Shure se425 vs Westone UM2?
Aug 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

zavster

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I am just wondering if anyone out there has ever tried or compared on this 2 earphones. As i am currently stuck in choosing between these 2.
I have previously had a shure scl4/e4 and i really like its clarity and definition but i sort of find it a bit dry or flat?
I mostly listen to more vocal oriented songs like those of hayley westenra, katherine jenkins and such.

From what i have gathered is that the UM2's are abit warmer and more bass but does this mean that its not as clear on its definition? The shure se425 are supposedly more analytical kind? so does that mean that it would be dry and flat?
any one with any experience on any?

So if anyone of you out there would be kind enough to give some of your 2cents on these 2 iem's would very much be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
however i couldnt in all conscience recommend the UM2

lol, why is this so? is it because they are too bass heavy? Do they sound good for vocals that i have mentioned?

The reason im not considering the SE535 is due to the price which is way over my budget and the SE530 for not having replaceable cables, which is the reason why im migrating from my e4c due to a broken cable.

Apart from that, has anyone out there tried the new Shure se425? How do they compare with the Shure e4c? I just want to know before i part with my $300.
i do hope that the SE425 would sound abit warmer and less dry compared to the e4c. Then that should make my life much easier.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 20
Not to many people have the 425s, they were on pre-order/back order till early August.

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:

lol, why is this so? is it because they are too bass heavy? Do they sound good for vocals that i have mentioned?

The reason im not considering the SE535 is due to the price which is way over my budget and the SE530 for not having replaceable cables, which is the reason why im migrating from my e4c due to a broken cable.

Apart from that, has anyone out there tried the new Shure se425? How do they compare with the Shure e4c? I just want to know before i part with my $300.
i do hope that the SE425 would sound abit warmer and less dry compared to the e4c. Then that should make my life much easier.

no, its that they just do nothing but make go "meh"  they feel so muted and dull, lifeless. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 20
hi!,

I see this thread hasn't been alive alot over the past half year , but in the meanwhile, the Shure's are out for longer.

Can anyone give more insights on the comparison asked by the OP: Shure SE425 v Westone UM2?

I am myself looking for an IEM and thinking about the following:
  1. Westone UM2
  2. Westone 2
  3. Shure SE315 (cheaper!)
  4. Shure SE425
(looking for natural sounding, as comfortable as possible ad with good 'openness' and soundstage if possible)
(without too much emphasis on specific frequency range (e.g. not unnecessary bassy))

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
hi!,

I see this thread hasn't been alive alot over the past half year , but in the meanwhile, the Shure's are out for longer.

Can anyone give more insights on the comparison asked by the OP: Shure SE425 v Westone UM2?

I am myself looking for an IEM and thinking about the following:
  1. Westone UM2
  2. Westone 2
  3. Shure SE315 (cheaper!)
  4. Shure SE425
(looking for natural sounding, as comfortable as possible ad with good 'openness' and soundstage if possible)
(without too much emphasis on specific frequency range (e.g. not unnecessary bassy))

I own a Shure SE315, they sounded good, the single-driver gave an exceptional sound that you can't hear with other earphones (you must have GOOD seal first). the bass is balanced even though it is the bassport technology (that's how they called it). the lows were OK. but not that astounding, compared to the mids and highs which are excellent. is it worth the price?., YES it does, with all the replaceable cables and wireform and of course the sound.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 20
I haven't heard the UM2, because I've heard previous Westone models and the the Westone house sounding doesn't fit for me. 

The Se425 is the most neutral sounding universal in ear I know and one of the best dual-drivers in my opinion. Due to the fact it has got a very flat frequency response it sounds very natural without nearly any emphasis. 

For me the comfort is given, but the soundstage and the overall resolution could be higher. Regarding to the price range, it is not a big deal. 
Voices are, however, very very intimidate and not as recessed as some others. You can like it, you can hate it also.

Why don't you just try them out, I mean both? Ordering via Amazo.. shouldn't be a big deal. In general they have been very accommodating  regarding to this issue. 
Quote:

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 20
I don't know if this helps... but I had both the 315 and 425 at the same time... I liked the 315 a lot, in fact thats why I tried the 425.  I don't think you really loose out in bass by going to the 425, but to me the sound is clearer with better treble and less emphasis on the vocals.  I ended up selling the 315's.  I don't think the 425's are really bass light, they don't have near as much as my Dre' Tours or even the Image S2's, but they have more than my e2c's.   I think they are great.

May 30, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Heard the SE420 but not the 425 and owned the UM2 for a while.

I would take the UM2 because it is generally smoother and more liquidy sounding where the Shures can be a little grainy with the treble sounding a bit metallic.  It's not terrible by any means but noticeable.  The Shures may show a bit more treble but at a cost.  The UM2 may not have quite as much treble but it has great clarity and smoothness.

May 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 20
Can't help with the UM2 - but here was my impressions with the SE315 vs SE425 (with a comparison to the SE420)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550673/review-shure-se315-vs-se425-differences-with-old-se420-shure-s-mid-tier-iem-s

@Spyro - the SE425's were quite an improvement over the SE420's - mainly in the high end.  They're by no means grainy (to me) - smooth mids, neutral and quite laid back.  Biggest change between the 420 and 425 was that the 425's had a little (and only a little) more sparkle in the highs.  It was needed though.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the time I can afford the 535's (have a few other purchases in mind first).

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 20
Can I ask the same question again? I'm torn between the Westone 2 and the Shure SE425. I listen mostly to female vocals, pop, and country and I think I can't go wrong with either. I do however like some soundstage and from what I've read, the 425's soundstage is a bit narrow. At the same time, I like to be analytical and this time, the 425's would win because of its flatter response. The W2s are a bit cheaper but the 425s have detachable cables. All said, +2 points for either. I like some bass in my sound, but not too overpowering. I prefer a cleaner, crisper bass than a thumping one. How do the trebles of these 2 compare? Which one should I go for? If only the W2's cables were detachable, that would make my decision easier.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 20
I don't prefer Westone UM2. They broke on me 4 times. And all I did was drop it on the floor. And I'm 5ft 3! I would recommend the Shure SE425. I would take that anyday. And I find the Shure SE425 are better in terms of SQ. Brighter and clearer although on the light bass region, a EQ setting is all it takes.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 20
UM2 will have much more bass.  The Westone will sound more "natural" over the Shure.  I can't say enough about the UM2.  While Shure is known for the midrange, I would take UM2 vocals over any product offered by Shure.  It just sounds more natural. 

UM2 is one of a few remaing IEM's still made in the USA.  Surprised to hear of a quality issue?  Westone has 2 year warranty and will replace a defect (literally) immediately so that is good piece of mind. 

SE425 will be mainly midrange oriented where UM2 will cover the spectrum a bit more expect treble is slightly rolled off.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Shure 425 is very underrated imho...very very smooth

Um2 i have heard only once. Fairly impressed. Good bass for a BA, a bit more lively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back