Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 25, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,281 of 6,081
Hi I got mine at Bic Camera in Ginza, they have a set for demo, and a brand new one which I bought. I haven't visited other Bic Camera stores or electronic stores so I am not sure about the availability of KSE1500, but like Chan said, some still around.

Layla, Layla II, Roxanne, and pretty much all top IEMs are available for demo at the Bic Camera store in Ginza. I didn't listen to KSE1500 before I bought it though, as I dislike the idea of sticking public used (though they do have alcohol wipe) IEMs into my ear.

May 26, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #2,282 of 6,081
  Transparency isn't everything. My BHSE-SR009 is, of course, way more transparent than the KSE1500  - I am more qualified than most people here (who only stick with IEMs in their lives and think owning the AK380 and Layla / KSE1500 makes them the king of the world) to comment on transparency here, with the Esoteric K01 - BHSE - SR009 setup. Sometimes you give up a little bit  transparency to get a bit more oomph, just like I enjoy my HE1000 much more recently. That makes things much more enjoyable. Therefore, yes, the Layla sounds a bit muffled in comparison with KSE1500, but that does not prevent the Layla from being the better overall IEM IMO. 

Lol, never heard that owning some sort of fancy audio equipment could make someone 'qualified'. 
popcorn.gif

Audiophiles are such funny beings.

May 26, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,283 of 6,081
Lol, never heard that owning some sort of fancy audio equipment could make someone 'qualified'. :popcorn:

Audiophiles are such funny beings.

You mean to tell me that I shouldn't try to talk down to motorcycle owners even though I have driven a Ferrari?

Anyway, it is easy to post words on a forum (proof is something different).

We all know how this thread was started. The video is the first post. It's the guy who started this forum. He is surrounded by expensive headphones. We all know he has the Layla, the AK380, the Stax headphones even before they are released to the public. We also know what he said about the KSE1500....nuff said.

May 26, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,284 of 6,081
Are you harboring a massive inferiority complex when it comes to the Layla? All you are doing is expressing your opinion and hoping if you say it enough times it will become fact. You like the sound of the Layla better than the KSE, congratulations, we get it. Why don't you trot back to the Layla forum and preach to choir but please do not state your opinion as fact.

[Mod edited]

He was stating it as his opinion, only his and not a universal fact. He clearly stated that we should respect each other's opinions to which you decided to trounce all over his. He prefers something else to your beloved. Stop having cows over it or you'll need to buy a ranch. 

That said, I also prefer the Shure but will not buy it because I hate the extra box thing. I'm still quite happy with my JH13fp and twag v3 cable combo. I know it may not be an absolute paradigm but other than that bit of extra low bass that actually comes in handy when cutting the lawn or when dealing with the noise of travel. I still like the overall voicing as much as other top IEMs and it has the kind of focus and timing I value. Nothing to diddle with and it plugs right in. I also would have a hard time going back to a universal from a comfort standpoint. I used Shure olives all the time and found them OK and about as neutral as any tip but I've been spoiled by customs.

I don't get too worked up about headphones. Like Louis Armstrong, I'm accustomed to top home kit and the on/in ear experience just isn't quite the same for me. Still very worthwhile with much pleasure to be had and clearly cheaper. Lots a value and fun here if we don't get our panties all up in there. 

May 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,285 of 6,081
[Mod edited]

He was stating it as his opinion, only his and not a universal fact. He clearly stated that we should respect each other's opinions to which you decided to trounce all over his. He prefers something else to your beloved. Stop having cows over it or you'll need to buy a ranch. 

That said, I also prefer the Shure but will not buy it because I hate the extra box thing. I'm still quite happy with my JH13fp and twag v3 cable combo. I know it may not be an absolute paradigm but other than that bit of extra low bass that actually comes in handy when cutting the lawn or when dealing with the noise of travel. I still like the overall voicing as much as other top IEMs and it has the kind of focus and timing I value. Nothing to diddle with and it plugs right in. I also would have a hard time going back to a universal from a comfort standpoint. I used Shure olives all the time and found them OK and about as neutral as any tip but I've been spoiled by customs.

