Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,752 of 4,022
One of the primary reasons why I still keep my SE535s, given the other similar earphones I own, is that they are one of the very few earphones with presentable cables that come with in-line control. Although the Shure cables don't last very long. I usually have to replace them every year.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,755 of 4,022
Just unboxed a new pair for upcoming travel. I am impressed with the clarity and detail, plugged into a Sony NWZ-A17. My last IEMs were Shure SE420 (a number of years ago).

These are a real step up: reasonable lower mids / upper bass and maybe a little harsh on some passages. I am hoping they will break in a bit before I fly.

So far, so good... I will try them tomorrow with my Sony PHA-1A DAC/amp and see if more power improves the sound.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3,756 of 4,022
After a few years, the glue between the shells tend to lose its hold, and also can cause the plastic to be brittle and cracks to little pieces. It can be sweat and dust might have fall in between the seams that hasten the glue to lose its hold. Since out of warranty, Shure advised me to buy a totally new one instead.Both left and right iem has cracks and be opened easily.

So I used Sugru Red to permanently hold the shells together like epoxy but rubber like. It took about 10 hours to be fully dried completely. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #3,757 of 4,022
  Just unboxed a new pair for upcoming travel. I am impressed with the clarity and detail, plugged into a Sony NWZ-A17. My last IEMs were Shure SE420 (a number of years ago).

These are a real step up: reasonable lower mids / upper bass and maybe a little harsh on some passages. I am hoping they will break in a bit before I fly.

So far, so good... I will try them tomorrow with my Sony PHA-1A DAC/amp and see if more power improves the sound.

Congrats man! Your first impressions are just like mine, I also liked the lower extension which adds body to the sound and agree about mids - they are pretty good but somewhat just a little bit not as natural as those of Se425.  I also was pleasantly surprised by the clarity. Never liked the highs so I removed the filters (inside nozzle) and they started to sound really awesome (to my taste anyways) - noticeably more clear/transparent (very close to Se846 in clarity), more treble extension (hated that roll-off). I just love how they pair with Walkmans. Even out of Wakman E they sound very good! Connecting them to Walkman F - they sound pretty awesome and refined (even at flat EQ but enabling DSSE, Dynamic normalizer and Clear Stereo options). If you are not against EQ then you can use Poweramp to EQ them to sound similar to SE846. However an amp with bass boost (they need a lot if filters are removed) and good soundstage will take them to next level.
Just my opinion.
Enjoy!

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,758 of 4,022

congratulations ... very interested in your impresions with PHA-1A as i have the walkman and shure and interested in adding pha-1a but questioning the added benefit ... 

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #3,759 of 4,022
Guys in some posts I heard that bass is very low on 535s, can you guys share some light on this ? I was initially thinking about 846s but I think they would be somewhat similar to my ie80 with that overwhelming bass, so I am going with 535s, I hope I get decent amount of bass but no bass will just ruin as I listen to Edms, please comment on this.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3,760 of 4,022
Guys in some posts I heard that bass is very low on 535s, can you guys share some light on this ? I was initially thinking about 846s but I think they would be somewhat similar to my ie80 with that overwhelming bass, so I am going with 535s, I hope I get decent amount of bass but no bass will just ruin as I listen to Edms, please comment on this.

Having owned SE535 and demoed SE846, you'd be deadset mad to choose the 535 over 846 IMO. Big difference in mid-range detail and presentation. You should be heading to the 846 thread and asking what they think of the bass, chances are some one can compare to IE80 for you then can go from there.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #3,761 of 4,022

The bass of 846s is not overwhelming when pairing properly. So the question is: What source do you plan to use with 846s?

I use mine mostly with Galaxy Note 4 and Creative Sound Blaster E5 and it is OK. No dominance of bass. Sometimes, I use them with my Leben CS600 (KT120 tubes) and it is also OK.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #3,762 of 4,022
The bass of 535 is fast,punchy and well controlled and quite deep for its category.Of course it doesn't go as deep as se846 and when a song with sub bass content comes along and the subwoofer comes into play it is unforgettable the first time you hear it :).Anyway,the tips and how tight they fit into your ear canal play a major role to how much bass you hear.My suggestion is keep the stock copper cable,forget silver if you want bass,keep the stock olives they give enough lows without muddying the sound,get some knowles filters (gray,white and maximum should be  brown,anything else too veiled and muddy)and get a bassy dap or eq.My preference for se535,stock cable, shure olives/star tips,white knowles dampers and get a sony player.Shure and sony always have synergy and forget about crazy bass from iems all of you kids who listen to edtm and think that you can replicate the rumbling lows you hear when you are out clubbing,ain't gonna happen even if you pay over $2000 for some of the best customs.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,763 of 4,022

Hi. Some time ago I was unsure if to get Ie80 or SE535 but then I got very good deal on SE535 and purchased them. Like a year after that I finally had some time (not much) to listen to Ie80 and while I liked the soundstage, the clarity wasn't at the same level as that of Se535, then mids are much better on Se535. Now..Se846 is MUCH better than Se535 and Se535 is better (in my opinion anyways) than Ie80. I listen to EDM (vocal melodic trance, uplifting etc) a lot and I got Se535 knowing they are not bass cannons - and I like them for EDM (however I always tend to eq-up the bass). About bass - se846 have very very good bass and by that I mean quality and quantity, it extends far far deeper than that of Se535 and its quality just destroys Ie80´s bass and the good thing - it does not interfere with the rest (also if you need more or less bass just switch for black or white filter) so what you get is much better bass than that of IE80, very clear mids and highs, superb imaging (much better than that of HD700 in my opinion) good extension on both sides (not as good high end), much bigger soundstage than that of se535, everything just sound right and if it is not enough you can also alter the sound to get more treble or bass...what is not to like (ok...the price).
Se535 have decent amount of bass and responds very well to eq, the no bass shures are the se425 (I absolutely do not like them for EDM).

Just my opinion. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #3,764 of 4,022
Guys, any body customize his 535 from inearcentral ? , I'm thinking of adding subwoofer + tweeter :) 
http://www.inearcentral.com/product/customize-your-shure-se535/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back