Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #3,766 of 4,022
Hmm, that looks interesting. Adding a single dynamic driver to make it a hybrid may be cool. The CI driver would definitely add a bass thump, as well. Another tweeter could help with high end extension. I wonder which driver they use for the dual (another TWFK?). And the triple driver addition -- is that essentially another set of the driver package the 535 already has?

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,767 of 4,022
  congratulations ... very interested in your impresions with PHA-1A as i have the walkman and shure and interested in adding pha-1a but questioning the added benefit ... 

I haven't tried this yet (been really busy with work), but I did plug in the SE535 into my Lehmann Audio - wow, what a difference over the bare Sony NWZ-A17 - I was smiling and feel that these IEMs scale well with power, so I am optimistic I will like the results.

I will tell you that my travel rig used to be the AudioQuest Nighthawks + NWZ-A17 + PHA-1A. The PHA-1A was a serious jump-up in sound quality over the stand-alone walkman, so I am expecting good things with the SE535. I think the Sony Walkmans are incredible clean sounding source components, but I want need more power than they can provide. YMMV.

But, I really don't want to travel with the NightHawks, anymore - the case is too big - hence the SE535 purchase.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #3,768 of 4,022
Thanks everyone for clearing the bass implementation of shure se535s, my primary source is iphone 6s plus (sorry to disappoint), i will be getting the 535 Ltd edition and a good source such as ibasso or fiio e12A rather than getting the 846s in the meantime as i dont have any capable source to pair it with and also a little low on budget right now.

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #3,769 of 4,022
I haven't tried this yet (been really busy with work), but I did plug in the SE535 into my Lehmann Audio - wow, what a difference over the bare Sony NWZ-A17 - I was smiling and feel that these IEMs scale well with power, so I am optimistic I will like the results.

I will tell you that my travel rig used to be the AudioQuest Nighthawks + NWZ-A17 + PHA-1A. The PHA-1A was a serious jump-up in sound quality over the stand-alone walkman, so I am expecting good things with the SE535. I think the Sony Walkmans are incredible clean sounding source components, but I want need more power than they can provide. YMMV.

But, I really don't want to travel with the NightHawks, anymore - the case is too big - hence the SE535 purchase.

The Shure SE535 do scale with equipment. They sound quite impressive when it's on the right chain.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #3,771 of 4,022
Hmm, that looks interesting. Adding a single dynamic driver to make it a hybrid may be cool. The CI driver would definitely add a bass thump, as well. Another tweeter could help with high end extension. I wonder which driver they use for the dual (another TWFK?). And the triple driver addition -- is that essentially another set of the driver package the 535 already has?

check this MOD, he added 9mm Dynamic Driver + WBFK Tweeter= 5 drivers
http://www.inearcentral.com/custom-shure-se535-triple-driver-converted-to-5-driver-with-added-9mm-dynamic-driver-and-wbfk-tweeter/

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,773 of 4,022
Finally ordered the 846s, after thinking much that 535s will just make me wanting for more so finally went for the ultimate prize, made a huge dent on my wallet though, hope those will worth it.

I think they call that "go big or go home" :)  Also "welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet".  Run now while you can :p

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,774 of 4,022
Finally ordered the 846s, after thinking much that 535s will just make me wanting for more so finally went for the ultimate prize, made a huge dent on my wallet though, hope those will worth it.

Going for the Shure SE846 saved you alot of money. Because you'd probably bought the Shure SE846 later if you bought the Shure SE535.

Also the Shure SE846 with the white filter is a Shure SE535 on steriods.

May 4, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,775 of 4,022
The se846 is the technically superior iem no doubt.Fuller sounding,much better soundstage depth,better detail,deeper lows with more impact,more extented highs.However the se535 is the more enjoyable,musical iem with more engaging mids,especially the euphoric albeit a little forward vocals of se535 are much  more to my taste  than the more neutral se846 vocals.You can also play with knowles filters especially the white adds more clarity although not as warm as stock but still warmer/more coloured  than se846 blue filter.My  favourite dap for se535 is sony f800/f880 which is technically superior to the a10 series.

May 6, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3,778 of 4,022
  O Dear. My son broke his 535,snapped the nozzle off. Tried repair with super glue,works fine!. Held the parts together,and drizzled the superglue around the crack. At least it saved me from buying him a new pair!.

If they are still under warranty, Shure will replace the side with the broken nozzle.  I stepped on mine about a year ago and did the exact same thing ... sent it to Shure and they replaced it for free.

FYI

May 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,779 of 4,022
Received an extra pair of the 535 for my Birthday. If interested PM me. Otherwise they're on EBay for $300 Buy it now. It's the only ones on there at that price.

May 14, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3,780 of 4,022
Hi there, I am looking for some buying advice.

Look at that, I almost forgot I created an account here altogether, it's been a while :)

I am currently a (rather) happy owner of the SE215's but am looking for an upgrade after about 4 years of use, 1 new cable and 1 near earpiece after I closed my car door on one of them when it was dark.
I'd say clarity and soundstage are 2 very important factors for me. I am debating between the SE425 and the SE535 and just find it very hard to decide. Where I'm from there is a pretty big price difference (almost twice) between the two, but I'm OK with that depending on the how much extra quality you get.

The main complaints I hear about the SE425 is that they have "rolled-off highs" and here and there I saw complaints about the bass (this is all from Internet research, I do not know anyone firsthand).
I can only picture these 2 claims, unfortunately I cannot actually try either of these headphones prior to purchasing.

I listen to a wide variety of genres - from rock and metal, to jazz, electronic, indie, punk, hardcore and more. I do enjoy being able to pick up on all the details when there are multiple instruments playing, and also being "sucked in" into the music (I think a good soundstage can help with that).

Yes - I've seen a few threads about SE535 vs SE425, but most of them are dormant, so I thought I'd post here.
Any advice will be appreciated!

Edit: my source files are mostly 320/288 AAC files, playing mostly from a PC or an iPhone 6S, and occasionally from an iPod Nano (7th Gen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back