I don't get too worked up about headphones. Like Louis Armstrong, I'm accustomed to top home kit and the on/in ear experience just isn't quite the same for me. Still very worthwhile with much pleasure to be had and clearly cheaper. Lots a value and fun here if we don't get our panties all up in there. 

I disagree. Of course Louis can legitimately prefer the Layla while finding it less transparent. But he is perpetually being voluntarily condescending in a way that makes it hard to accept his opinion, the form is so intentionally troll-some, the intent is blurred.

May 26, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,286 of 6,081
I disagree. Of course Louis can legitimately prefer the Layla while finding it less transparent. But he is perpetually being voluntarily condescending in a way that makes it hard to accept his opinion, the form is so intentionally troll-some, the intent is blurred.

Thank you Michael. I already notified the moderators to delete the offending posts without further inflaming this thread.

May 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,287 of 6,081

I also agree with Mimouille. There is a way to say something without being condescending to the people following this thread.

May 26, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,288 of 6,081

Head-Fi team: sense of humor--confirmed :wink:

Lighten up guys :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,289 of 6,081
May 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,290 of 6,081
May 27, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #2,292 of 6,081
Well, I think the first post by Louis was confusing enough to warrant questions. Spook made the observation (admittedly not so subtly-- but still). Louis second post had the chip-on-the-shoulder reply (highlighted by Mimouille) that one would only expect from a person who came to the KSE1500 thread looking for a dispute. He could have addressed the seeming contradiction without the "I'm more qualified" stuff.

Honestly, I thought Louis first post should have been posted on the Layla thread. And I posted about a preference for the voicing of another IEM here. I was, however, willing to explain without the condescending tone.

I know there may be a carryover effect from an earlier exchange, but can't we move on?

May 27, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #2,293 of 6,081
"Muffled" was relative, and only relatively to the KSE1500. The Layla is still quite astonishingly transparent, only not at electrostat level. For example, I can also say that the KSE1500 is muffled when compared with my SR009 setup. But do I think SR009 is the best of the best of the best simply because it is the most transparent transducer in the world? Not necessarily. I still prefer the HE1000 - is it muffled? Yes, when compared with the SR009, but no, compared with most other headphones. Want extreme transparency but invincible "musicality" at the same time? The new Orpheus may be the answer. It may be to some people, just not me. I'd rather listen to my custom K-10s. KSE1500 will probably rank 4th on my IEM list.

May 27, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,294 of 6,081
After a month with the KSE1500, I went looking for my next IEM. The Layla was on my shortlist. I went with the Roxanne ll instead. I made that decision based on something I gleaned from Jude. He posted somewhere that if he didn't grab the KSE1500, he would take his Roxanne.
The Roxanne ll has the same crossover tech as the Layla, but with a more musical tuning and more bass (from what I gathered). The Roxanne was certainly less transparent than the KSE1500. I was surprised that the Roxanne ll was also less capable in the sub-bass region than the KSE1500 (EQ-ed) and SE846.

I can only assume that if the Roxanne ll is the most bass capable of the Siren series, then I would have really been disappointed with the Layla.

May 27, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,295 of 6,081
After a month with the KSE1500, I went looking for my next IEM. The Layla was on my shortlist. I went with the Roxanne ll instead. I made that decision based on something I gleaned from Jude. He posted somewhere that if he didn't grab the KSE1500, he would take his Roxanne.
The Roxanne ll has the same crossover tech as the Layla, but with a more musical tuning and more bass (from what I gathered). The Roxanne was certainly less transparent than the KSE1500. I was surprised that the Roxanne ll was also less capable in the sub-bass region than the KSE1500 (EQ-ed) and SE846.

I can only assume that if the Roxanne ll is the most bass capable of the Siren series, then I would have really been disappointed with the Layla.

I need to spend more time with the new JHA Metal Jackets. In a recent Fujiya show last month, I found myself liking the Rox II more than Layla II.

However having said that for me I'm out of the home either with the KSE1500 or Tralucent Audio 1Plus2.2. The JH's haven't won me over that much yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back