happen when more than one IEM is discussed...  
redface.gif

I put the SM3 through music break-in for almost 48 hours (jumping in a couple times to test progress), and if it needs any more, the changes would be very minimal. The sound actually changed a lot within the first 24 hours, but then not so much afterward. I did some more testing this morning to music and test tones. The biggest area of change occurred in the lower highs, they became much more apparent and less recessed. The overwhelming bass calmed down quite a bit and became very nice... though still just a bit over-emphasized for my taste.

For me, the negative issue with the SM3 is the recessed upper-mids. There is a dip from about 1khz to about 8khz, with the recess bottoming out at about 5khz. This causes a slightly 'veiled' or dark sound to these cans. Somewhat muted and muffled in overall tone, with sparkling extended highs (well past 13khz) and mighty bass (strong through 20hz !). There also appears to be a hump at about 300hz. It's not as prominent as the recession at 5khz, but adds to the prominence of the upper bass. It's an odd mix.

In comparison to the SE535, the SM3 fails where the 535 excels and vice-versa. The SE535 is clear, clean and open. The SM3 is closed and a bit claustrophobic. The SM3 has recessed upper-mids, where the SE535 has  them in spades: accentuated and articulate. The SE535 has a lack of bass in the way the DT880/600 has: It's there, but not prominent. It's extended, but not pronounced. The SM3 kicks the bass in your face. The SE535 lacks the warmth of the lowest mids, upper bass and gives it a somewhat thin feel. 

Overall, the SM3 is warm, sonorous, somewhat dull (tonally) but fun. If you like your bass, this is the place to find it. They remind me of the M50 somewhat, but with slightly more recessed upper-mids.
The SE535 is clean, open, and spacious. Instruments are articulated with amazing exactness and clarity. There is no murk here, but there also is little sonority. 

These are both great IEM's. Taste in music styles has nothing to do with which one of these you might purchase, but how you like to hear that music will be everything. For example, some of the music I listened to (Classical, bluegrass, rock, jazz, etc.) sounded great with the SM3. Downright gorgeous. But some of all these types sounded like crap. The exact same thing is true of the SE535, but almost diametrically opposite.

So if you like the overall sound of all your music to have a certain warmth, or if you are purchasing the SM3 because you want your Classical music to be relaxing, rich and mellow... these are your IEM's. If you like your Classical (rock, jazz, etc) to have a lively sparkle with forward mids, the SE535 is your man. For rock and other high energy music, the SM3's will give you a thumping power that the SE535's just can't. That added to the sparkle on top can add to the 'fun' factor of these. In some ways they remind me of the D5000, but with more recessed mids.

More time will yield more listening. I had thought I'd be putting the SM3 on the FS thread today, but between the break-in and 'brain burn-in' mentioned above (not really psychoacoustics because it's not the sound that is changing after break-in, but my appreciation for it), I may have developed a liking and appreciation for their sound. I want to hold on to these at least until my DBA-02's come in so I can compare them directly.

Cheers

shane

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #640 of 4,022
Shane,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I think this will be helpful for people deciding between IEMs as they can gauge their own sound preferences to pick a IEM better for their preferred sound profile.  Obviously, two excellent choices! 

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #641 of 4,022

Quote:
Shane,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I think this will be helpful for people deciding between IEMs as they can gauge their own sound preferences to pick a IEM better for their preferred sound profile.  Obviously, two excellent choices! 

Thanks... and I'm really getting excited to get the DBA-02 in my ears so that I can pick the best of the three as the keeper. Well... maybe keep two of the three. 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #642 of 4,022
I was just wondering the Shures have two woofers and one tweeter, is the woofer the "mid" drivers and tweeter the "high" drivers. Is that why the mids sound amazing because they have two drivers pushing it?

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #644 of 4,022

Quote:
^The two large drivers do the bass. The smaller single driver does the mids and highs (lack of highs with the SE530).

Not sure about that one...certainly no lack of highs on the SE535s (I might even want them now tuned down a bit) and they have the same 2 woofer and 1 tweeter configuration. I'm not sure where Shure put the crossover frequency?

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #645 of 4,022
It's effectively a 2 and 1/2 way. A standard 2 way with the bass augmentation of a third driver that is low passed. I took a look at the impedence curve to see if I could determine the x-over point but there's nothing very obvious as you'd expect from a 1st order network. There's a dip at 5k but it's not significant enough to be telling. Also to those that have 'phase' issues with multi driver IEMs. 1st order doesn't have phase shift. You may be hearing something but that's not it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back