Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 28, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #976 of 6,080

The only thing Shure is missing to turn it into a DAP is a memory card reader and a decent sized touchscreen and a a proper kernal plus the music player app software.  In end user cost this is really almost no additional cost meaning they could offer a DAP vs what they have today for only a little more.  I think v2 might be the same price but with DAP instead of DAC/amp.

Easier said than done I'd say (unless one goes the Android route). If you look at VentureCraft who's been making DAC/Amps for ages dip their toe in the DAP world (see the VALOQ), it's a great effort however pales by comparison to seasoned DAP makers when it comes to UI.

And of course if they do attempt the Android route (which seems to have some variety too like the Onkyo/Pioneer/Sony or the more customised AK style) but I think the dev and licencing fees are high there too.

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #978 of 6,080
  robm321,

Could you please explain your logic to the following statement?

"So far everyone is in agreement that the Layla's have been surpassed. That's a good sign."

Sincerely,
-Speed

I'll translate for you.  Sell all your IEMs and buy the KSE1500.  It's the bees knees.  the holy moly.  The boom to your shakalaka.  You've never heard anything better.  

Seriously though, when IEMs (yeah I know this includes a dac/amp) cost more than the TOTL headphones, I think it's time to rethink this.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #979 of 6,080
  The boom to your shakalaka.

Seriously though, when IEMs (yeah I know this includes a dac/amp) cost more than the TOTL headphones, I think it's time to rethink this.  

"Boom to your shakalaka." Hilarious! I wonder if you're from my generation.

No. The KSE1500 is the "rethinking."

We're all here, and we keep coming back, because when "Stripes" ("boom-shakalaka!") came out, no one thought headphones could compete with speakers on any level (except maybe Tyll). Then no one thought IEMs could compete with headphones (except maybe Jerry Harvey). For that matter, no one thought Bill Murray could do serious acting work (except maybe Bill Murray). And here we are now with the Orpheus 2 and the KSE1500 (and "Lost in Translation"). 

It is a totally valid point of view that neither should cost what they cost. It is outrageous in a sense. I get that. But, someone's got to make the door for others to walk through and show what can be done. The reason the KSE is priced among TOTL headphones is because it is not just an IEM. It's a statement piece. The statement is: IEMs can compete with headphones. It may not even be completely true, yet, but someone's got to envision it and attempt to realize it. I do not doubt, that, in time, with advancements like DSP, we'll have IEMs as good as headphones. 

As some other Germans say, "vorsprung durch technik."

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #980 of 6,080
I was afraid they would be this good (feedback, haven't heard them myself). I won't count on price coming down. We haven't seen that with the 846s. I got my first pair late Nov. 2013 and they broke just a month before two years. I had custom cables but didn't ever change back and forth. The new pair arrived under warranty in a 10 day turnaround. Then that pair quit, first one, then the other as I began changing out cables to see if they were the problem. I sent the Shure cables and both buds back to Shure and heard nothing after acknowledgement of receipt. I was certain they would charge me for the damage at the $270 each price so I ordered an open box set from a dealer. It was $834 and the only discount I could find.
I called Shure for an update and they were so apologetic that the techs hadn't handled things that they sent me a whole sealed box, not just buds and cable. I now have two sets with three metal boxes less than a month combined on them and was going to keep one for spare and order the Mojo. Now I wonder if I shouldn't put both pair on EBay, scrap the Mojo and buy the 1500s for just a bit more money. As I said, I don't see prices coming down. If anything, Shure seems to keep their dealers at retail. I got my first pair for $824 by calling a dealer who promised me their next pair.

The thing is, I'm going to be listening primarily to mp3s as I have almost my entire digital collection on my 128gb iPhone. There's lots I could spend what little I can afford on to upgrade but these new electro stats sound like priority #1. What would you do?

