Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,631 of 4,022
(pardon the thread diversion, above .. philosophical debates should be handled via PM ... I know this all too well but fell victim to Pavlovian reflex; my apologies...)

That said...

Just to put forth some closure regarding the whole "older driver vs newer driver and whether there would be any sonic differences," question?

I've been listening to my 1 year old left side driver, mated with the brand new RMA provided right side driver that I just received yesterday for about six hours now (new driver manufactured Feb 2015) and I can hear absolutely no discernable difference from memory (before I stepped on/broke my right side driver) ... the older/newer driver pair also sounds identical to the brand new kit that I also have here for comparison.

I'm very relieved.

BTW: Shure, Inc. received my old/broken right side driver this past Monday and I received the new/replacement driver this past Friday, way faster turn around than I had anticipated.

Another Shure Service happy ending...

Rock.

.joel

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3,632 of 4,022
Just got a pair of SE535 from Shure as a replacement for a pair of old broken E5C.

I must say that I LOVE the sound. It is very clear without being clinical.

Some people say bass is bad but I can really feel the bass and it is very exact/clear.

Not so good in how to express all things in English but when I compare them to my Sennheiser HD700 they sound differently but still very good. I like clear sound. I listen most to jazz and there is where most of the mids are. For me miss are most important. 10% bass 10% treble and 80% miss fits me. But the bass is actually punchy or as punchy as it was supposed to be. 

I also had a pair of BOSE 20i that I just sold. Ok sound but not realistic at all. Like having fake strawberries instead of real because they test more sugar! 

So VERY happy and after some time with this I think I dare to try a pair of 846 :wink:.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #3,635 of 4,022
  Just got a pair of SE535 from Shure as a replacement for a pair of old broken E5C.

I must say that I LOVE the sound. It is very clear without being clinical.

Some people say bass is bad but I can really feel the bass and it is very exact/clear.

Not so good in how to express all things in English but when I compare them to my Sennheiser HD700 they sound differently but still very good. I like clear sound. I listen most to jazz and there is where most of the mids are. For me miss are most important. 10% bass 10% treble and 80% miss fits me. But the bass is actually punchy or as punchy as it was supposed to be. 

I also had a pair of BOSE 20i that I just sold. Ok sound but not realistic at all. Like having fake strawberries instead of real because they test more sugar! 

So VERY happy and after some time with this I think I dare to try a pair of 846 :wink:.

Speaking of the Amazon Prime "Trial Program" ... LOL! ... 

A bit back, I used that very same trial program to demo some SE846's ... I knew I would not be keeping those $1000 dollar headphones but I had the money and I just *had* to hear them for myself. And so I ordered them and spent a couple weeks getting to know them.

The SE846 is a significant upgrade over the SE535; it is more detailed, more articulate ... and the bass is just *ridiculously* good ... of all the positive impressions that the 846's made on me, the bass was the most remarkable.  Shure really did work a bit of magic with that design; you just have to hear it to get it ... night and day compared to the already great SE535.

Here's a bit I wrote about the SE846, if you care to read:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/753194/a-shure-se846-review-and-the-agony-of-having-to-send-them-back

:)

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #3,636 of 4,022
Thanks for your tips.

However, Amazon have treated me excellent and I buy most of my stuff from them.

If they treated me bad, like a local HiFi store in Green Bay where I live, I would consider that, but since Amazon is great I would never use them as my test bench.

I think that the 535 is better than I need and I use it with my iPhone 5s listening to Apple Music most of the time.

When I listen to higher quality music I use my Centrance MiFi8 and Sennheiser HD700 and so far nothing beats that sound for me.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3,637 of 4,022
After a long stint away from Shure (Westone UM3x, Westone 3, Westone W30) i'm enjoying a lot the tone of the SE535.

Can't quite understand to those people that feels SE535 bass is anemic. When bass is anemic is due to the record not to SE535 (that can put out very good bass when it's in the recording). Westone (instead) always exaggerates bass so that even when the recording lacks bass the Westones add some on their own.

If there is a wrong place and a wrong time, I’ll be there.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #3,638 of 4,022
Wise thing someone wrote - the bass that was not there to start with shall not be added automatically.

When I use my Shure 535 for jogging or other activities where I need adrenaline I can always turn on the EQ but if not just listening to real jazz I actually love the clear but warm sound as is. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,639 of 4,022
TIPS!

I just got the Etymotic Research ER38-14F Foam Replacement Eartips - 10 Pack from Amazon - for my SE535. They expand much faster and smoother than the yellow Shure tips.

I might be stupid but when I listen to Eric Claptons live CD with the grey ones the bass is deeper and treble more distinct.

Maybe just because they sit more comfortable in my ears.

Just wanted to share.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #3,640 of 4,022
  TIPS!

I just got the Etymotic Research ER38-14F Foam Replacement Eartips - 10 Pack from Amazon - for my SE535. They expand much faster and smoother than the yellow Shure tips.

I might be stupid but when I listen to Eric Claptons live CD with the grey ones the bass is deeper and treble more distinct.

Maybe just because they sit more comfortable in my ears.

Just wanted to share.

How do the Ety tips compare to the Shure tapered black foam tips, a.k.a. "black olives"?

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #3,642 of 4,022
Hello everybody. I have just purchased my SE535 and I would like to ask a few questions. They were probably discussed on more than 240 pages of this thread, but it would be quite time-consuming to read them all :) 

Please advise: 
1. Which tips (stock or from another manufacturers) give the best isolation? The main reason why I switched to SE535 from my Fidue A73 is improved sound isolation. 
2. What custom cable would you recommend as a replacement to a stock one? I am using 535s with a portable player so I would prefer relatively short, non-tangible cable with memory wire on the end. Also, these is minor microphonics effect with the stock cable which I'd like to get rid of.
It would be great if you could recommend particular models from ebay/amazon. 

Thanks and sorry for (most probably) dumb questions. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,643 of 4,022
  Hello everybody. I have just purchased my SE535 and I would like to ask a few questions. They were probably discussed on more than 240 pages of this thread, but it would be quite time-consuming to read them all :) 

Please advise: 
1. Which tips (stock or from another manufacturers) give the best isolation? The main reason why I switched to SE535 from my Fidue A73 is improved sound isolation. 
2. What custom cable would you recommend as a replacement to a stock one? I am using 535s with a portable player so I would prefer relatively short, non-tangible cable with memory wire on the end. Also, these is minor microphonics effect with the stock cable which I'd like to get rid of.
It would be great if you could recommend particular models from ebay/amazon. 

Thanks and sorry for (most probably) dumb questions. 

1- Black olives foam from shure ... westone grey foam
2- i will soon change the stock one with Linum Bax cable ... if you want the memory wire i think you can put moon audio in consideration

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3,645 of 4,022
BTW, do you guys know whether Fiio RC-WT2 cable is compatible with SE535? Official Fiio website states that RC-WT2 is not applicable for Shure, but there are a lot of offers on the Internet which state that this cable is compatible with Shure. The other option is RC-SE1 (stated as applicable on the official website), but the issue is that this cable has a straight connector. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back