Shure SE530 vs. Westone 3?
Dec 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
Please only vote on this poll if you have listened to both IEM's. Which of these IEM's have the best sound quality and comfort? After you vote, please explain your choice. Thank you.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voted for Westone 3 because the cable is much better than SE530.

Thanks forsberg for explaining your vote. I wish others would do the same here.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 73
I'd be torn... The Westone 3 (as I heard it at the San Jose Can Jam; Doug let me borrow it for the night) had a spectacular warm sound that while not as accurate, was very euphoric. Of course the 530 is no slouch and is also very enjoyable while being more accurate tonally.

If you do a search, I've reviewed both shortly after that Can Jam.

Keep in mind this was a pre-production model. I haven't heard the production unit.

Regarding comfort: I felt the Westone 3 was slightly more comfortable, but don't have any comfort issues with the 530s.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 73
W3's sound quality and comfort is so much dependent on the tips you use...I own a W3 and it sounds fantastic plus super comfortable with comply foam...
man this is pretty much an easy choice hey, SE530 is being there for years now and W3 is there only for a month...don't you wanna try something new? think about the resell value too my friend because im sure eventurely you will upgrade~lol~ IMO...

I didn't vote because I only listened to Shure once 2 years ago...didn't audit it...it sounds good, comfortable,

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 73
i believe this is a double or maybe even triple post. i chose not to vote btw.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3 is IMO better than se530 in almost any regards

Yes, I chose W3 because;

-the cable is better.
-the bass extends deeper.
-the soundstage is larger.
-treble is MUCH more detailed.

Midrange may be a little better with SE530 but I will take 4 out of 5 edge in criteria any day.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I chose W3 because;

-the cable is better.
-the bass extends deeper.
-the soundstage is larger.
-treble is MUCH more detailed.

Midrange may be a little better with SE530 but I will take 4 out of 5 edge in criteria any day.

EXACTLY!

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3's sound quality and comfort is so much dependent on the tips you use...I own a W3 and it sounds fantastic plus super comfortable with comply foam...
man this is pretty much an easy choice hey, SE530 is being there for years now and W3 is there only for a month...don't you wanna try something new? think about the resell value too my friend because im sure eventurely you will upgrade~lol~ IMO...

I didn't vote because I only listened to Shure once 2 years ago...didn't audit it...it sounds good, comfortable,

right. IEMs started being on the market just a few years ago and is a pretty recent technology and is developing steadily. So the newer model and technology will usually be better than the old ones. Plus we see Westone devoted so much time into this long overdue product, it would live up to the expectations.

and W3 is great indeed!

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 73
I give the edge to the Westone's but I'm not quite ready to ditch the Shures. The Westone's have a delightful mid-range with crystal clear highs and mids. They're fantastic when listening to vocals or stringed instruments like classical guitar. The Shures sound great with POP or Rock. Both IEM's have their strong points.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 73
hard to choose, it all depends on what kind of music you listen to, i myself prefer the Se530, i am a person that likes the sound signature of the Se530. So i prefer the shure. The comfort between the two is around the same too, both excellent fit. Very comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back