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #981 of 6,080
PS, the 846s may not be jh siren league but I do love the sound. I wasn't even that mad when the cable broke my 535 connectors(still don't know which one as the guys who built it in California say the tips were fine but I'm having them replaced, just in case). I won't pay the $200 for new 535 buds under repair unless I sell the two pair of 846s. The double strand silver and gold and enhanced two piece cable cost me over $500.
Strange times, Chord comes out with a less than expensive Hugo and Shure comes out with a SE846 buster. I never see anyone else with 846s and I suppose the 1500s will be more rare. This may pull prices on the more expensive used Harvey's down.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #982 of 6,080

We're all here, and we keep coming back, because when "Stripes" ("boom-shakalaka!") came out, no one thought headphones could compete with speakers on any level (except maybe Tyll). Then no one thought IEMs could compete with headphones (except maybe Jerry Harvey). For that matter, no one thought Bill Murray could do serious acting work (except maybe Bill Murray). And here we are now with the Orpheus 2 and the KSE1500 (and "Lost in Translation"). 

It is a totally valid point of view that neither should cost what they cost. It is outrageous in a sense. I get that. But, someone's got to make the door for others to walk through and show what can be done. The reason the KSE is priced among TOTL headphones is because it is not just an IEM. It's a statement piece. The statement is: IEMs can compete with headphones. It may not even be completely true, yet, but someone's got to envision it and attempt to realize it. I do not doubt, that, in time, with advancements like DSP, we'll have IEMs as good as headphones. 

LOL I did play my fair share of NBA Jam in high school.  Then some again on my smartphone when they released a updated version just for old times sake.  I agree with your point as IEMs are not as developed as headphones, although both were on strong upward trajectories and are pretty much leveling off.  One day it'll be like 1080p or 4k tvs where the baseline is set so high everyone will enjoy at least decent sound.  But I don't think that's how it works with Audio it seems.  Most people make do with their 4 inch woofers producing lots of bass!  

I absolutely think in terms of detail and dynamics IEMs can do it, but it's not the same in soundstage.  JH sirens have a magical little room effect that's different from any IEM.  IE800s are pretty good among others.  Hope to try the KSE's some day.  Hope it's quite the statement.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #984 of 6,080
  robm321,

Could you please explain your logic to the following statement?

"So far everyone is in agreement that the Layla's have been surpassed. That's a good sign."

Sincerely,
-Speed

Logic being, it would have to be better than a $2,500 IEM for me to have any interest in paying $3K. And the "good sign" is that every one that has the Layla and these has either preferred the Shures or said they were better, including Jude.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #986 of 6,080
The device can have the firmware updated when available,how can be done and is it possible to have 24/192 added?
Is all down to the DAC.

I'm gonna guess that if the DAC was capable of 24/192 via firmware update, they'd have made it 24/192 at the release. They are probably aware that 24/96 on a $3k IEM wasn't going to please folks. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #988 of 6,080

10 pieces hit the Hong Kong market a few days ago, supposedly the last until February. On first use the heavy cable led to excessive mechanical noise, which was fixed by bending the cable to rest against the head and by using the largest Comply foam tips that I could find. For the source, an AK240 line out (10dB reduction on the Shure input, no EQ on either device) seemed preferable to a computer using the Shure DAC.

After a few hours of listening, SQ is as remarkable as noted by Jude and AnakChan. This is the first IEM that I have not needed to EQ to sound neutral, and might be an end-game portable rig for me at least for a few years. More impressions to come after extended listening.

Welcome to Head-Fi and thank you for your pic's and brief impressions from all of us on this tread.  We are very anxiously waiting for more impressions!  

I want to say that I can't wait to get my hands on the little guys hopefully soon but...

Now I wonder if these IEM's are portable or simply transportable

My logic is in addition to having an external DAC/Amp coupled with a heavy (clumsy looking) cable that creates heavy mechanical noise when walking. If not cable is not set up just the right way it may effect the seal (from the ear canal to the earpiece) and this seems like many negative conditions to manage while traveling.

They may be great earpieces  I can listen too while siting at my desk but they don't sound like earpieces I can honestly travel with. I may need to keep the Layla's just as my travel pair and jack in the KSE-1500 while at work.

Hard to say but this is my impression at the moment...
Sincerely,
-Speed 

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #990 of 6,080

I still prefer a great speaker setup to anything headphones but the costs for that aren't comparable and make the Shure seem cheap. I also never thought the KSE1500 overpriced to begin with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back