Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
May 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #2,134 of 4,022
I've decided to sell my SE535. As much as I love how neutral the bass is, or how well it fits, I think its upper-mid emphasis is just a tad too bright for me. Some people love that, but not me. If there was a tip that sucked out that 7KHz peak resonance, then I would totally keep it, as that would allow me to enjoy the SE535 without any EQ (though I'd still want to boot the 13KHz region for more air). I tried the different tips, but they don't seem to affect the sound as much as with something like the Westone 4.

Anyway, for those of you who are looking to get a SE535, here's mine for sale:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553568/shure-se535-complete-package-barely-used#post_7464316

May 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #2,135 of 4,022

Quote:
My SE535 cable broke, and Shure wont send me a replacement. Really bad service

This is really strange to hear. Could you elaborate on why they wont replace? 2 year warranty no? I had a ton of problems with their past 530 cables (on both of my units had to send them back several times) Finally got 2 new 535's but if there were one thing, Shures Customer service have been outstanding. 

May 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2,139 of 4,022

Quote:
This is really strange to hear. Could you elaborate on why they wont replace? 2 year warranty no? I had a ton of problems with their past 530 cables (on both of my units had to send them back several times) Finally got 2 new 535's but if there were one thing, Shures Customer service have been outstanding. 

I might have to call up Shure again. They said i have to have a receipt and i cant give him the S/N. I have a custom cable now, but i did like the stock cable 

May 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2,140 of 4,022

Quote:
I haven't posted here in ages but my Shure E500's finally broke after about 7 years.  Called Shure and they said they would replace them for $240+ shipping.  Please tell me it's worth it?

Good deal here!   can you mention what Shure country you called from ? Is the deal  work also from Shure Canada ?

May 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,141 of 4,022

Quote:
Hey! I was reading your comment and found that you ordered the SE535 Bronze! I'm just wondering how do you feel about the sound? How is the clarity and the bass? I'm thinking about buying it but I would like to know more about it. Thank you.

Read the thread from the beginning !    
wink_face.gif

May 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2,142 of 4,022
I am a long time E500 owner.  The wire slowly cracked and I finally sent them in for replacement. 

After only a few minutes of listening I am VERY pleased.

After years of use, I am very familiar with the 500's sound - even though they have been out of my hands for a week.

I think the improvements over my old 500s are clear.  The highs are much less rolled off.  The sound stage is bigger.

Did I mention I am thrilled?

I only have few minor gripes.

First, the ear loops spin - making it a tad wierd to put on.  I expect i will get used to this quick enough.
Second, the jack does not fit in either my ipod or iphone cases.  I would have thought Shure would have considered cases in their cable desiegn.
Third, the cable tightener does not move so well just yet.  Maybe it will loosen up.
Finally, I asked Shure for clear, but they sent bronze.  I do not care enough to make a deal.  They are pretty.

In conclusion, I am thrilled.

May 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,143 of 4,022
I don't think I've posted since the The Great HF-2 Event of 2009, but I was compelled to announce that the 535s are going to be my next piece of gear.  Got a little raise at work and had to treat myself.

I've been using the old SE-310s for quite a few years now, and I've liked them quite a bit and have taken them with me from the depths of hell (California Bar Exam study) to paradise (cruise in Hawaii).  While they've been great companions, I've really been craving better extension and detail on the highs and lows.  The 310s are incredibly mid-focused.  I know that's Shure's thing (at least in the hi-fi collective consciousness) and I still expect great mids from the new guys, but it would be nice not to want to reach for the iPod's "Electronic" EQ setting to balance things out (which it does on the 310s at the significant expense of increased distortion).

Can't wait to get my new friends.  Ordered from headroom for $499 shipped-- but shipped next day!  Couldn't resist the near-instant gratification. I was going to go for the bronze out of concerns, possibly unfounded, that the clears would discolor over time.  But, hey, the bronzos had a 1-2 week wait, and the clears were now dammit. I think they look cool.  I mean, dorky cool, but fuggit, I'm going to be listening to copious amounts of Squarepusher and Autechre on them, so there's no use hiding the dork factor.

Here's one thing that sells me on Shures-- that isolation factor.  The 310s do it so well, and I'm guessing the 535s aren't slouches.  Shure claims a lot re: dB reduction, and I'm inclined to say they live up.  Seems a whole range of newer top-tiers, barring customs, slouch a bit on isolation (IE8 :cough:).  I know Etys get there, too, but I like my bass (I'll sacrifice perfect "neutrality" a bit for perceived "natural" bass).  Put plainly, if I don't need as close to total noise reduction as possible in a certain situation, I'm not going to be reaching for IEMs.*

*We shall see if the 535s change this.

Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait.

May 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,144 of 4,022

Quote:
I am a long time E500 owner.  The wire slowly cracked and I finally sent them in for replacement. 

After only a few minutes of listening I am VERY pleased.

After years of use, I am very familiar with the 500's sound - even though they have been out of my hands for a week.

I think the improvements over my old 500s are clear.  The highs are much less rolled off.  The sound stage is bigger.

Did I mention I am thrilled?

I only have few minor gripes.

First, the ear loops spin - making it a tad wierd to put on.  I expect i will get used to this quick enough.
Second, the jack does not fit in either my ipod or iphone cases.  I would have thought Shure would have considered cases in their cable desiegn.
Third, the cable tightener does not move so well just yet.  Maybe it will loosen up.
Finally, I asked Shure for clear, but they sent bronze.  I do not care enough to make a deal.  They are pretty.

In conclusion, I am thrilled.

Congrats, The Slider loosen up nicely in a short While. The Spinning Cable if you're like me you may find excellent after a while. The Cable breaks in nicely and with the Spin, it take all stress of the cable. I agree, The L plug is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back