Shure SE530 vs. Westone 3?
Jan 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 73
I enjoyed Westone 3 very much. Actually with UM56 custom sillicon sleeves, it improves the sound of W3 dramatically. it improves the body, the texture, the sparkle, with deep clean tight bass. It becomes 3 Dimensional. definitely a dramatic improvement with UM56.

No one here uses UM56?

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed Westone 3 very much. Actually with UM56 custom sillicon sleeves, it improves the sound of W3 dramatically. it improves the body, the texture, the sparkle, with deep clean tight bass. It becomes 3 Dimensional. definitely a dramatic improvement with UM56.

No one here uses UM56?

I use the 3's with UM-56 silicone tips. I agree, the UM-56's dramatically improve the 3's sound. It was never bad to begin with but with the custom tips they just sounded so much better. I have UE-11's on the way so I can't wait to compare the two.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #48 of 73
The UE- 11 Pro is still in its own league.
smily_headphones1.gif
it is more spacious better separation, very detailed, superb texture with reverberation. The high of UE-11 Pro is highly extended. you just feel every sound instead of just hearing it. It is very tangible. UE-11Pro sounds more like a full sized headphone, like Ultrasone Edition 9. very fun sounding, with surge of energy.

I don't really like UE-10 Pro, it is probably too accurate and too analytical sounding, soundstage is in the head as opposed to UE-11Pro very expansive. I find W3 with UM56 sounds more alive, musical, euphonic, therefore better than UE-10Pro.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #49 of 73
Hands down I would go with the Shure's. The bass on the Westone 3's clouds the mids a bit. The Shure's don't suffer from this problem in my opinion. Over these two I would suggest the Phonak Audeo Pfe's. If you’re not in to analytical phones don't purchase these. I prefer precise, perfection down to the last guitar string. The Westone 3 highs are extending nicely bringing along a little fatigue to accompany them.

The Shure some what lack in highs which can be a pain to a person who listens to rock... The Phonak can be customized to your listening with the filters that come with it. Bass and extended treble extension comes back the black filters. Mids can be found with the grey filters. I recommend the Phonaks, but this poll is about the Shure530's and the Westone 3's. My final decision would be the Shure's.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #50 of 73
well for precise perfection down to the last guitar string, I would go with UE-11 Pro
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #51 of 73
I just listened to both, the W3's I just received from Del Griffith, and a friend's pair of custom silver recabled SE530s.

SE530s: music sounds rather narrow until the vocals hit. It's as if the person is right in front of you and just stunningly clear.

W3: Vocals not as emphasized, while the background music comes through. Blends everything together in a very good way.

I won't vote, because I think they are two different phones for two different listening styles.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right. IEMs started being on the market just a few years ago and is a pretty recent technology and is developing steadily. So the newer model and technology will usually be better than the old ones. Plus we see Westone devoted so much time into this long overdue product, it would live up to the expectations.

and W3 is great indeed!

ETY ER4-S: 1991. They still have their niche.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tingc222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listened to both, the W3's I just received from Del Griffith, and a friend's pair of custom silver recabled SE530s.

SE530s: music sounds rather narrow until the vocals hit. It's as if the person is right in front of you and just stunningly clear.

W3: Vocals not as emphasized, while the background music comes through. Blends everything together in a very good way.

I won't vote, because I think they are two different phones for two different listening styles.

I would have to agree; the 530s, W3, and even Triple.Fi 10s are different animals. They all sound amazing but they are each tuned differently. From what I have heard the trips have great bass and great treble while I have read that the W3s are great all rounders and the 530s are emphasized for the mids.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #56 of 73
I've own both IEM's well the E500's PTH which are essentially the 530's. I sold the Shures and kept the W3's. As mentioned the Shures cable is a tad cumbersome and Westone is light and durable. I used the olive foams for both and found that the Westone gave me the sound I like solid bass with more extension on the treble than the Shures. The midrange are sweeter on the Shures but I didn't feel the Westone lacked the recessed midrange that other people claim. Both are good iems and you can't go wrong with either. The PTH on the Shures is a PITA and never used it but it could also be something that your after.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #57 of 73
I prefer the 530.

The Westones present a large soundstage, but nearly every frequency is exaggerated. The lows are bloated and rough, the highs can be shrill, and the midrange seems recessed compared to everything else.

The 530s, on the other hand, present a very tight sonic picture. Everything seems to be forward-moving; bass and highs support the mids nicely. Plus, the enclosures inspire a lot more confidence that the W3s black plastic.

Notwithstanding, I like Westone's cable.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #58 of 73
I have both of these IEMs. I choose the Westone 3s for every music genre except classical. These are the advantages of the Westones IMO:
1) Wider sound stage
2) Far fewer microphonics
3) Better representation of the bass range
4) Excellent high frequency extension
5) Energetic (fun) sound

The disadvantages of the Westone 3s
1) Bass range is too emphasized for certain types of music (classical)
2) They are a bit harder to fit in my ears (small ears and ear canals). I have to use the long Comply's to get a good fit.

I purchased the SE530s as a backup replacement for my aging Shure e500s and have found the SE530s have less bass and fullness than the e500s. Possibly, the filter of the e500s changed characteristics after 2.5 years of heavy use, though I keep my ears impeccably clean and have never needed to use the cleaning tool provided with the IEMs. Possibly, manufacturing was tweaked.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #59 of 73
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'll try a question anyway.

First, I'm new here.  This forum looks like a great resource!  Thank you all.

I am deciding between these two.  If I could afford the 535s, I'd get them - but I can't.  I listen to a lot of vocals - vocal jazz, standards, Broadway shows.  I also listen to a smattering of country, classical, r & b, and pop.  Would one of these stand out for that purpose?

I'm hoping to find a used pair of one of them here.  Thanks.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #60 of 73
I would take the Westone 3 over SE530 as well but I would take SE535 over W3 since Shure exactly addressed the three deficiencies of SE530 (treble, soundstage, cable) and an added bonus of a smaller housing that is also an easier fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back