Jan 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 73
I would say you pay for what you get ^ ^

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 73

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

shures RRP are more than the westone's tho. and in that case you actually would believe that you get a bit more from the shures...no? lol

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 73
I have to give the edge to Westone 3s. As it's been noted before, it's defintely a tip dependent IEM. I finally settled on the bullet (?), the clear silicone tips. And from what I heard it's a step up from the SE530 (well, I had the E500s).

NOTE:I plan on putting these up for sale, at nicely discounted price if anyone is interested, not because I'm disastisfied, but I intend to purchse a pair of W3 Customs when they become available. The 3-way crossover design makes a nice difference.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #20 of 73
Get both?

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get both?

I don't see the point in having two IEMS, but if the W3's don't sell then I will use them as my "knock around pair". I already got my ear impressions, just waiting for the big announcement!!
smile_phones.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #23 of 73
O.K. I am getting so confused here. On one hand, so many people are lauding the Westone 3 as the best IEM's ever made whereas others are saying there is too much sibilance, too much bass, or there are other problems. On the other hand, I can not seem to find any negativity about the SE530 yet supposedly that are not in the same league with the Westone 3. Why is that? As time moves on and the Westone 3 gains in popularity, this issue seems to grow stronger. I just wonder if the Westone 3 is just a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #25 of 73
Also, people that remark about Westone's extreme sibilance are just hearing something I don't. I own 2 pairs of the Westone 3 and 3 pairs of the SE530 (don't ask me why).............none of these are particularly sibilant to my ears. The Westone 3s bring out the S's and cymbal crashes a bit more because there is just more treble, but it's not the kind of sibilance that is unlistenable, it sounds very natural to me, but can be tamed a bit by change of source or amp. Still straight out of the iPod, the W3's sound better than my UE10s to me.......and when I have the W3's amped with my Larocca PRII, i feel they are in league with the very best headphones I've ever heard, aka R10s.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David I can honestly say knowing you pretty well as I believe I do....and having loved the SE530 for a long time......the Westone3 outclass the Shure SE530 in most regards. It's not just because its my newer toy, it's just plain obvious to me.

Yes, I think you do know me pretty well. In fact, your review of your IEM's are always nagging me in the back of my mind. I can only fish for answers on this forum as a way of countering what you've said and it is a way for me to learn. What this means is that your opinions matter.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #27 of 73
Having just compared both (and others too) back to back, I am with the others who think that the W3 is superior to the SE530 all around, and so is the IE8 for that matter. And btw among the 3 SE530 cost the most locally.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

David I can honestly say knowing you pretty well as I believe I do....and having loved the SE530 for a long time......the Westone3 outclass the Shure SE530 in most regards. It's not just because its my newer toy, it's just plain obvious to me.

I have to agree. Unfortunately I sold my SE530 to help fund the W3 so I can't do an immeditae side by side comparison but my logic went like this.

I found UM2 (which I still DO have) and SE530 to be pretty close but a slight nod to the SE530. It's a little better. Yet in comparing UM2 to W3 I find W3 a lot lot better (but I get a great fit with regular complys, no siblance).

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Also, people that remark about Westone's extreme sibilance are just hearing something I don't. I own 2 pairs of the Westone 3 and 3 pairs of the SE530 (don't ask me why).............

Sorry to not honor your request, but....... why?

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having just compared both (and others too) back to back, I am with the others who think that the W3 is superior to the SE530 all around, and so is the IE8 for that matter. And btw among the 3 SE530 cost the most locally.

Where doyou live, NavyBlue????? On average, I would say the SE530 is $50 - $100 CHEAPER than the Westone 3's or IE8's. We can discuss/argue sonic quality all day long, but the price thing seems pretty cut and dry to me. If someone is otherwise, on the fence between SE530 and Westone 3, SE530 certainly gets the edge in price/value when you compare street price to street price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back