Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,663 of 4,022
I've had a great year with the 535s and now it's time to pass them on. The person I'm gifting them to is getting an AK100ii so I was wondering - any good ideas for a 2.5 balanced MMCX cable? Fidue used to make one, but it's vanished...

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,664 of 4,022
  I've had a great year with the 535s and now it's time to pass them on. The person I'm gifting them to is getting an AK100ii so I was wondering - any good ideas for a 2.5 balanced MMCX cable? Fidue used to make one, but it's vanished...

Ted Allen from headphonelounge.com can make one for you; copper, SPC, silver and Litz varieties as well.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,665 of 4,022

If you don't need or want to go for exotic materials, this seller has a 2.5 balanced cable for the Shure SE-535 for $39.99 with free shipping. I bought one for use with my AK240 and couldn't be happier. Good solid connection at the 2.5 plug and the quality was surprisingly good.    

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,667 of 4,022

If you don't need or want to go for exotic materials, this seller has a 2.5 balanced cable for the Shure SE-535 for $39.99 with free shipping. I bought one for use with my AK240 and couldn't be happier. Good solid connection at the 2.5 plug and the quality was surprisingly good.    

Is this really 2.5 mm balanced? Pretty amazingly cheap!

I am planning to get a linum bax cable

Looks nice and thin - they didn't seam ti have a connector option on their page though... do they even do 2.5 balanced connectors?

Ted Allen from headphonelounge.com can make one for you; copper, SPC, silver and Litz varieties as well.

Thanks, that's a good lead.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,668 of 4,022

Is this really 2.5 mm balanced? Pretty amazingly cheap!

Yes it is balanced. I've been using it for about 6 months with no problems. This is my first and only balanced cable and I couldn't see spending $150 or more to see if a balanced connection really made a difference. There is an audible difference but I rather chase other gear, rather than "magic" cables for improved sound.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #3,669 of 4,022
This is my first and only balanced cable and I couldn't see spending $150 or more to see if a balanced connection really made a difference. 

So it isn't and it is balanced? I've never had a balanced amp before, and I'm getting a bit confused here. From what you say it's a  balanced cable but not a balanced connection. I thought the cat's meow was in the connector and the cable was all the same.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,670 of 4,022

So it isn't and it is balanced? I've never had a balanced amp before, and I'm getting a bit confused here. From what you say it's a  balanced cable but not a balanced connection. I thought the cat's meow was in the connector and the cable was all the same.

It's a 2.5mm trrs balanced plug going to MMCX connectors for the Shure SE-535. If you click on the link and scroll down to the detailed description, all should be clear.  

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,671 of 4,022

It's a 2.5mm trrs balanced plug going to MMCX connectors for the Shure SE-535. If you click on the link and scroll down to the detailed description, all should be clear.  

Okay thanks, I think I get it now - what you were saying is you won't go for fancy materials like pure copper or silver, but balanced was worth 39.99 for you?

I won't be getting the balanced amp myself, but my girlfriend will and even if the difference between balanced and not balanced is not that huge, I want her to believe it's the cat's meow. Hearing is perception and perception can colour your experience a lot.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,672 of 4,022
This is the first headphone I've listened to that actually is the most natural sounding headphone. Bass extends all the way down to the depths. Nothing is exaggerated. Just a natural sound. Why can't full sized headphones do this? Nothing sounds like the SE535 except maybe the HD600 or 650 but they don't have the extension in the bass these do.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,673 of 4,022
This is the first headphone I've listened to that actually is the most natural sounding headphone. Bass extends all the way down to the depths. Nothing is exaggerated. Just a natural sound. Why can't full sized headphones do this? Nothing sounds like the SE535 except maybe the HD600 or 650 but they don't have the extension in the bass these do.

Ortho-dynamic may be ?? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #3,675 of 4,022
I have a Baldur MKIII cable. Recently the cable coils awkwardly and are not what it was originally. Is it possible to heat the cable using a hairdryer if I want to get it back to its original coil? Or would the heat damage the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back