Shure SE530 vs. Westone 3?
Jul 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #61 of 73

Quote:
I would take the Westone 3 over SE530 as well but I would take SE535 over W3 since Shure exactly addressed the three deficiencies of SE530 (treble, soundstage, cable) and an added bonus of a smaller housing that is also an easier fit.

I don't think soundstage is lacking on the SE530.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #63 of 73

Quote:
I found the SE530 a bit tunnel'ish sounding compared to W3.  I hear much farther left to right separation with SE535 right on par with W3 now.

Hmm. I think SE530 soundstage has very good depth and very good width as well, but the size can vary significantly depending on the tips used. What exactly do you mean by tunnelish?

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #64 of 73
Sort of like the sound is mostly coming from right out in front of you from a relatively narrow projection.  SE535 seems to be more "around my head" but it's hard to be positive without comparing side by side.  Perhaps another owner could weigh in on this.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #65 of 73
I think I like an accurate sense of width and depth, but since my focus is on vocalists, this is probably less important than some other things.  I've never struggled so much with a purchase - due to not being able to listen before buying.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #66 of 73
I have both and both are very very good. You cannot go wrong with either. I do find the W3 for fun, deeper harder bass and a little lessaccurate but thats the fun with the W3. Shure 530 and 535 have very nice mids and yes they have bass and they have more bass then most earphones out there but not as much as the W3. The Shure's seem very accurate but a bit too serious. I like the fun of the W3. I usually listen to new music on the Shure then have fun and enjoy it later with the W3.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #68 of 73

Quote:
O.K. I am getting so confused here. On one hand, so many people are lauding the Westone 3 as the best IEM's ever made whereas others are saying there is too much sibilance, too much bass, or there are other problems. On the other hand, I can not seem to find any negativity about the SE530 yet supposedly that are not in the same league with the Westone 3. Why is that? As time moves on and the Westone 3 gains in popularity, this issue seems to grow stronger. I just wonder if the Westone 3 is just a case of the emperor's new clothes.

I have the 530 for many years now, then I got the W3 and then the 535. I also have the Futuresonics and UE5pro Bass. Shure (530,535) WILL BOTH BE MORE ACCURATE THEN THE W3. The Shures has bass but not a strong punch compared to the W3 or the other two braands I mentioned. W3 has the meds and it is as clear or clearer then the Shures. Highs seems to be very close. I feel the W3 can get a little mEssy at times especially with badly recorded MP3 tracks while the Shures I cannot tell the difference as much. With great recorded tracks the W3 really shine and the power of the bass and the all around sound is impressive. W3 are fun to have while the Shures are serious.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #69 of 73
I owned the SE530 and have the W3 now.

The SE530 were nice, but just a bit too "vanilla" for me. Smooth as silk but a bit rolled-off in the treble. Made everything sound nice but lacking a bit of wow factor. I hear the SE535 added some bite to the highs, so I'd be curious to hear them!

By comparison, the W3s are definitely a notch more aggressive. I don't find sibiliance an issue, but I do find they can get a bit muddy at times with poorly recorded tracks or the wrong songs. I don't find them particularly fatiguing, which seems to be their main criticism, but they lack the poise of the Shures or something like the new ATK-CK100Pros (just listened to them yesterday and their clarity was amazing).

Overall, the W3s get the slight nod for being more "fun" though their sub-bass mudiness puts me off at times...and I owned the W4 too and MUCH prefer the W3. W4 was just boring IMHO, completely lacking any character, very open sounding but somehow lifeless.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
I owned the SE530 and have the W3 now.

The SE530 were nice, but just a bit too "vanilla" for me. Smooth as silk but a bit rolled-off in the treble. Made everything sound nice but lacking a bit of wow factor. I hear the SE535 added some bite to the highs, so I'd be curious to hear them!

By comparison, the W3s are definitely a notch more aggressive. I don't find sibiliance an issue, but I do find they can get a bit muddy at times with poorly recorded tracks or the wrong songs. I don't find them particularly fatiguing, which seems to be their main criticism, but they lack the poise of the Shures or something like the new ATK-CK100Pros (just listened to them yesterday and their clarity was amazing).

Overall, the W3s get the slight nod for being more "fun" though their sub-bass mudiness puts me off at times...and I owned the W4 too and MUCH prefer the W3. W4 was just boring IMHO, completely lacking any character, very open sounding but somehow lifeless.

exactly what I feel, also W3 fit much better.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #71 of 73
Yes, I also agree about fit. SE530 are ok, but W3 is one of the best fitting IEMs I've ever owned (with the best possibly being UM3x)

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #72 of 73
I realize this thread is SE530 / W3 centric, but where does the W4 fall in regards to those two?

The reason I ask is because the frequency response of the W4 looks like a cross between the the SE530/SE535 and the W3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back