Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,647 of 4,022
What's with al the durability problems in reviews? Seems a lot. Should I be concerned?

it is about the end of the second year with my shures and they had some rough times and never failed me .... the only notice is the discoloration of the cable to the greenish color ( i have the clear version ) ... other than that they are perfect 

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #3,648 of 4,022
What's with al the durability problems in reviews? Seems a lot. Should I be concerned?

Man ... I wear mine 2 to 5 hours a day *every* day ... in the gym, while running, while working outdoors, while driving ... I never keep them in a case, just wrap the cord and buds around my Cowon J3 or Note 4 phone, whichever I'm using ... in two years, I'm on my second cord (Shure replaced the first one for free under warranty as they developed a tiny split) ... and otherwise the buds have been fine ... well, I did accidentally step on one a certain drunken weekend night, breaking a nozzle and once more, the bud was replaced for free (and no, they weren't concerned about how it got broke) ...

I say they are tough as nails, personally ... 

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,649 of 4,022
Most people swear by Shure Olives. I'm assuming the Olives are the black foam eartips, the ones that come already installed on the SE535? I received the SE535 today and tried the black foam tips that were already installed on the IEM's. Hated the sound. I typically use Medium to Medium-Large eartips. So I tried the Medium Gray Silicone tips and got great isolation and the bass extension improved greatly. Awesome sound!!! So it appears that the silicones work best for me. I'm totally happy with the Shure Silcone eartips, but just wandering if there is a better brand/aftermarket silicone eartip that works better than the Shure Silicones?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3,650 of 4,022
Most people swear by Shure Olives. I'm assuming the Olives are the black foam eartips, the ones that come already installed on the SE535? I received the SE535 today and tried the black foam tips that were already installed on the IEM's. Hated the sound. I typically use Medium to Medium-Large eartips. So I tried the Medium Gray Silicone tips and got great isolation and the bass extension improved greatly. Awesome sound!!! So it appears that the silicones work best for me. I'm totally happy with the Shure Silcone eartips, but just wandering if there is a better brand/aftermarket silicone eartip that works better than the Shure Silicones?

Thanks.
try westone star tips ...

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #3,651 of 4,022

Thanks.

The tips really do affect the sound. The sylicojn tips are cleaner sounding in the bass department and the "olive" foam tips are a bit more muddy. That said, I still use the foam tips as they seem to isolate more .... I use a Cowon J3 and with EQ settings ... 

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #3,654 of 4,022
What about the Yellow ring tips? How do they sound

The yellow foam tips have a different sound ... not so much isolated, more emphasis on the high frequencies .. tighter bass ... I would use them full time but they are just so uncomfortable (itchy, fragile, etc.) ... 

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #3,655 of 4,022

The yellow foam tips have a different sound ... not so much isolated, more emphasis on the high frequencies .. tighter bass ... I would use them full time but they are just so uncomfortable (itchy, fragile, etc.) ... 

I think it depends on your ears, all of them except for the yellow ones irritate my ears including the olive ones.

The yellow ones give me the best isolation/sound/comfort, the triple flange ones also gave me great sound and isolation but where very uncomfortable, the silicon ones would not stay in and the olive foam ones gave good sound and isolation as long as inserted carefully but hurt my ears after a while.

Got some Comply P-100's on order to try to compare but if they not as good as the yellows I will just be buying a pack of yellows spare :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,656 of 4,022

I think it depends on your ears, all of them except for the yellow ones irritate my ears including the olive ones.

The yellow ones give me the best isolation/sound/comfort, the triple flange ones also gave me great sound and isolation but where very uncomfortable, the silicon ones would not stay in and the olive foam ones gave good sound and isolation as long as inserted carefully but hurt my ears after a while.

Got some Comply P-100's on order to try to compare but if they not as good as the yellows I will just be buying a pack of yellows spare :)

That's interesting ... I  treat the "black olives" like any other "squeeze and insert" tip (think yellows) and for the life of me, I've never heard better sound isolation from any tip, *ever*; hell, I've never even used any actual sound dampening ear plugs that isolate as well. I think a lot of people just sort of press the olives in ... but I've always compressed them by rolling them between my fingers and then inserting and holding them firmly until the expand. 

I like the sound of the yellows a *lot* .. it's clean and crisp and not quite as "thick/wollen" as the olives but the relatively smooth surface of the olives just work better for my ear canal than do the slightly rough exteriors of the yellows...

I still switch up between the olives and the yellows, quite frequently ... but the majority of my time is spent with the olives ...

Thanks for the reply .. interesting differences in user experience ...

Cheers.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,657 of 4,022

That's interesting ... I  treat the "black olives" like any other "squeeze and insert" tip (think yellows) and for the life of me, I've never heard better sound isolation from any tip, *ever*; hell, I've never even used any actual sound dampening ear plugs that isolate as well. I think a lot of people just sort of press the olives in ... but I've always compressed them by rolling them between my fingers and then inserting and holding them firmly until the expand. 

I like the sound of the yellows a *lot* .. it's clean and crisp and not quite as "thick/wollen" as the olives but the relatively smooth surface of the olives just work better for my ear canal than do the slightly rough exteriors of the yellows...

I still switch up between the olives and the yellows, quite frequently ... but the majority of my time is spent with the olives ...

Thanks for the reply .. interesting differences in user experience ...

Cheers.

Hence I guess why Shure includes so many different types with their Earphones and Kudos to them for doing so, I don;t know of any other manufacturer that does so.

Interestingly I used to always use headphones but the bone around my ear has been aching for the last couple of years and the only reason I got the Shures was to avoid this and I knew they included a lot of different sleeves with their earphones so I figured there must be one I would like :p

I had some Beyerdynamic MMX101 that I used with some Comply TX-400's and even with squeezing them before entry they did not stay in and they caused irritation.

But the yellows on the Shure SE535, when I take them out I notice how they are straight/convex at the bottom but concaved at the top, makes me think my ear canal shape is odd hence why the yellows seem to work very well, they don't seem to like the cone shape of the olives as well.

Anyway like I said got some of the longer Comply Professional P-100's on order to compare just in case they are any better. But if not guess will have to buy a pack of 10 yellows as I don't see the yellows lasting a very long time :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back